any hackers aroudn?

JeffieLove

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I need to know how to trace an anonymous text message that came into my phone...

I have googled the phone # and all I could come up with was a bunch of people having the same problem...

I know this is one of those messages from one of those sites that allows you to send a free anonymous message to a person's cell phone... I need to know if there is a way to find out..

I am being harassed... I have tried calling the police and they are telling me they can't do anything... I have called my cell phone company and they are saying they can't do anything other than change my phone #...

the phone # is 1010100004 or 1010100005

The messages say:

FRM: yourowngodly
MSG: (I'm not typing the messages because they are rude, and personal...)

Numbers like that are from the email-to-SMS gateway. They should carry the payload of the sender (an email address) but your phone might not display it.

If your phone company won't do anything, your best recourse is to file a complaint with the FCC.

(I'm not typing the messages because they are rude, and personal...)

It's someone you know. Who have you pissed off recently, lol?

Seriously, it's gotta be a short list.

is there really no way to trace it though? That's my biggest question... I'm being harassed and want something done about it... There has to be a way to trace it...

Your cell company can tell you who is from at least the SMTP server sending to their gateway. They are required to keep records of that data. You may just have to escalate it to someone with a brain willing to help.

Good luck, I wrote computer software for TMobile on a project and one interface for Cingular (now ATT) and at those two places find someone with a brain that cares is extremely hard.

Sorry.

(I'm not typing the messages because they are rude, and personal...)

It's someone you know. Who have you pissed off recently, lol?

Seriously, it's gotta be a short list.

the only person I can think of is my old manager who I have a mutual hate for... I got the first one shortly after I started talking to him about a job (that one said: "Sarah, a simple girl with simple pleasures") and then I got laid off this past Tuesday and they have started again...

But my boss is Indian, and these things don't seem like ANYTHING he would say...

is there really no way to trace it though? That's my biggest question... I'm being harassed and want something done about it... There has to be a way to trace it...

Just change your number...you obviously pissed someone off because you said it's personal, so you probably would know who it is, that way when you change your number, they're outta luck.

We are not your personal army... wait... hm let me see what I can do. The number is a general number that can be used by millions. I found this though.'Messaging Preferences' is now available! - Announcements - Wireless Forums from AT&T

Although dude this did not require a hacker, more like google. Hacking does not mean looking around for information. If this was a REAL number that would be a different story though. =D

Live_Free...

I know there is a way to find out what site was used to send this message (I know it's one of those THOUSANDS of anonymous messaging sites), once you find that out, all that needs to be done is to find what e-mail address was used to send this message (every one of these sites I have seen requires you to put in a valid e-mail address), and voila! you have the jerk responsible for these messages...

So maybe it's not a hackers job... but I know it takes more than googling...

I am not an idiot... I did mention in my first post that I googled this... Google is not my friend... I have also mentioned that several other times... I can never find what I really need...

As of right now, I am not going to be changing my phone # or blocking the messages only because I want to see how long they go on... Yes it is harassment, yes it bothers me... but I WILL get to the bottom of it... I'm not one of those people who can just "let things roll"... ;)

Live_Free...

I know there is a way to find out what site was used to send this message (I know it's one of those THOUSANDS of anonymous messaging sites), once you find that out, all that needs to be done is to find what e-mail address was used to send this message (every one of these sites I have seen requires you to put in a valid e-mail address), and voila! you have the jerk responsible for these messages...

So maybe it's not a hackers job... but I know it takes more than googling...

I am not an idiot... I did mention in my first post that I googled this... Google is not my friend... I have also mentioned that several other times... I can never find what I really need...

As of right now, I am not going to be changing my phone # or blocking the messages only because I want to see how long they go on... Yes it is harassment, yes it bothers me... but I WILL get to the bottom of it... I'm not one of those people who can just "let things roll"... ;)

It is not quite that simple and straightforward. For example, with the proper software, you can strip the ISP and other info. off your outgoing message, bounce it off proxy servers anywhere in the world, or off one that will assign a different ISP address, and then send it on to the receiver. Some of these servers erase all their data every 24 hours, so tracking becomes impossible. The only limitation is the computer knowledge of the person who is doing the harassment and changing your number and blocking/filtering software may be your only defenses.

skieur

My guess is that they were able to access your texts somehow and make it look like you "knew" who they were, then sent it to you so that you would respond. . .Don't know why companies think that this will make you buy their product, its ridiculous. I might be wrong but its worth a shot. . .It says its from springlovecalc.com. . .douchebags. . .

Maybe. .. Don't intaginize things and they'll stop? Usually, if you respond to it they see it as "they win". So I wouldn't give into it. But if it gets to you change your #.
If I remember correctly, ( I know tmobile does) block the harrasing #s.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back