acessories questions

Graci67

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hey everyone :) I will be getting my first slr camera in a few days.. a nikon d5000. its coming with the 18-55 mm zoom lens ( wish i could have gotten the 55-200 mm lens too, but later :wink:) anyway, I would like to get at bag to carry everything in, as well hold the camera when im not using it because i want to protect it... any suggestions on a good bag?

im also wondering what some good beginner accessories are that I should throw in there.. things that are handy to have in case i need them, things like that. any suggestions? thanks!

I like Lowepro bags, but there are many different brands, types & styles of bags to choose from. I suggest going into a well stocked camera shop and getting your hands on some different bags.

As for accessories, it can't hurt to have extra batteries and memory cards on hand.

What type of shooting would you be doing most? If you shoot people (especially indoors) then I'd suggest a flash like the SB600. If you plan to shoot landscape type shots, then I'd suggest a tripod and a circular polarizer.
A good addition to your kit would be a 'fast' lens. That is a lens with a large maximum aperture. The usual recommendation for an affordable, fast lens is something like the 50mm F1.8.

i would suggest using your camera BEFORE buying accessories. once you find out what you need, go get it, but you dont want to buy all this extra junk and never use it..

Im not sure what kind of shooting I will be doing.. mostly outdoors, people ect. im in college to earn my bachelors degree in photography so I probably will be doing a little bit of everything until i graduate. Photocist, I agree. I think I will get the feel of my camera and figure out what I like, then I will go from there.

anyone else suggest anything? :wink::wink:

im in college to earn my bachelors degree in photography
Get a better camera than the D5000....and get a good lens.
I'd suggest spending at least $2000 on camera & lens.

I cant go over 700 dollars right now with my income as it is. the d5000 is the best I can afford ;)

Technically, you could use any DSLR, so the D5000 will be OK....but you are "in college to earn my bachelors degree in photography"....so I would think that getting a pretty good camera would be high on your list. I understand that even the D5000 isn't cheap, but if you are buying a camera to use, maybe every day, for the next 4+ years....then it might be a better investment to get something above entry level.

On another note, do you have an idea of the type of work you want to do after getting degree in photography? I ask because most photography careers don't technically require a degree and having one may be an advantage...but maybe not. Also, many photographers own/run their own business...and all too often, they fail...not because they are poor at photography, but because they are poor at business.

So if you said that you wanted to be a wedding/portrait/commercial photographer, I'd suggest majoring in business, rather than photography.

Remote shutter release? I nabbed a spanking brand new one (cable) for $9.99. Works a charm any time I've used it.

Microfiber cloths... you can always use those. Memory cards... you can never have enough. At least 1 extra battery (you WILL run out your battery, eventually, and wish you had an extra one). Solid tripod (not a $20 wal-mart tripod).

Things to add as you go along... Polarizer filter, ND filter set (or a Fader ND), detachable camera strap, step-up/step-down rings of various sizes to cover all the lenses you'll eventually get, lens pen, battery grip, remote, external flash, lights, backdrops (at this point, it's all about that third or fourth mortgage and realizing that college is wasted on your kids unless they earn it themselves which builds character).

Most reactions

Back