About to take an awesome adventure - need help first!

Mc9423

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone! So in a little over a week I'll be headed to Madagascar for 3.5 months doing a semester abroad. My focus is on biodiversity, so I'll be looking at (and hopefully taking pictures of!) a multitude of wildlife.

Well, I've been reading a bit about photography and I'm getting really interested. Unfortunately, the only camera I own right now is my iPhone 5c. So my question is this: should I invest in a DSLR now, with only knowing the bare basics before I leave, or should I get a couple of attachment lenses for my iphone and make the best out of what I've got?

With a week to go and you are asking this ... smells like a troll to me.
If the OP responds to the thread, I will contribute some information ... but I suspect we won't hear back.

While I realize that a week before I leave is an incredibly short time, I have absolutely no idea what about this could scream "troll" - I'm seriously just looking for advice.

With a week until you leave, you are best to figure out your budget and see what you can buy.
Don't forgot about memory cards, hopefully a laptop to store those images, etc. so you can keep shooting unless you plan on buying *alot* of memory cards.
Just put the camera in AUTO and go have fun on your trip.

It depends; are you likely to actually use a DSLR? A lot of people find having to lug them around annoying. Of course as astro mentioned, your budget is all-important. I suspect a higher-end superzoom P&S might be something that would serve you better; they're more geared for those who don't have a lot of background knowledge, tend to be much more compact, and turn out pretty decent images for the most part.

If the OP responds to the thread, I will contribute some information ... but I suspect we won't hear back.
Geezzz... did someone wake up on the wrong side of their red planet, or did their Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator misfire?

Attachment lenses for the iPhone aren't going to help you much for wildlife. Figure out your budget and consider the following for the bare necessities:

-Memory cards for the camera (they fill up fast)
-A way to back up pictures (laptop)
-A decent DSLR (this will depend on your budget which you have not provided so it's hard to recommend)
-Batteries for the camera
-A lens, something like a 70-300mm zoom will work
-A wider lens for the rest (a kit lens, one that comes with the camera, would probably be fine)

While I realize that a week before I leave is an incredibly short time, I have absolutely no idea what about this could scream "troll" - I'm seriously just looking for advice.

Excellent. (there have been a lot of spam posts recently by "trolls" = first posters and odd requests)

If you have the inclination to do some reading up, then a dSLR would be a wonderful investment.
Your camera manual will be your friend - read it over and over.
If you haven't the time to learn about aperature/shutter speed/ISO, then astroNikon's suggesting about shooting in "Auto" will serve you well.

Backup your photos often and in at least two places that are separated (a cheap external hard drive ... or two) would be great.
If you are taking a computer then one copy on the computer's internal hard drive and another copy on an external hard drive).

If you can read up on how to interpret a photo's histogram, ... and exposure composition, then you will get the exposure right for most of your shots.
That will make it a LOT easier to post-process/edit your photos later.

Not sure what your budget is, but if you outline the type of shooting you want to do, most reputable sales assistants should be able to narrow done the choices for you.
Again, depending on your budget, you may not want to get one of the dSLR "packages" (usually a camera body and two kit lenses ... like 18-55mm and 55-200mm)
These "kit" lenses are "OK" but are not high quality lenses. Again, ask the sales staff for other options. You may well find that it is worth upgrading to higher quality lenses.
If "wildlife" means animals at some distance, then you will a telephoto lens. This Nikon lens has a good reputation (Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED IF AF-S VR) ... but again ask. Also hold one and see if it feels too heavy for you.

If you are going to be away from electricity for any length of time, you might consider a second battery and extra memory cards.

Best of luck and now we know you are a real person, please shoot back any questions you have (before you go or when you are there)

Geezzz... did someone wake up on the wrong side of their red planet, or did their Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator misfire?

Yeah, I think you may be right. Far too paranoid than I should have been.
Unreservedly apologise to Mc9423... my bad.

Last edited:
I wouldn't but lenses for iPhone. The suggestion for a good bridge camera is good, I think madagasker is generally bright. I'd say figure out your budget. Subtract enough for few spare batteries and memory cards and but the best bridge camera you can afford.

Thanks for all of the advice everyone! I think I'll definitely go the high-end superzoom p&s route - I didn't even realize that was a good option! It seems to fit my needs perfectly: great optical zoom, decent image quality, not too pricey, and compact for lots of traveling. Sounds like a great way to get started in this :) Time to start looking at different cameras! (I'm seriously considering the Fuji FinePix S1, Olympus Stylus SP100, and Canon SX700 right now.)

I agree with the small super zoom. A dslr probably won't be of any extra help to you and it would probably get annoying! When you get back, if your interest in photography still remains, I would consider buying one.

On a different note, I see you're a fellow South Carolinian. Nice. I assume you're going with a college? If so, which one? I just started law school at USC.

Have fun!!

Both. Now I'm on the wrong side of the planet, I'll have to walk it because the space modulator misfired, and worse yet I've got a scribnif full of shrapnel. So ya, bit grumpy at the moment.

Lol

I believe in better late than never but you're pushing it just a tab bit.

Anyhow, I have some experience with P&S but nothing past say 5x. You're going to want 15X minimum with 20-30X being the preferred choice. I don't know your budget but would opt for a DSLR. You can pick up a D5200 or D7100 which both comes with 24mp sensors. Thats more than most P&S cameras. These are crop sensor cameras which gives you a little more reach. The D7100 comes with twin memory card slots as well...the second slot can be set up for back up in case the other ends up corrupted. I would pair this with a 70-300mm VR (VR model only!). If you got the cash, a Nikon 80-400mm (preferably the new model). That is probably the smallest setup I would take for an African/Madagascar trip. I would load up on 32GB memory cards...maybe even consider buying a 1T external portable hard drive.

Here's a good article for you: The Best Superzoom Camera | The Wirecutter
Basically, the Olympus SP-100 is the best choice, but I don't know what the weather is like in Madagascar. If you think you'll be facing some rainy days, definitely get the Fujifilm Finepix S1, as it is sealed against water and dust. Not waterproof - but water resistant. Important to understand the difference. You'll probably still need to take some decent care of it in moderate to heavy rain, but light rain shouldn't be worrisome with the Fuji.

Most reactions

Back