Advice on buying my first landscape lens?

mtk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone,

I've been shooting a lot with my 50mm lens which was the first lens I've ever bought. However I have been shooting a lot of landscapes lately, and I think its time I get a lens specifically for that purpose. Does anyone have any advice on what is a good lens for me to purchase? Bear in mind I am still relatively new to photography, so the lens doesn't have to be that great (or expensive), but one that will do the trick and help me learn, much like the 50mm has helped me learn.

Any ideas or suggestions are much appreciated. I have a Canon EOS 550D by the way. Cheers

Suggesting a lens for landscape is a little tricky for me. I have a 16-35mm L IS, a 24-105mm L IS and a 70-200mm L IS and I find that I use them all for landscapes, with 24-105mm being the one that gets used the most. I use the wide end (24mm) for broad landscapes meant to show the "magnitude" of the "land" and I use the 105mm end for more "initimate" landscapes. I also use the 70-200mm for "intimate" landscapes as well. Depending on what it is that you want to shoot, then one of the EF-S 17-85 or the EF-S 18-135 or the EF-S 18-200 may do, then there is always the EF-S 55-250. So much depends on what type of landscape photography you want to do.

When you say that the lens "doesn't have to be that great (or expensive)" then I think you are going to find that a "cheap" lens will give you less than satisfactory images, because at the distances that you might be shooting landscapes, all the "flaws" in the lens will show up, particularly if the lens does not focus well at long distances - this can only serve to frustrate you and you will be back here posting images and asking us "why aren't my images sharp" - trust me, I've seen it happen. Lenses, like camera bodies, are a precison piece of equipment and like so many other things in life, you get exactly what you pay for. If Canon lenses are a bit too much for your wallet (and I do understand that they might be), then look at some of the 3rd party lenses like those from Sigma, Tamron and Tokina. I cannot give you any advice on these products, except to say that you might want to look at them, because I do not own any, nor have I ever used any of them. Maybe some of the others on the forum will chime in with their thoughts on these lenses.

Regardless what you decide, do your research, the web is a great source of information on just about anything w.r.t. lenses - look for reviews from folks who have used a lens you might be considering and get some opinions on it. HTH.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

If you are looking to go really wide then the Sigma 10 -20 is a great lens. This will act like a 16 - 35 on a full frame. I used it with the 400D 4 years ago, and was happy with the results - I don't have it any more as I lost it when shooting landscapes around Queenstown in New Zealand - in the days when I shot nothing but jpegs. If new prices scare you, have a look at quality used. You might get a 24 - 105 at a reasonable price used, and it's a good lens.

Excellent advice by Westernguy. As he stated, almost any lens can be used for landscapes. What does your 50mm lack and what is your maximum budget for a new lens?

Suggesting a lens for landscape is a little tricky for me. I have a 16-35mm L IS
Your 16-35mm has IS? That's an expensive modification. ;) :lol:

and I think its time I get a lens specifically for that purpose.
I agree with the comments above. You don't necessarily get a lens 'specifically for landscape'. You could easily use your 50mm exclusively.

If you want something with a wider view, then that's what you should look for. But you might want something longer (narrower).
The 'typical' landscape lens is a wide angle lens, so if that's what you're looking for there are a few options.

The typical lens that comes with that camera is an 18-55mm zoom lens. Something like that may be something that will work for you. There are 'ultra-wide' lenses like the 10-20mm Sigma or 10-22mm Canon.

Sigma 10-20. Get the 3.5 if you have the money but the 4-5.6 is good too.

Suggesting a lens for landscape is a little tricky for me. I have a 16-35mm L IS. Your 16-35mm has IS? That's an expensive modification. ;) :lol:

Yes it would be...I sometimes forget that not every lens with a red ring around it is an IS lens. ;) Thanks for the catch... :thumbup:

Not to hijack this thread, but Big Mike, I am curious where your saying about apples and ideas originated- a Big Mike original or is there somewhere else to attribute it? I like the "philosophy" behind the saying and I am just curious - that's all.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Most reactions

New Topics

Back