A video I shot of how the Canon buttons work

So that you can take some crazy macro shot like this one?

Juza Nature Photography

Yep! :)
And if I ever get that good I'll be very happy!

You know, that website does illustrate a nice point: That a good photographer can use any darn camera they want to make a good image. The guy's shot with a 1Ds MkIII (OMG a pro!), a 20D (Wait, what do you mean a middle-range camera?), and a 350D (OH NOES, NOT ENTRY LEVEL, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!). And to top it all off, a Nikon D200. :lol:

yah very true - but also note he uses pro end glass on the them all. IT shows that good glass, good editing and a good photographer can pull wonders out of a lowend camera body!

OK, I'll just quickly change the AF area mode....
:thumbup: with one notable exception. I use AF-ON to focus rather than the half-pressed shutter button. Makes a much easier transaction for me. Focus with the thumb, fire with the finger.

Make that two exceptions. I don't have a clue about Canon's digital SLR layout and will not make assumptions as to its logic or lack of. I do have an old EOS 500N film camera and it has three identical shaped buttons on the opposite side of the top LCD. I really have to stretch and fumble my way to reach them. This also removes my trigger finger from the shutter release button. It's about 15 years old and I know I got used to it while it was in use.

BTW, I use AF-ON constantly;)
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Last edited:
A person who used to the ergonomic keyboard can type faster than with a regular keyboard. A person who used to a regular keyboard may type slower with the ergonomic keyboard. I type slower when I switch from regular keyboard to ergonomic. My wife do not even want to try (she type pretty fast). But now, I type slower with a regular Keyboard.

Once you learn a system, it become easy to use. It doesn't matter how or where the buttons are located. When I used my friends Nikon (D50 and D60), I need to spent sometimes to find the buttons I need. Does that mean D50 and D60 are bad? Of course not.

epp, we have to disagree about Canon's layout.

First of all, what do you mostly adjust when you're shooting? For me it's shutter, aperture and ISO. I rarely switch modes during a shot. I rarely switch WB during a shoot (I'm a portrait/artistic shooter, not a photojournalist). I rarely shoot in AI servo, I shoot almost exclusively in one shot mode.

As my video shows, all of the buttons I need to access are immediately available to my right hand without any assistance from my left. When I want to quickly bump the ISO while shooting my Canon, I don't have to remove my hand from the lens where it rests naturally and adjust it in what I feel is an unnatural position. Putting both hands right next to my face unbalances the camera and is awkward to me, which the Nikon system forces. I would instinctively remove the camera from my eye to change the ISO as it's oddly placed on the left side of the body.

To change the focus point on my camera, I don't have to go into any menus. I tap a button with my right thumb and rotate the index finger wheel to select the point I want. It's fast, easy and intuitive. My FEL button is also intuitively placed by my right thumb as is the AF-ON button, which I do use.

Having the WB and metering mode selection on the same button doesn't seem odd at all. They're as relevant to each other as the shutter and aperture are. To me it's not confusing in the slightest and I like the system. I prefer 3 buttons to 6. Nikon is cluttered with buttons and switches all over the place. If you have a hard time remembering what 3 buttons do, how do you remember what 6 do and their placement? Seems like a moot argument to me. Regardless, I don't often switch my WB settings in the middle of a model shoot, nor do I switch metering all that often. I do change aperture, shutter and ISO all the time, and as noted these are very conveniently located unlike the Nikon system where these critical controls are on two sides of the body vs. within reach of one hand or finger.

I want my power switch out of the way, I don't want it under my shutter button. That location makes little sense to me. I don't turn my camera on and off 50 times during a shoot. I don't want my camera off when I need it on. I don't want to accidentally turn it off. I like it being a very positive yet recessed switch that I use twice during a shoot. I turn it on when I start and I turn it off when I'm done.

For me, and what I shoot and how I shoot, the Canon system is far more comfortable and easy to use than the Nikon system. I've given the Nikon system two chances in the past to win me over and twice it failed to do so.

I also have very large hands and the cramped Nikon grip/shutter placement is very uncomfortable for me. The shutter release points darn near straight up on a Nikon which is uncomfortable and unnatural for me. I like the more angled/sculpted position of the Canon system. Holding a Nikon with my finger on the button causes unnecessary tension in the joints of my index finger.

I also find the Canon index finger wheel to be perfectly located, but then again I'm 6'5" and have huge mits. Perhaps someone of smaller stature wouldn't find it as comfortable as I do.

It's all a matter of perspective and preference.

Last edited:
Look Ma no hands!!!

Amazingly I have not touched a camera in over five years and I still get regular checks. :lmao: OMG, how does he do that? :lol:

Some people would be better off going out to shoot rather than talk, talk, talk about gear. They may actually learn to get shots that sell. Who cares if it takes all ten of my fingers plus a couple toes to set my camera? If my photo sells and yours just sit on your computer, I'm ahead.

This type of threads is funny but totally useless. It does not matter that much what gear you use or how exactly you use it as long as you make the sale.

I wonder why I don't see the members whose work is consistently good run their mouths in those threads. Maybe they're busy shooting?

