Any famous/talented/pro photographers that use minimum equipment?

I shot with Ellen von Unwerth for a Guess campaign in Nov. she shot with 7D not gripped and a single lens all day !!! very minimalist . oh yea and the pictures are out in print everywhere now .

Wow! That must have been fun. She did a lifestyle shoot for River Island (clothing outlet) that I really liked, I even kept the catalogue! Having said that I don't like most of her work, it's a bit strange for me.

Henri Cartier-Bresson used a Leica rangefinder and a 50mm lens for well over 90 percent of his photos. For several decades.

Fritz Henle, long known as "Mr. Rollei", used the Rolleiflex twin-lens reflex cameras for the majority of his career.

Both guys got HUGE mileage out of their cameras with their respective normal focal length lenses. And not much else except vision, skill, and persistent dedication.

Both guys got HUGE mileage out of their cameras with their respective normal focal length lenses. And not much else except vision, skill, and persistent dedication.

Garry Winogrand also...

Leica M4 Garry Winogrand

Just imagine how many rolls went through that camera to leave an imprint like that on the back pressure plate and literally wear through the chrome plating with your bare hands.

I shot with Ellen von Unwerth for a Guess campaign in Nov. she shot with 7D not gripped and a single lens all day !!! very minimalist . oh yea and the pictures are out in print everywhere now .
I am going to die of envy right here right now! Ellen von Unwerth is my favourite fashion photographer ever. a 7D is a huge step up from her Contax T3

I think Anton Corbjin famous for his work with bands such as U2 only ever uses one leica me series camera & one lens

I bought an entry level Canon T2i and used the kit lens to shoot a conference last week end, and several group photos. I did have my 1D mkll with me, but didn't use it. Does that count?

Let check the list?

Famous: no
Talented: no
pro: no
handsome:no :lol:

Looks like the answer HAS to be NO.

Did you even take the time to find out anything about me, or did you just assume?

Garry Winogrand also...

Leica M4 Garry Winogrand

Just imagine how many rolls went through that camera to leave an imprint like that on the back pressure plate and literally wear through the chrome plating with your bare hands.

How many undeveloped rolls of film did Winogrand leave behind when he died??? Wasn't it something just north of 2,500 rolls??? Here is a link to that one famous shot of Winogrand's old Leica, which sold at auction for a zillion dollars... 005jzo-13237084.jpg

Leica has always stood the test of time, they had the best glass, and some still believe that they do, it really is no wonder that some of greats that worked in the business used them.

How many undeveloped rolls of film did Winogrand leave behind when he died??? Wasn't it something just north of 2,500 rolls???

I believe so.... I wonder if any of them have been developed.

Here is a link to that one famous shot of Winogrand's old Leica, which sold at auction for a zillion dollars... 005jzo-13237084.jpg

I think the one pictured is different photog's camera.... Jim Marshall's

Garry Winograd almost exclusive to the 50mm focal length

Jim Marshall almost exclusive to the 35mm focal length

Personal choice and style contributed to that..... I wish I could be that dedicated to stick and really learn a single focal length.

AH...yes...my mistake on the early Leica...here is a web page devoted entirely to GARY WINOGRAND's last Leica M4....several pictures, including the famous pressure plate shot!!

http://www.cameraquest.com/LeicaM4G.htm

Last edited:
Andreas Gursky. The record holder of the most expensive photograph ever.

It's been said over and over that the equipment/camera doesn't matter (and this is NOT meant to be a debate about that lol) but I was wondering if there were any professional or famous photographers that actually live by this theory and apply it in their daily works? Any photographers known for using the bare minimum such as a P&S or just something like an entry level w/ kit lens?

Hell, yeah.

I'm famous and I shoot with a Brownie.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back