About to order Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, is it worth it?

sarasphotos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am about to order the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 lens. Anyone recommend it or not recommend it? Any info on it or pics you have taken with it would be great!!! thanks! I want this to be a lens I use alot!

What do you find yourself most commonly taking photos of?

What body are you using?

People/portraits, Nikon D3000

with the D3000, you will have to manually focus it, but it is a great little portrait lens!

Correct; you will need an in-body focusing motor for it to AF, which your camera unfortunately doesn't have. That said, it is an excellent lens, and a real value for the price.

It says it is a AF...is that only on some bodys?

AF = ability to focus with bodies that have a motor built in.

AF-S = ability to focus on all bodies.

Your D3000 has no motor in the body to control an AF lens so you need to find an AF-S lens. I would suggest a 35mm f1.8. The 35mm focal length is easier to use for more situations and it has AF-S to autofocus. Plus it isn't that much more expensive....especially if you can find a used one.

For the d3000 you will need to buy AF-S lenses. AF lenses will not autofocus on that camera.

Thank you so much for the info! I guess the lens that came with my camera spoiled me to auto focus! I just thought all lens auto focused. haha I'm learning so much :)

YOu can get the 35mm 1.8 at best buy. I have that lens and it stays on my camera. I also have the 50mm 1.8 but I've used it for like 2 minutes and then put it back. If you are shooting children or anything that moves, it is very hard to focus.

Thank you so much for the info! I guess the lens that came with my camera spoiled me to auto focus! I just thought all lens auto focused. haha I'm learning so much :)

you should take a look at the af-s 35mm 1.8! its a little bit more expensive, but you will have the autofocus.
you can also look at the af-s 50mm 1.4g

you should take a look at the af-s 35mm 1.8! its a little bit more expensive, but you will have the autofocus.
you can also look at the af-s 50mm 1.4g

Yeah you could get the af-s 35mm 1.8 for around 190 on Amazon or B&H.

although like he said, I would spend a little more and get the 50mm 1.4 AF-S lens. Or you can get the 85mm AF-S lens which is the idea length for portraits with your camera. Although some other people might have better suggestion.

It's pain in the butt looking for Lenses for non-AF motor body. That's the main reason why I returned my D5000. Nothing worst than finding the lens you want and then find out it's not meant for your camera. But there are many lenses for your body, gotta keep looking and asking which lens is best for you.

It's pain in the butt looking for Lenses for non-AF motor body. That's the main reason why I returned my D5000. Nothing worst than finding the lens you want and then find out it's not meant for your camera. But there are many lenses for your body, gotta keep looking and asking which lens is best for you.

It isn't that hard to find lenses... there are only a couple popular ones that are AF, not AF-S.

And Nikon is coming out with AF-S versions anyways.

It isn't that hard to find lenses... there are only a couple popular ones that are AF, not AF-S.

And Nikon is coming out with AF-S versions anyways.

I understand there are a lot of lens out there that are AF-S but not every lens. Like you said there are a couple popular one but it's AF, not AF-S. That won't work on D3000 or D5000. The one she wanted is 50mm 1.8 at only $120. That's the lens I wanted as well but it wont' AF on my body. And then there's the 85mm 1.8 lens that I wanted, won't fit either. Nikon is coming out with a lot of new one yes, but that also mean it's going to cost a lot more. Plus it's harder to find used AF-S lens. Maybe not in a couple years but as for right now, it is.

Sara, you can try other company like Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina they are all 3rd party lens maker but also make great lenses as well. All I know is Sigma lens that has HSM, will work for your camera. I don't know about the other company, anybody want to chine in on Tamron and Tokina?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back