Aloha newbie needs a hand

BrewOnMaui

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Aloha, I will be buying a digital rebel SLR (the cheap one)this week. I am unsure of lense types. I will be shooting landscapes and whales etc from a distance (I live on Maui). As many know it is very bright out here and of course reflection from the water maybe a problem. Any ideas on lenses and apertures? I am new at this so I don't want to go to the store and get taken so your advice is much apreciated.

Also while at the store is there any negotiating like packaging things together? I see things on ebay all the time packaging stuff. Any difference between a sigma and canon lense? Should I get the lense that comes with the camera? I also have a film rebel that I bought in 94. I don't use it much but I may start to I am assuming these same lenses will fit that camera as well?

Canon and Sigma both make good lenses, it will depend on just what lens you want.You will want a tele for those whales shots.A normal lens is good for landscapes.
As for the reflections you might get a circular polarizer, it will take a lot of those out of the picture.

It sounds like you will need a telephoto lens, if you want to shoot whales. If you don't want to spend alot of money, Sigma makes a 70-300 lens that is decent, and only around $150. If you have money to spend, I'd recommend the Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, and possibly the 1.4x TC. You can also get the 70-200/f4 which is much cheaper, but equally as nice.

I'd also recommend a polarizer as Soulreaver mentioned.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back