An Old Russian Tank - Zenit E

Discussion in 'Film Discussion and Q & A' started by LouisRG, Feb 28, 2018.

1. earthmanbuck

earthmanbuck No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    There are quite a few apps available (for iPhone anyway). I used one called Lux to test whether or not the selenium meter in one old camera of mine was still working, and thankfully the numbers all lined up and the pictures turned out well. I found it easier to use than the selenium meter and kept up with it while using that particular camera.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    HONESTLY--I would buy a newer camera. My first "modern" 35mm SLR was a Zenit-B, rebadged as a Cosmorex SE, around 1977. Wow...what a craaaaaappy camera. The Helios copy "Auto-COSMOGON" was a 58mm f/2 lens...swirly bokeh and all, yet still junk compared to a 1970's era Nikkor 50. Soviet-made junk.

The rewind knob fell off. The back popped open from contact with the leather neckstrap quite often too, ruining film after film. The viewfinder screen is junky. No hot shoe, but a COLD shoe, removable! Speeds, 1/30 to 1/500. Crummy, non-coupled selenium meter. m42 thread mount lenses.

Seriously, you asked: Should you repair the lens or by a new camera?

Buy yourself newer,better, Japan-made camera. Like a Nikon N90s. The Zenit was junky even when brand-new,and was 20 years behind the times when it was poorly made. I speak from experience: a 1953 German-made Contaflex was 10 times the camera the Zenit was!

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. LouisRG

LouisRG TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    So, in theory, an app should do the job ok? Of course, it's not ideal under any circumstances but it should work.

4. LouisRG

LouisRG TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You may indeed be right, but for a first film camera... well, it's got character I think. A kind member of this forum is actually giving me a Cosina CSM. I don't know if, in general, that is any better than the Zenit but I've had so many problems and infuriating issues with the lens especially (Pentacon 1.8/50 being broken), seeing as I spent a good few hours last night trying to fix it, to no end, that anything is better.

I quite like the fact that the Helios has that "swirly" bokeh, it's one of those things that has drawn me to film. They're all m42 mounts, but I quite like the concept. Maybe not so much in practice though.

5. vin88

vin88 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

6. vin88

vin88 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Russian cameras have a VERY bad reputation - since their entry into the market after WW2. I quite like their lenses thou. have several. use them on my leica and range finder Nikon. vin

7. BananaRepublic

BananaRepublic No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I was expecting to see a T34 or some other sort of battle tank

• Funny Funny x 3
  8. john.margetts

john.margetts No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Not round here, they don't. I have several and they only have the problems that any camera that old is likely to have. They certainly do not need the foam light seals replacing like Japanese cameras do as they do not have them!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. LouisRG

LouisRG TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well, welcome to the *photo* forum :laugh2:

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. LouisRG

LouisRG TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    One of the main reasons I'm attracted to this camera was actually the lens, a Helios 44-2 58mm. It's got this really nice, swirly bokeh - however as I didn't check the lens beforehand, I ended up with a Pentacon 1.8/50 which didn't work at all

11. LouisRG

LouisRG TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm yet to decide whether they're inherently "reliable" - haven't got to use mine yet

12. vintagesnaps

vintagesnaps Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit

I knew what you meant, I've always used cameras that are called tanks; they could probably double as some sort of heavy metal nunchuks if necessary!

edit - What I meant to say was that Cosina should be pretty nice. They've been making (in relatively more recent years) cameras including I think the newer Voigtlander Bessa rangefinders. I have one, and read awhile back about their company and they seemed to know cameras.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 1