AmazonBasics Portable Photo Studio

Warhorse

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
This shot needs more light straight on. Near side is under illuminated, IMO.

If you have looked at the link to the light box, what solution comes to mind to provide more straight on light?

A single speedlight in a small softbox (24x24) from above and slghtly to one side or the other (to avoid nasty reflections and hot spots) should take care of it nicely.

Another light from the front would help. if you lack another light, perhaps try a couple mirrors, or white panels [paper, white pizza boxes, spray-painted cardboard sheets,etc] placed close to the front of the box, with the lens shooting trough a hole or slit in the front reflector panel(s). Additionally, you could try some wrinkled aluminum foil glued to front-placed reflectors; anything to get more reflections on the slide and barrel area might spice up the shot(s).

@Warhorse Is the setup everything you thought it would be? Have you bought anything else to enhance it?
It’s about what I thought would work, I just need to work with it more, instead of it being a stand alone solution. May try laying a LED flashlight down aimed on the muzzle end of the slide. This was my first attempt with it.

Okay, I positioned the pistol further back in the box, put camera on manual, used spot metering, lowered camera height. I think it looks better. Your opinions please?

DSC0020 — Postimage.org

Yes, it looks better. It has a more three dimensional appearance.

Okay, I positioned the pistol further back in the box, put camera on manual, used spot metering, lowered camera height. I think it looks better. Your opinions please?

DSC0020 — Postimage.org
Yes, much better, but now there are two "hot spots". Try moving your light more to one side so the reflections aren't so direct.

Thanks guy's!

I am going to give this box a thumbs up, with more practice and use, I think it will work as I intended.

A few years back, when I was actively collecting handguns, I photographed every handgun, and entered it into a database for insurance purposes. My set up was very basic, and I've been complimented on the simplicity and clarity of the photos. Here is the list of materials
  • Fleece blankets from Walgreen's in several different colors
    Nikon D200, 28-85 f/2.8-4 set on Macro
    Nikon D800 Flash w/Diffuser
    Several pillows of variable density

I used a neutral colored ceiling to bounce the diffused flash. I also had a number of patches of the various manufacturers as a prop in many of the photos. Editing was done in early versions of Photoshop Elements.

Follows are a couple of the photographs:

Attachments

• 25YearEvolution357Magnum.jpg
    25YearEvolution357Magnum.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 56
  • Colt Diamondback LFT.jpg
    Colt Diamondback LFT.jpg
    736 KB · Views: 60
Some very good shots of those revolvers Dennis!

Most reactions

Back