All in one lens?

sarisotta_21

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Whats a good all in one lens that will AF on a Nikon D60?

What are you looking to shoot and how much are you looking to spend? The only problem with all in one lenses are they are not always a great solution. Do you have any other lenses?

yes I have 18-55mm. 35mm. & 70-300mm......just kind of looking for something that would be good for portraits, weddings, wildlife, and so on! As far as pricing something thats $1000 or less.

Whats a good all in one lens ......portraits, weddings, wildlife
"good all in one lens", is an oxymoron. ;)

Would require a different lens for each one, if quality images is your goal.

All in one lenses are jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none lenses.

One of the major reasons to own a DSLR camera is that you can interchange lenses.

If you have the VR version of the 70-300....keep it, it's a great lens for it's cost. If you have the non VR version, sell it because it's a POS.

If you had a camera body that had a focus motor I would suggest you aspire to Nikon's Budget Trinity:

Last edited:
yes I have 18-55mm. 35mm. & 70-300mm......just kind of looking for something that would be good for portraits, weddings, wildlife, and so on! As far as pricing something thats $1000 or less.
:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Okay, you owe me a new keyboard; this one is covered in coffee. Seriously. There is NO such beast. Portraits generally require short telephoto focal lengths and large minimum apertures for shallow DoF; primes are preferred. Weddings require fast zooms because of low light conditions. Wildlife requires long focal lengths and medium to fast maximum apertures due to a combination of low light and higher shutter-speed requirements.

All in one lenses such as the 18-200 are fine for walking around and taking tourist snapshots, but that's it. They're slow, suffer from moderate to extreme distortion at or near maximum aperture and at either end of the FL range. They are fine for casual work, and if you want to take a nice picture of your friend, or a snap at her wedding, they'll do the trick. If you are talking about taking photographs (as opposed to snapshots) in a professional setting, then you need professional gear.

What I would suggest is that you take some time to evaluate what you really want to do photographically and work toward that. There are some semi-all-in-ones such as the 24-105 which are decent, but they're still slow.

Well I'm reading about this tamron 18-200mm & it's saying that it's good for " family events, distant wildlife, sports action, and close-ups of kids. So I suppose there is such thing?

KMH I would Agree with the trinity but I would tweak the lenses a little.
Definitely stick with the fixed aperture lenses of 2.8 not variable like most. Cost more but well worth it!

AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED
AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8G ED
AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II

Well I'm reading about this tamron 18-200mm & it's saying that it's good for " family events, distant wildlife, sports action, and close-ups of kids. So I suppose there is such thing?

And do you believe what they have written? Is it gospel or marketing?

Like others I made the upgrade lens path. Replaced my 18-55 kit with the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 or for weddings would go maybe 28-75 f2.8. Sigma or Tamron are great for this. And my usability for lower light & indoors went up quite a bit. And Image IQ jumped to the next level.

Tamron longer zooms are out for me being the slowest AF of any of the longer zooms Put out by Nikon or Sigma. Except maybe the Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 SP Di VC USD XLD. New USD (Ultra Silent Drive) motor for fast and quiet AF and is only in that lens so far.

For lower light and indoor situations fast primes or f2.8 zooms are the only way to go. Without the need for flash.

For longer zooms went the 55-200vr to 70-300vr to the 80-200 f2.8 AF-D upgrade path.

Like mentioned the all-in-one's are jack of all master at none. And wouldn't use one except when I knew I would always be in good light and outdoors.

I never understood individuals that want convenience at the sacrifice of Speed and Image IQ. For me it would fail in about 40%-50% of my needs for lower light and indoor shots. And I did buy a dslr for it's ability to change lenses.

It up to you and if you decide to go with the all-in-ones may very well fit your needs and criteria. I just know all the situations in my daily life where they would fail regularly. And not appropriate for the shooting situation.

The Nikon 18-200 is Nikon's "all in one" lens. I personally would rather have a 80-200 2.8 or 70-200 2.8 for portraits. Fast glass gives a nice bokeh at longer focal lengths. A very desired effect for portrait photography.

Whats a good all in one lens that will AF on a Nikon D60?

I think you ought to stop by Ken Rockwell's web site and read through a bunch of his Nikon lens reviews, as well as his few third party lens maker reviews.

What you'll get on sites like TPF from people like KmH are put-downs of all-in-one lenses, because people like KmH have high,high standards for lenses. If lenses were restaurants, KmH would NEVER eat a hamburger from Burger King or McDonalds. KmH will fill you in on the places you can get a gourmet hamburger, and a fine craft brewed ale to go with it...not a styrofoam cup full of soda and a gut-buster "boigah".

At Ken Rockwell's site, you'll find lens reviews for people who want to take pictures. He'll help you weed through some of the Super Value Meal burgers.

The Nikon 18-200 is Nikon's "all in one" lens. I personally would rather have a 80-200 2.8 or 70-200 2.8 for portraits. Fast glass gives a nice bokeh at longer focal lengths. A very desired effect for portrait photography.

Well yep that's a given. As had the 80-200 f2.8 AF-D and tamron 1.4x which gave me the fastest and most with 1.4x making for a 280mm f4 when the need arises. And a great indoor and lower light f2.8 for everything else.

Would be my first choices if money isn't an issue. As picked up mine with the 1.4x for $800 used in primo mint condition.

As putting down the all-in-ones. I have just found for me they don't cut the mustard for lower light and indoors which is much of what I shoot. I mentioned they may work great for you and cover your needs. Just trying to give info on where they may fail to fill the needs.

KMH I would Agree with the trinity but I would tweak the lenses a little.
Definitely stick with the fixed aperture lenses of 2.8 not variable like most. Cost more but well worth it!

AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED
AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8G ED
AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II
That's why I called my list the "Budget" trinity. ;)

I love the Nikon 18-200.

I want the 70-200 2.8 for weddings and a second body

What you'll get on sites like TPF from people like KmH are put-downs of all-in-one lenses, because people like KmH have high,high standards for lenses. If lenses were restaurants, KmH would NEVER eat a hamburger from Burger King or McDonalds. KmH will fill you in on the places you can get a gourmet hamburger, and a fine craft brewed ale to go with it...not a styrofoam cup full of soda and a gut-buster "boigah".
Looks like tirediron and some others feel the same way about superzooms

....All in one lenses such as the 18-200 are fine for walking around and taking tourist snapshots, but that's it. They're slow, suffer from moderate to extreme distortion at or near maximum aperture and at either end of the FL range."

I have pointed out many times - lots of people find the convenience of not changing lenses, more valuable than image quality.

It's better that neophytes be aware of both sides of the compromise.

Most reactions

Back