What's new

AI-Assisted Photography

lol, it reinforces ignorance because the database it's drawing from is produced from those same ignorant people. A feedback loop, Ignorance begetting ignorance, etc.

All those bazillions of texts and images uploaded to the google/apple/OneDrive/ whoever cloud from all those "smart" phones and web sites trying to sell us stuff are its only source of data.

As us old timers used to say, garbage in garbage out. We are "training" this so-called AI to be dumb and spread dumbness.

An experiment in crowd sourced mediocrity. And most people don't even know what part they are playing in this.

If they/we wanted a decent simulation of intelligence we would restrict the training to human vetted data for accuracy instead of turning it loose to consume junk that is 90% of the internet.
 
If they/we wanted a decent simulation of intelligence we would restrict the training to human vetted data for accuracy instead of turning it loose to consume junk that is 90% of the internet.
But then there'd be nothing left. LOL Ignorance, does not beget intelligence but can still serve as a catalyst for learning. AI that reaches the self aware state can/will be able to recognize its own ignorance and adapt by inquiry, research, and growth in intelligence at a much fast rate than humans given its ability to analyze data at a much faster rate. At that point humans will no longer be needed.
 
The problem with intelligence is we have no idea what it is. There are operational definitions designed to explain what we do know in ways that others can verify. But a cake can be operationally defined by a cake recipe. There is simply no empirical statement expressing the universal nature of intelligence.

We can define A.I. as a computer program that is able to solve a wide variety of problems with breadth and versatility similar to human intelligence (whatever that is). It comes with a chat interface that (presumably) would fool Alan Turing. But artificial does not mean real and intelligence is not a computer program.

Claims of intelligence, and the lack of transparency in how certain A.I. systems process inputs to produce outputs, are excuses to avoid liability. A.I. will not take over the world. Its users will.

All of which leads me to wonder... when A.I. gets to the point where it can create a photographic image based on whatever I can imagine, shouldn't I have sold off my equipment while it still had value?
 
Last edited:
lol, it reinforces ignorance because the database it's drawing from is produced from those same ignorant people. A feedback loop, Ignorance begetting ignorance, etc.

All those bazillions of texts and images uploaded to the google/apple/OneDrive/ whoever cloud from all those "smart" phones and web sites trying to sell us stuff are its only source of data.

As us old timers used to say, garbage in garbage out. We are "training" this so-called AI to be dumb and spread dumbness.

An experiment in crowd sourced mediocrity. And most people don't even know what part they are playing in this.

If they/we wanted a decent simulation of intelligence we would restrict the training to human vetted data for accuracy instead of turning it loose to consume junk that is 90% of the internet.
The problem is that much of the information you hear from family and friends and forum members ;) is erroneous, too. Sort of like the blind leading the blind.
 
But then there'd be nothing left. LOL Ignorance, does not beget intelligence but can still serve as a catalyst for learning. AI that reaches the self aware state can/will be able to recognize its own ignorance and adapt by inquiry, research, and growth in intelligence at a much fast rate than humans given its ability to analyze data at a much faster rate. At that point humans will no longer be needed.
Did you ever hug an iPhone? :icon_hug:
 
I've been working on ways to implement AI in my class productively. The first is my image. I had AI suggest edits for the second, it proposed that I reduce highlights and remove the wires. I asked it to do it for me.

Before
648860308_1232983118980179_5548164835093095697_n.webp


After
2.webp
 
Interesting. Of course, AI can't correct for clipping the whites on the building's walls. They still look clipped and just grayer. Apparently, the picture was overexposed originally in the camera. I;m curious whether AI is the approach for exposure. If you manually use a slide or curves, you'd be able to see the changes slowly as they occur and then stop when you think they're the best improvement. With AI, you just have to accept what they give you, not knowing what the other slider settings could have shown.

The rest of the picture, especially the skies, has been improved. And it did a nice job on the wires. There is one at the top right of the building. But you can eliminate that manually or with another prompt.
 
I've been working on ways to implement AI in my class productively. The first is my image. I had AI suggest edits for the second, it proposed that I reduce highlights and remove the wires. I asked it to do it for me.
Interesting tool, A.I. And its usefulness will improve. But A.I. is just a tool. It's the photographer's R.I. that shapes the image.
 
Interesting tool, A.I. And its usefulness will improve. But A.I. is just a tool. It's the photographer's R.I. that shapes the image.
I saw a headline recently that said (paraphrasing) "Stop teaching kids skills they won't need in ten years." That's all I read, but I can imagine the rest:

Forget grammar, don't teach spelling, no one will need that, AI will write everything for you. Stop teaching math; AI can do it faster and more accurately. Forget Driver's Ed, AI will drive your cars and trucks. Don't teach photography, just tell AI what you want, and it will create your image for you.

Great "tool," but will humans turn into vegetables?
 
I saw a headline recently that said (paraphrasing) "Stop teaching kids skills they won't need in ten years." That's all I read, but I can imagine the rest:

Forget grammar, don't teach spelling, no one will need that, AI will write everything for you. Stop teaching math; AI can do it faster and more accurately. Forget Driver's Ed, AI will drive your cars and trucks. Don't teach photography, just tell AI what you want, and it will create your image for you.

Great "tool," but will humans turn into vegetables?
Sex too?
 
I saw a headline recently that said (paraphrasing) "Stop teaching kids skills they won't need in ten years." That's all I read, but I can imagine the rest:

Forget grammar, don't teach spelling, no one will need that, AI will write everything for you. Stop teaching math; AI can do it faster and more accurately. Forget Driver's Ed, AI will drive your cars and trucks. Don't teach photography, just tell AI what you want, and it will create your image for you.

Great "tool," but will humans turn into vegetables?
With all due respect, you may consider reading the rest of the article instead of just the headline or the first line of it instead of using your imagination to fill in the rest of the article, because THAT is in fact a major contribution to one's ignorance. Human imagination is a wonderful thing, but you could be pleasantly surprised what you might read if you go beyond just the headline or first line of an article.
 
Last edited:
With all due respect, you may consider reading the rest of the article instead of just the headline or the first line of it instead of using your imagination to fill in the rest of the article, because THAT is in fact a major contribution to one's ignorance. Human imagination is a wonderful thing, but you could be pleasantly surprised what you might read if you go beyond just the headline or first line of an article.
The problem is that most headlines today are clickbait to get more ad dollars. They often don't sum up what's said in the article, which is often contradictory. Some of it is for political influence. Even reading the whole article doesn;t assure you;re getting the whole or true points, as the truth is cherry-picked and presented in a biased way. Of course, we can get into defining what is truth. But that's a whole other discussion.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom