Alcoholics Anonymous.......

Bill, I start by saying I am sad at your loss.. In my years I have seen some of the best go down. What I want to say..Some can control it some can't.
At one time my dear friend. and brother inlaw..killed himself by drinking windshield anti freeze. He needed to stop the pain of coming down, from a thee quart
vodka binge..The withdrawl must have been hell. I've lost better guys than me to the stuff. So when I drink, which is every day..it is two shots of burbon.
either you control it or it controls you..Weither its booze, drugs, any any obsession thats out there...old guy just rambling..Ed

Thank you for your kind words Unpopular and Oldhippie. My youngest brother, to my profound shame and regret, followed in my footsteps and left even larger footsteps. We were both bad guys in our younger years. I was saved from myself and he was not. He kicked his heroin habit while in prison, I think, though I do remember him attending a methadone recovery program upon his release from prison. I know he worked very hard to stay clean, but needed something to deaden his pain. He died destitute. I was unable to help him.

There is something very lacking in our deteriorating society and I fear things will get worse as we become more and more permissive.

I think the problem is that we're not a society at all. We're so self-centered that we lack any sense of inter-connectedness, we see someone struggling and we don't realize that it's our problem, also. I'm not necessarily advocating permissiveness or certainly not that people should be given an easy way out, but as a society we don't think about finding effective solutions to problems - we push that task always onto someone else and then ***** when these problems come back to us, as if we're innocent victims.

Imagine what we could accomplish if we saw the strength of maintaining social cohesion.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back