About to call the ringleader; RE: Group Shots

JustJazzie

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Sorry to make a new thread, but since it is a separate question, I wanted to make sure it wasn't over looked. I got her MIL's phone number and I am going to call her in a bit. She wants outdoor photos, but we are expecting 5-6 inches of snow the night before. I am trying to make a checklist of questions to settle while I am on the phone. I am VERY nervous, since I have never worked with a stranger before.

Settle on indoor vs outdoor and time
Tell her about clothing options
Find out what she wants from the shoot (Individual poses or just group etc)

Soo, what else?

Since you're not charging them anyway, I'd do both indoor and outdoor.

You might want to touch upon the idea of picking a good time of day to make sure the children are rested and not cranky.

Ask if she has any preconceived notions of what colors to wear, etc. It's not the absolute colors, but rather the harmonious blending of colors and styles.

Ask which room/place indoors gives you the cleanest background, and room for people to move around while you have your light gear set up.
Ask which photos she thinks need to be there (make a list of the individual photos and combinations).
If outside, any area with open shade (as opposed to direct sunlight)?
In line with Designer's post above, can you discuss a shooting schedule (as in we'll start with individual shot 1, then individual shot 2, then group shot 1, etc.).
Ask if you can be there beforehand to do test shots and check whether you'll have enough space to set up your gear. Also following Designer's idea, to decide on the posing area and do some test shots to confirm lighting, DOF, focus, etc.

Getting there plenty early will help the children get used to you being there.

Let her know that YOU are in charge not her. Be loud and forceful when directing people where to go.

I just took a photo mere hours ago that had 60+ people in it. I just shouted, told people where to go and to shut up and look at the camera.

Isn't this just a holiday family photo?? If they wanted a session that's this involved it might have been better to have referred them elsewhere. Since this seem to be a commitment maybe explain what you plan to do and keep it relatively simple so they have realistic expectations.

If you haven't done a lot of photos in snow (it doesn't snow a lot where I live) I'd go outdoors early and do some test shots to see what will give you a proper exposure, especially if it's bright and sunny with all that white snow. If you've taken a lot of snowy day photos then you probably know what to do.

I'd keep it to not too many different poses, depending on how cold it is you'd probably start getting runny noses (the 2 yr. old might be the one who will have it running down his face and not notice or care, or might be rubbing his nose). So I'd get done as efficiently as you can. I wouldn't promise too many different finished pictures so they expect one or three or whatever and if they get more, then great. Or maybe a few out in the snow and some indoors would be an option.

Since you're not charging them anyway, I'd do both indoor and outdoor.

You might want to touch upon the idea of picking a good time of day to make sure the children are rested and not cranky.

Ask if she has any preconceived notions of what colors to wear, etc. It's not the absolute colors, but rather the harmonious blending of colors and styles.
Thanks! I will add these to my checklist. (Still waiting for her to call me back) indoors and out, might be a good option! I'll see what she says when she hears we are expecting so much snow.
Ask which room/place indoors gives you the cleanest background, and room for people to move around while you have your light gear set up.
Ask which photos she thinks need to be there (make a list of the individual photos and combinations).
If outside, any area with open shade (as opposed to direct sunlight)?
In line with Designer's post above, can you discuss a shooting schedule (as in we'll start with individual shot 1, then individual shot 2, then group shot 1, etc.).
Ask if you can be there beforehand to do test shots and check whether you'll have enough space to set up your gear. Also following Designer's idea, to decide on the posing area and do some test shots to confirm lighting, DOF, focus, etc.
We will be shooting at my friends house, so I should be able to arrive early and setup with no issues! I was planning on bring a background stand with muslins. Is this a bad idea?
Getting there plenty early will help the children get used to you being there.

Let her know that YOU are in charge not her. Be loud and forceful when directing people where to go.

I just took a photo mere hours ago that had 60+ people in it. I just shouted, told people where to go and to shut up and look at the camera.
oh, Runnah, I never know when you are joking!

Isn't this just a holiday family photo?? If they wanted a session that's this involved it might have been better to have referred them elsewhere. Since this seem to be a commitment maybe explain what you plan to do and keep it relatively simple so they have realistic expectations.

If you haven't done a lot of photos in snow (it doesn't snow a lot where I live) I'd go outdoors early and do some test shots to see what will give you a proper exposure, especially if it's bright and sunny with all that white snow. If you've taken a lot of snowy day photos then you probably know what to do.

I'd keep it to not too many different poses, depending on how cold it is you'd probably start getting runny noses (the 2 yr. old might be the one who will have it running down his face and not notice or care, or might be rubbing his nose). So I'd get done as efficiently as you can. I wouldn't promise too many different finished pictures so they expect one or three or whatever and if they get more, then great. Or maybe a few out in the snow and some indoors would be an option.

With all due respect, I'm not sure I agree with you. If they are all aware I am NOT a professional and have not done large group work before, and I am not accepting any money then in what way would it be better to tell them to go somewhere else? I'm sure most photographers worth contacting are already booked for the holidays. And, if I am supposed to refer out every time an opportunity like this comes up, then how will I ever get practice in?

No joke, serious.

80+ female bikers after a hour+ ride with me between them and the loo. Done in <5 minutes.
_DSC1899_BANNER__Medium.jpg

They didn't all form that way because I asked them once, nicely! ;)

...With all due respect, I'm not sure I agree with you. If they are all aware I am NOT a professional and have not done large group work before, and I am not accepting any money then in what way would it be better to tell them to go somewhere else? I'm sure most photographers worth contacting are already booked for the holidays. And, if I am supposed to refer out every time an opportunity like this comes up, then how will I ever get practice in?
As I'm sure you're aware, I'm a big proponent of 'dont' take on work you can't accomplish', but in this case, I don't see an issue. The clients are aware that this is an unpaid job, and that you are not a full-time working photographer, so the worst thing they lose is a little bit of time. If they really aren't pleased with the results, they can pay for someone else to do it. I think you should, and more importantly I know you can do this. I've seen your work, and this job isn't difficult. What ever you do, be professional; take charge, and let them know you're the boss (even if you have to stand on a milk crate to do it!).

80+ female bikers after a hour+ ride with me between them and the loo. Done in <5 minutes.
_DSC1899_BANNER__Medium.jpg

They didn't all form that way because I asked them once, nicely! ;)

...With all due respect, I'm not sure I agree with you. If they are all aware I am NOT a professional and have not done large group work before, and I am not accepting any money then in what way would it be better to tell them to go somewhere else? I'm sure most photographers worth contacting are already booked for the holidays. And, if I am supposed to refer out every time an opportunity like this comes up, then how will I ever get practice in?
As I'm sure you're aware, I'm a big proponent of 'dont' take on work you can't accomplish', but in this case, I don't see an issue. The clients are aware that this is an unpaid job, and that you are not a full-time working photographer, so the worst thing they lose is a little bit of time. If they really aren't pleased with the results, they can pay for someone else to do it. I think you should, and more importantly I know you can do this. I've seen your work, and this job isn't difficult. What ever you do, be professional; take charge, and let them know you're the boss (even if you have to stand on a milk crate to do it!).
thank you for boosting my confidence here a bit. I'll be sure to pack my heels. :)

Hyper youth's I was yelling quite a bit.

MCIGroup by runnah555, on Flickr
As for the yelling.... I'll try to bring out my dominant side, but she is hidden pretty deep down in there! Looks like I'll need that flash after all!

I wouldn't use muslin for a backdrop. Muslin shows wrinkles, and is usually worse than nothing.

Either very wide paper or just use whatever you find there, such as a blank wall or a distant mountain (OOF).

I wouldn't use muslin for a backdrop. Muslin shows wrinkles, and is usually worse than nothing.

Either very wide paper or just use whatever you find there, such as a blank wall or a distant mountain (OOF).
If we can do it at my house, I can hang them to De wrinkle the night before. And with black and white I seem to usually be able to darken/brighten enough in post to blow out any wrinkles. So hopefully that a not an issue!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back