Advice needed

mattcavens

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi I’m looking for some advice if anybody can help.
I've just taken up photography and would like to concentrate my time on macro.

My kit consists of a Canon Eos 400d camera with kit lens and EF 50mm f/1.8 II and Canon EF-S 17-85mm f-4.0-5.6 USM IS AF Zoom Lens.

I’m thinking of purchasing one of the following lenses
Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens
My question which one of the above lenses would be more beneficial.
Any advice would be kindly appreciated.

I would want the 100mm over the 60mm as it will give you a much more comfortable working distance (from the subject).

But why not just get a $25 aspherical achromatic kenko closeup lens for your 17-85? The quality is just about identical. Many or most macro shots are around F16 and above so the 2.8 aspect of those lenses is only useful for non-macro shots.

Although an f2.8lens by construction will let in more light than an f5.6 even at different apertures hence a larger aperture lens is always brighter than a smaller aperture lens (remember large aperture is a small f number)(I think/hope this bit is right)

Aside from that a dedicated macro lens is a great lens - though also consider the sigma line of macro prime lenses (that is lenses of a fixed focal length) - the 105mm, 150mm and 180mm - they all come with lens hoods and tripod collars (150 and 180mm for certain, don't know about the 105mm) - - which is something that the canon 100mm comes without.

Any of the suggested macro lenses will be sharp and very good at macro work - though the longer the focal length the longer your working distace (distance to bug!) and thus the less chance you have to scare the bug away - above 100mm is a good range to start with.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back