Adapters and third party lenses

MVPernula

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Heya!

I've recently aquired my A7ii and I'm loving it, now I'm just missing lenses I used to have on my Nikon system. I'm mainly looking at a 70-200mm 2.8 model, and since I know mirrorless bodies are fantastic for adapting lenses I made sure to look at the used market for different good deals. Even some used Sony E lenses (like the 70-200) is way out of budget, so I'm looking at Canon glass mostly.

As their glass seems to be the cheapest out of the different manufacturers and seem to be a popular choice for Sony, Canon is my choice. Today I found a Sigma 70-200 2.8 ii EX APO HSM DG MACRO for around 2500kr (swedish krona), which is a steal considering the specs.

Though I am concerned.. Will it work properly with a Canon Ef AF adapter?
I've heard that some wont work at all, and if it doesn't I'll have to look for something else.
I don't have the adapter now, so it's not like I can test it beforehand.

Many thanks!

Sigma have an adapter for their EF to E mount; Sigma MC-11 I think..

Would that adapter work for other EF(s) glass also? Such as Canons own lenses.
Edit:
Why not google for myself?
Yes it works with Canons own glass.
Thank you!

Last edited:
Reactions: D7K
It does however seem like it only supports more recent sigma lenses, not the older model I'm currently looking at.
So that's a bummer.

There are a range of adapters giving AF with EF lenses with apparently mixed reliability.
My preferred option is to go with older lenses & MF adapters. Allows much more variety on mucjh less expenditure.
Does the TechartPro adapter work on the A7ii (I know it only works on later type E-mount bodies) It gives a Leica M mount that is focused by the adapter, allowing it to be adapted to manual SLR lenses & still give AF! - The adapter probably costs more than all my budget adapters combined & doesn't work with my current bodies but is still tempting :)

You may want to look into a sony adapter. There are many good lenses Minolta AF lenses that are very reasonable. The 70-210 f4 mini beercan comes to kind. I used to have one I used on a Minolta film camera and it was exceptional for a zoom. Not sure which adapter but it is worth a look through flickr pages on the various lenses. I know its not a fast lens but im only giving you an example for alternative adapted, affordable glass. Here is a review on that Tamron Tamron 70-200mm F/2.8 review

Most reactions

Back