Photo 2:
Canon 600ex-rt camera left shoot thru umbrella HSS
ISO 100 70mm f/2.8 1/2500

Photo 3:
Canon 600ex-rt slightly above eye models eye level and on axis
ISO 100 75mm f/2.8 1/640

CC greatly appreciated

Last edited:
The biggest issue in these isn't the light, it looks like you missed focus in all of them. Especially the last one. Her eyes are not sharp at all.

Try setting your cameras af system to use only one focal point rather than allowing it to chose from a multitude of points, then place that on your subjects eye.

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

You can try to do some selective sharpening of the eyes since they aren't totally oof. I tried a very quick edit to sharpen the eyes on your 2nd shot. I think it is a bit of an improvement.

abc.jpg
abc.jpg

Do not photograph a person on the train tracks, even if you are from Tennessee. 4 Reasons You Shouldn't Take Portraits on Railroad Tracks

You are getting the hang of OCF.

Joe
Impossible to overstate this!!!

Your lighting isn't bad at all; a couple of thoughts for potential improvement. Move the key light around so that it creates a 'catchlight'; that little glint that you have in #s1 and 3, but not 2, and consider the purchase of a modifier; even just an inexpensive reflecting umbrella to increase the size of your light source. This will provide a softer light, gentler shadow transition and larger catchlights.

Most reactions

Back