An Old Russian Tank - Zenit E

Discussion in 'Film Discussion and Q & A' started by LouisRG, Feb 28, 2018.

1. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I don't know. Personally, I like fully working cameras. Light metered cameras are not important to me. Smooth operation, accurate or close to accurate shutter speeds, clean viewfinder, and quiet operation are what I look for. My favorite film camera is my Nikon FM or Nikon F. I would love to get a Leica M2, or M4P with a 35mm summicron but they go for crazy money. If I ever find a deal on one, I wouldn't be opposed to a Voightlander 40mm lens.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. LouisRG

LouisRG TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    That's a whole lot of stuff I don't know about already :) I'll have to come to terms with all these different brands and lenses etc., but I guess it takes time.

For the time being I'll just keep my eye out for a cheap Helios.

3. john.margetts

john.margetts No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    It is an old lens and us oldies can get very slow in our movements. I would try switching from A to M on the lens a good few times. I would do that at the maximum aperture a dozen or so times and then repeat at the minimum aperture.

To check the aperture blades, remove the lens, switch to A, set a mid-range aperture, and press the pin on the mount end of the lens - the aperture should close part way. Repeat this a few dozen times.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. timor

timor Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi. Basically I wouldn't commit much for the sake of this camera. If you got it as a keepsake from Soviet Union you will need Helios 44-2 for it and original ever ready case to make a set.
    Any M42 lens with A/M switch may work on this camera
    Cellphone app may be just what you need. I have no idea how it works, but on the end pictures taken with phone cameras are OK in most cases , so for occasional roll of film should be sufficient. Do you plan to shoot colour or b&w ?

5. LouisRG

LouisRG TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I plan to shoot in Colour to start with as I got a good deal on 12 rolls of Fujicolor 200ISO, but I intend to experiment with it over time. I want to get a wider taste for it. I'm going to go back to the junkshop tomorrow to see if I can swap it for a different camera. He had a Kodak Retinette in there that I'll try and swap it for.

6. LouisRG

LouisRG TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I've given this all a good go - unfortunately, no dice. I'm a bit stuck for what to do at the moment, I think I'm going to go tomorrow to see if I can swap them around.

7. espresso2x

espresso2x No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Louis you should be able to find a 442 or 44m for under 20 quid on ebay if you're patient. Or in a charity shop. It's common to find zenits with jammed mechanisms unfortunately Praktica slrs were better generally IMO but again many are now 30-40 years old. Maybe look out for a working MTL series Praktica body on ebay.

• Like Like x 1
  8. LouisRG

LouisRG TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'll keep an eye out. I'm going back to the shop tomorrow to ask the bloke if I can swap it/get a refund, but if not I'll probably do what you've suggested and keep a keen eye out for a 44-2

• Like Like x 1
  9. vintagesnaps

vintagesnaps Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That's too bad it's not working, hope you can trade it in for the other camera. When you're buying used/secondhand, ask if you can try it out while you're still in the shop, release the shutter, advance it, look thru it and see how it looks, try a few different settings, etc.

Happened to think with you being in the UK, try checking out Film's not Dead. | Film Photography Blog & Shop. | . They sell some on their website, and sell at something/someplace called the Brickyard?? Try their Facebook page.

There's also a place I ran across recently called West Yorkshire Cameras, they sell online too if you're not close to them.

• Like Like x 1
  10. LouisRG

LouisRG TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The irritating thing was that I checked the mechanics of the camera were all working fine, however I didn't notice the aperture. I'm keeping an eye out for a Helios 44-2 or a replacement Pentacon 1.8/50. As I say, I'm a newbie so it's just beginners (un)luck that I forgot to look at it really.

Thank you for all your help :)

11. vintagesnaps

vintagesnaps Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I checked and Film's Not Dead sets up at something called the Backyard Market on Brick Ln. (I knew it was something like that); they sell film and looks like they offer a mailer for B&W films to go to Ilford if you ever want to check it out.

You could also look at Home - The Film Photography Project and their Flickr page where people post questions and have discussions on, of course, film.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. LouisRG

LouisRG TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Thank you very much for all your help, you've got me well on my way now and I've got plenty to get through :)

• Like Like x 1