Affordable backup for D300

dustin0479

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Any suggestions on an affordable backup for my D300? I dont know much about the lesser Nikon models.

How about a D5000. $429 (refurbished) at Cameata Camera. Check ken Rockwell's review. It's his #1 pick for a "serious" camera.

what do you need a backup for?

You need a backup for the time your camera fails on an important assignment. Hopefully it never happens and you don't need one, but just in case it does, you're still able to fill your obligation of capturing "the moment" someone is paying you for

How about a D5000. $429 (refurbished) at Cameata Camera. Check ken Rockwell's review. It's his #1 pick for a "serious" camera.

Are you serious? I hope you're just kidding... Lets go over a few key elements of the two bodies in discussion. The D300 is a full-frame camera, the D5000 is not so there is no true comparing the two. The D300 has an internal focus motor, the D5000 does not. A focus motor isn't a necessity but it would be nice to have in my camera, that's for certain! Without going any further into your misguided suggestion, it's a bad idea. Anyone with a D300 really shouldn't even think of having anything below a D90 as a backup. Good luck on finding a backup model though sir! - ( meant for the O.P.)

i was asking him what he needed a backup for, bc that could help in recommending a body...

btw... d300 is not a full frame body...

2-Reasons
1. My wife has a Canon so I am wanting to replace hers with something where we can share lenses.
2. I will eventually be helping a buddy out with some shots at functions, I would like to have a backup in case something happens.

I am not exactly looking for the same quality as my 300. Just something that will work in a pinch and keep the wife happy in the meantime :)

d90. or d7000 when it comes out.
If wana go older, then d200 and/or d80.

What do you think about the D40? Smaller body, lighter and easier for the wife to pack around. How is the image quality?

i was asking him what he needed a backup for, bc that could help in recommending a body...

btw... d300 is not a full frame body...

OK, I misread the info I looked at. The D3 is full frame (FX) not the D300 (DX) but even still, the D300 is a badass camera body! I'd LOVE to be able to even afford it, let alone own one!! Your post made it sound like you didn't understand why you'd want a backup. You should have worded it a little differently and you wouldn't have gotten a reply like mine from anyone...like "what kind of shooting do you need a backup for" ?

What do you think about the D40? Smaller body, lighter and easier for the wife to pack around. How is the image quality?

The Nikon D40 is a great little camera! Maybe I'm biased since I own one, but it has some nice features to it. I hope to make mine my backup when I can afford a better body, even with its low 6MP sensor

just found a killer deal on a D60 body. He wanted $500 but will take $275 because of a cash crunch.

Any quick reviews from anyone??

had a D60 before my D200, great little camera, no complaints from me. keep the ISO below 800, ideally refrain from going above 400 and you wont have to deal with noise lol otherwise, given the right exposure settings and a workable environment (taking into account the limitations of the camera) and its perfect.

remember if you have any AF-D or any lenses requiring a motor...it will be MF only...

btw have you considered selling your wife's camera kit first? then using that money to get something more comparable to your D300? i mean depending on which canon she owns a D60 might be a considerable drop in ISO/noise performance (main thing above all else)

She has a rebel XT so any money i get from that will have a really small impact.
I do have a couple D lenses so it sounds like the D80 my have to be my lowest model.

Last edited:
get a d200! great camera, probably can get one for around 450 or 500. I love mine

Most reactions

Back