Advice Please

sxesweets

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm trying to find a camera (dslr) that would be a good match for me.

Background...
I had a Pentax k100D which I was learning on very successfully. It was stolen just over a year ago and I've been frustrated with my pictures ever since. I was given a panasonic lumix fz18 last christmas which I have been using up to now and I'm going nuts partly due to the reaction time, or lack there of... among many other issues. I have spoken to a few people and am at the point where I'm realizing that it's not me it is in fact the camera and I seem to have hit the limitations.

Now...
I have been looking at various models and am not sure what way to turn. I am currently comparing:
Canon Rebel XSi 18-55 kit $699 or 18-55 and 75-300 kit for $1039
Pentax k200D 18 - 55 kit $679 or 18-55 and 50-200 kit for $849
Nikon D60 18-55 kit $629 or 18-55 and 50-200 kit for $899
(Toying with the idea of a D80 when the D90 comes out at the end of the month)

I am not sure what way to turn, any imput is appriciated. I take pictures of EVERTHING. My dogs, kids, scenery, cars, random objets, people...

Which camera is well rounded, easy to use, and something that I can grow into. As well what is a good combination of lenses to start with?
And any other advice that you can provide.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to read throught this
Cheers :)

I did a bunch of research before I bought a dslr a couple months ago (consumer reports, magazines, sales people, internet, etc.). Only thing I found was that there was no consensus. Everybody had their own opinion as to which was best.

I wound up buying a Sony and have been pleased with it... not that I would know the difference given my limited photography experience! That being said, I have had no problems using it, navigating menus, etc.

As for the lenses, I went with a 18-55 and 70-300. I'm glad I added the zoom lense because 18-55 won't get you much closer to your subject.

Personally I think a lot of your decision comes down to a couple of things.

First, how serious are you about photography and how far do you want to go. The average shooter would be fine with almost any system on the current market. Keep in mind, you are not buying a camera you are buying a system. The body is just one part of that system. Once you define that some systems may fall out of the running as they may not meet your needs.

An example would be Sony for me. For the average shooter a Sony would be fine. Me I'm a sports shooter. Sony can't match my gear for shooting sports. And before any of the Sonyites start screaming, show me a Sony 400mm f2.8 prime and we will talk. Not every shooter is going to want or need that kind of lens. But knowing what systems can fill your needs is important.

Secondly, what fells good to you. Go to a good camera store. Get an understanding of the layout of the different cameras. Where are the function buttons, how easy is it for you to operate etc. What feels good in your hands.

I grew up on Nikon F & F2 film cameras with motor drives and a bulk film back on one. All the talk about big heavy bodies and lenses really doesn't mean much when you have lugged that kind of gear around. If you have never experienced old gear like that then size and weight may mean something. But what will mean something is how the layout feels in your hands. If it doesn't feel good in your hands you won't want to use it.

Along with that is which bodies most meet your needs. If I were shooting mostly low light no flash then I would be looking at Canon or Nikon as they handle high ISO the best. If I were shooting a lot of daylight or flash stuff any of the systems would give good results as you can keep you ISO down.

Remember, if you do a little homework you should end up with a system that will last you for years and through several body upgrades. And that is the important part, being happy with what you use. Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

Untitled-1.jpg

It's very useful

I'll give you the vote for the D80 or greater simply because you can use most all lenses. If you put an old film SLR lens on a D60, you can't focus or meter

~Michael~

I did a bunch of research before I bought a dslr a couple months ago (consumer reports, magazines, sales people, internet, etc.). Only thing I found was that there was no consensus. Everybody had their own opinion as to which was best.

I wound up buying a Sony and have been pleased with it... not that I would know the difference given my limited photography experience! That being said, I have had no problems using it, navigating menus, etc.

As for the lenses, I went with a 18-55 and 70-300. I'm glad I added the zoom lense because 18-55 won't get you much closer to your subject.

I have been running around for so long trying to find the "best" camera and have found the same issue as you. Everyone has an opinion and they are ALL different :) Happy to hear that Sony has easy menus.

Personally I think a lot of your decision comes down to a couple of things.

First, how serious are you about photography and how far do you want to go. The average shooter would be fine with almost any system on the current market. Keep in mind, you are not buying a camera you are buying a system. The body is just one part of that system. Once you define that some systems may fall out of the running as they may not meet your needs.

An example would be Sony for me. For the average shooter a Sony would be fine. Me I'm a sports shooter. Sony can't match my gear for shooting sports. And before any of the Sonyites start screaming, show me a Sony 400mm f2.8 prime and we will talk. Not every shooter is going to want or need that kind of lens. But knowing what systems can fill your needs is important.

Secondly, what fells good to you. Go to a good camera store. Get an understanding of the layout of the different cameras. Where are the function buttons, how easy is it for you to operate etc. What feels good in your hands.

I grew up on Nikon F & F2 film cameras with motor drives and a bulk film back on one. All the talk about big heavy bodies and lenses really doesn't mean much when you have lugged that kind of gear around. If you have never experienced old gear like that then size and weight may mean something. But what will mean something is how the layout feels in your hands. If it doesn't feel good in your hands you won't want to use it.

