Amateur Hobbyist Looking for Suggestions on Lens

Jbrew011

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,
I'm a amateur photographer and have been asked to do the photos for my cousins Quinceanera. I only have two lenses and a DX body so I'm looking to buy another lens for this type of shoot. I've read that the Sigma 18-35mm F/1.8 is really good for the DX bodies but I'm considering a 24-40mm f/2.8 because I might move to a FX eventually. Any suggestions for this would be greatly appreciated. I'll have plenty of room to backup if needed but will be working in low light more than likely. My equipment is listed below.

Nikon D5100
Nikon 50mm f/1.8
Nikon 70-300mm f/3.5-5.6
Nikon 18-55mm Kit Lens

My first question is what is wrong with the lenses you already have listed? While the glass you have is a bit on the slow side, with the exception of the 50mm, do you have an off camera flash that you could use. Fast glass is nice, and on some occasions like wedding and sports photography quite necessary. But for those other times adding additional light in the way of an off camera flash can be quite beneficial.

If you are set on a new lens, what is your price range that you want/need to stay in? This can effect your choice. As for the two lenses you mentioned I will let others give their opinions as I shoot Nikon. This however is a good site to read reviews from various lens owners. FM Reviews -

You could get a 35mm 1.8G and shoot with the 50, 35, and 18-55 at 18mm f3.5. That would give you the range you want. Not sure how fast you need to switch lenses around, but I could shoot for a whole day with a 35mm lens field of view on a crop sensor camera indoors and out.

I shoot with Sony DSLR and SLT. I am interested in the Tokina AT-X PRO SV 28-70mm f2.8 for similar reasons. The lens is discontinued, but is available for around $300.
That said, an inexpensive flash, used off camera in manual, lets me use my Tokina 28-70mm f3.5-4.5 or even the 70-210mm f4 in most cases.

Phil

A carpenter picks up a hammer for a specific purpose to accomplish a specific job, a drill for another, and that carpenter may prefer a particular design or brand over another for any reason. A photographer picks up lenses the same way. What I'm trying to say is if you don't know what lens you need, nobody can tell you, especially when nobody knows why you want a different lens. You don't state a reason. Lenses are personal choices. I think what's more important is you understand how to make good pictures with whatever you have.

What you have already will do you fine I think. You mention room to back up, well your 50mm is a great lens.(assuming it is 50mm1.8G with 5100) I use it all the time and you are on the right track with room to move.
Your kit lens is a fantastic lens for this type of thing. (18-55 is great for gatherings) Your gear can cover a large range and your shots can be miles that of any point and shoot out there if you use the gear right.
I agree with Gryphonslair that a flash is a great addition, and you may find that you cannot believe you were able to live without it when you learn how to use it.
A great easy to use and affordable option is the sb700.
I would keep the 18-55 on the camera and switch to the 50mm when you need the stops. You want to enjoy the party as well.

Hello,
I'm a amateur photographer and have been asked to do the photos for my cousins Quinceanera. I only have two lenses and a DX body so I'm looking to buy another lens for this type of shoot. I've read that the Sigma 18-35mm F/1.8 is really good for the DX bodies but I'm considering a 24-40mm f/2.8 because I might move to a FX eventually. Any suggestions for this would be greatly appreciated. I'll have plenty of room to backup if needed but will be working in low light more than likely. My equipment is listed below.

Nikon D5100
Nikon 50mm f/1.8
Nikon 70-300mm f/3.5-5.6
Nikon 18-55mm Kit Lens

i did a Quinceanera last year and used a 17-55 f/2.8 with a flash bounced. the lighting in the hall was too dim even shooting at f/2.8, as there is a lot of dancing and such. if you're shooting indoors i would use the 18-55 with a bounced flash. even the SB-400 should be fine. i would not trust the sigma in that situation wide open. it would probably be ok, but getting those wide dance shots at f/8 with a bounce flash would probably be better.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back