Some people would be better off going out to shoot rather than talk, talk, talk about gear. They may actually learn to get shots that sell. Who cares if it takes all ten of my fingers plus a couple toes to set my camera? If my photo sells and yours just sit on your computer, I'm ahead.
Ahead in what? I don't shoot pictures for a living nor do I aspire to. I make far too much money doing other things that are unrelated. I suspect I make far more money at my job than you make selling pictures, I could be wrong, but I doubt it. It's also irrelevant.

Do I need to sell my pictures to be a good at photography? I don't think so. I've made no effort to sell my images.

This type of threads is funny but totally useless. It does not matter that much what gear you use or how exactly you use it as long as you make the sale.
Talking about the merits of different systems is more useful than "check out my first HDR attempt" or "what lens should I buy" threads. If you don't like the subject, go find another thread to post in. Simple solution, don't you think?

I wonder why I don't see the members whose work is consistently good run their mouths in those threads. Maybe they're busy shooting?
So the implication is that my photography sucks because I posted in here? LOL, grow up. Posting childish taunts and insults is hardly what I would expect from a "professional".

I soon as I saw my post showed up right after your latest, i knew you would take it as a personal thing.

"I've made no effort to sell my images." That may be true but I sure remember you getting excited not too long ago because someone was interested in one/some of your images.

"I suspect I make far more money at my job than you make selling pictures" You are most probably right. Residual income. I make far more money selling my paintings that I do selling photos.

"If you don't like the subject, go find another thread to post in." I like to laugh. Do you have a problem with that?

"Talking about the merits of different systems is more useful than "check out my first HDR attempt" or "what lens should I buy" threads." How exactly?

"So the implication is that my photography sucks because I posted in here?" I think you missed the key word: consistently.

"LOL, grow up. Posting childish taunts and insults is hardly what I would expect from a "professional" Posting them to get back at someone is mature/adult behavior?

And read me again. I am not a professional anymore.

"I've made no effort to sell my images." That may be true but I sure remember you getting excited not too long ago because someone was interested in one/some of your images.
Your memory is failing you. I took a gig (non-paying) with Patriot Girls, a non-profit organization that benefits Servicemen and women, police and firefighters.

I like to laugh. Do you have a problem with that?
Laugh all you like, but why poke fun at others in the process? It's not very mature.

How exactly?
How many "what camera should I buy" threads do we need a day?

I think you missed the key word: consistently.
Oh, so my work is inconsistent, I see. LOL

Posting them to get back at someone is mature/adult behavior?
Responding to your sophomoric post doesn't make me immature. I'm in essence telling you to take your schoolyard taunts elsewhere if you don't like the subject matter. There's no need to insult people because you don't like the discussion. Adults find better uses of their time, generally speaking.

And read me again. I am not a professional anymore.
That explains things to a degree I suppose.

Human nature/behaviour is fascinating to me. Especially when "I" have to get the last word in.

Here's my last word tonight....... I'm getting laid. What's you Friday night gonna be like? Bitching about the brand of camera you own that someone else doesn't use?

Good Luck and Good Night.

Human nature/behaviour is fascinating to me. Especially when "I" have to get the last word in.

Here's my last word tonight....... I'm getting laid. What's you Friday night gonna be like? Bitching about the brand of camera you own that someone else doesn't use?

Good Luck and Good Night.
Have fun! Wrap that rascal!

I don't think talking about button placement is "bitching" any more than discussing why the 24-70 might be better for weddings than the 24-105 is "bitching". It's a discussion.

Take epp post and my response. Quite civil. That's what one would expect on a discussion board, a civil discussion.

Have fun! I'll be here eating pizza and watching re-runs.

If you have a hard time remembering what 3 buttons do, how do you remember what 6 do and their placement?
The point is that I don't have to remember because they just make sense.

I don't want my camera off when I need it on. I don't want to accidentally turn it off.
Nice try, but Nikon is smart enough to place it in away that you can't possibly turn it off while shooting. I never have.

If you have a hard time remembering what 3 buttons do, how do you remember what 6 do and their placement?
The point is that I don't have to remember because they just make sense.
So you don't have to remember your button functions and locations? I'm not following you. With each system you do have to remember what button does what and where it's located. Why does memorizing the function and location of 6 buttons seem easier to you than memorizing the location and function of 3 buttons?

Nice try, but Nikon is smart enough to place it in away that you can't possibly turn it off while shooting. I never have.
There was no "try" about it. It's a fact I don't run around turning my camera on and off constantly during a shoot. If I'm constantly turning it off and on, there's a chance it will be off when I need it on and ready to shoot. Follow?

As for it not being bumped off being on top of the body, I'll take your word for it. I've never accidentally turned my Canon's on or off either.

Why does memorizing the function and location of 6 buttons seem easier to you than memorizing the location and function of 3 buttons?
I think you missed my point. Canon's "main" buttons on the top are all physically the same. The only thing to vaguely distinguish them is their location.

Nikon's controls are placed and shaped in such a way that they just make sense. So, I don't necessarily have to remember all of them because their function is instantly obvious.

There was no "try" about it. It's a fact I don't run around turning my camera on and off constantly during a shoot. If I'm constantly turning it off and on, there's a chance it will be off when I need it on and ready to shoot. Follow?

As for it not being bumped off being on top of the body, I'll take your word for it. I've never accidentally turned my Canon's on or off either.
OK, fair point, my camera is always on unless I'm changing batteries. I still find Canon's power switch annoying ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back