Along with that is which bodies most meet your needs. If I were shooting mostly low light no flash then I would be looking at Canon or Nikon as they handle high ISO the best. If I were shooting a lot of daylight or flash stuff any of the systems would give good results as you can keep you ISO down.
Remember, if you do a little homework you should end up with a system that will last you for years and through several body upgrades. And that is the important part, being happy with what you use. Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

I am picture/photo crazy, I never leave the house without my camera (even to the corner store) I will make OH stop the car so I can take a picture on the side of the road :)

I think that you are right. A big part of this for me is finding the right system. I'm a little hung up right now on the aspect of what is compatible with what. If I go with one brand am I stuck with only their lenses? I am concerned about having a ton of equipment that I can't use if I get too "base" of a camera to start with and then decide that I want to upgrade bodies.

So far I have handled and been happy with all three of the systems I mentioned as far as handling and menus. The size is a bit of an issue mainly because I have smallish hands and I found the body sizes closer to the Pentax 20D were a bit cumbersome for me.

Thanks for the note about the Nikon and Canons handling higher ISO better. My lighting conditions do not tend to be the best so this will be a huge point of consideration for me.
Thanks for helping me to complie a list of some things to consider.

It's very useful

I'll give you the vote for the D80 or greater simply because you can use most all lenses. If you put an old film SLR lens on a D60, you can't focus or meter

~Michael~

Thanks for the note about the seach feature. I was looking around and finding lots of pictures taken by this model and that. Sorry about the extra thread about "help me find a camera"

That note about the D60 is invaluble to me though. It, I think, is going to knock that camera out for me. I think I am down to the D80 or XSi now or maybe a step up on the canon line.... OH's idea

I am concerned about having a ton of equipment that I can't use if I get too "base" of a camera to start with and then decide that I want to upgrade bodies.
I don't really think this would be any sort of an issue whatsoever. For example you can get the most basic canon DSLR and put about any canon lens on it and it will work. Furthermore when you go and buy a newer or upgraded body your older lenses will still work (although if you got some ef-s lenses with the crop sensor they might have serious vignetting). Anyway, what I'm saying is that the strobes you might get, the lenses etc will all continue to work. You don't need to get an expensive body for fear of lenses not working with them in the future.

Same goes with the d40(x) and the d60 except that there in the cheaper body not all of the lenses work, but all of the lenses that work with the d60 will still work with the other pricier bodies (I'm pretty sure).

A significant drawback to the D40(x) and D60 is they only auto focus with AF-S or AF-I lenses as they have a builtin auto focus motor. For example, the very popular AF 50mm f/1.8D won't autofocus on those cameras. It will still meter just fine, but you'll be manually focusing.

Also, if you use any of the older manual focus lenses, they won't meter on those cameras (or the D80).

A significant drawback to the D40(x) and D60 is they only auto focus with AF-S or AF-I lenses as they have a builtin auto focus motor. For example, the very popular AF 50mm f/1.8D won't autofocus on those cameras. It will still meter just fine, but you'll be manually focusing.

Also, if you use any of the older manual focus lenses, they won't meter on those cameras (or the D80).

yeah and manual focusing is known to grow chest hair.... just kidding... i've been manual focusing my kit lens just to see if i can get the hang of it and i love it... so no problem there

WOW... Thank you everyone. I am busy reading through a ton of info everyone has posted. I will probably be back with some more questions in a while. Hope everyone doesn't mind humoring me while I try to figure this all out.

Does someone know of a good resource to learn about lenses. Not exactly sure what I want to know but figure that if I read some I will come up with the right questions for me.

Thanks again,
Sarah

resource for lenses? Well for Canon specifically: www.thedigitalpicture.com

* no such thing as best camera
* best way to make a choice is to hold them in your hands and take a few shots and work the controls. Is it comfortable and make sense to you?
* Most modern DSLRs are more than capable for most photographers.

Given the choices you listed, my "personal" choice would be the Pentax but thats mainly because I have a good amount of K-mount lenses. I am also a Canon shooter but I wasn't too keen on the Rebel (how it felt, build).... I'd probably consider saving more for the 30D. Again.. thats just my feelings....

Also considering that you were happy with the K100D... you really should be biased towards the K200D.

Sarah, I'm following this post too, you asked some great questions. I am torn right now between the Canon D40 @ aprox $1200 or the Sony 350 with 2 lenses for about $1000! I've been using a Sony Cybershot H5 which has been great to begin with, I am learning how to use manual with it but I know its time for me to step up. I shoot all sorts of things and want to start shooting professionally on the side (senior photos, family portraits, nature, etc at first).
I'm used to a Sony. I am used to the menu & everything but rarely see anyone mention or recommend a sony. Any reasons why?

I see nothing wrong with the Sony (previously Minolta-Konica) but Canon and Nikon are the big players in the market thus more popular. Some say that lens selection for Sony is limited.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back