Any Rumblings from Canon?

pbelarge

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am thinking of purchasing a new camera and some other gear.

The last time I purchased a camera, Canon came out with the 7d a few months later.

I am curious if there are rumblings in the field about an upgrade or new camera coming out later this year????

I would not be happy if I purchase a camera and an upgrade comes out months later.

Canon is notoriously tight lipped about their new gear...but they usually keep to a pattern. So look at when the last models were released and it may be a good indicator to when the next one will be out.

Camera makers are always announcing new gear, so the chances of you buying something that is soon upstaged is very good, even likely.

I solved that problem by resolving to not worry about it, and get what is currently available that suits my needs.

Camera makers are always announcing new gear, so the chances of you buying something that is soon upstaged is very good, even likely.

I solved that problem by resolving to not worry about it, and get what is currently available that suits my needs.

Exactly - with camera bodies there is always a new one "just around the corner" with flashy shinynew features and stuff. IF you keep sitting on the fence waiting you'll end up never getting a camera.

Lens wise things are a slower and less certain - however the fact that Canon never give out hints as to what is getting upgraded or when means that you can't wait either. Search on any lens and you will find upgrade rumours that have been circulating for years sometimes'

eg a 24-105mm f2.8 IS L
100-400mm upgrade
50mm f1.4 upgrade

Etc...

Only the very newest of lenses will not have massive rumour mills churning away (like the 100mm macro L and the 70-200mm f2.8 IS L M2) simply because the mills havn't got started yet ;)

I just bought the older 70-200 f/2.8 IS because the new one just came out, and I figured I could get a deal. I was right!

Maybe 60D or 1Ds

There have been rumors floating around but nothing concrete. I saw on CanonRumors that the 1DsIV is gonna have a square sensor, and both will have a new Digic V. But like KmH said, it's best not to worry about it. There are always new things coming out, so buy what works for you when you need it. If you don't need it, you can always wait. But if there's something that works for you at a good price, there's nothing wrong with jumping on it.

100-400mm upgrade

This won't happen until I buy my 400/5.6 -- and then it won't be an upgrade of the 100-400, but rather a new 400 prime with IS or a less expensive 500mm prime (like an f/5.6)

The 40D was announced the week after I bought my 30D

100-400mm upgrade

This won't happen until I buy my 400/5.6 -- and then it won't be an upgrade of the 100-400, but rather a new 400 prime with IS or a less expensive 500mm prime (like an f/5.6)

The 40D was announced the week after I bought my 30D

pfft as if - It'll happen right after I upgrade to the 70-200mm f2.8 IS L M2 :greenpbl:
With the 100-400mm M2 probably beating/equalling it in the 70-200mm range and beating it soundly with the 2*TC in the 140-400mm range ;)

I can't believe how old the 100-400 is. I'm shocked they've not released a better version of that lens. They'd sell the crap out of it for sure.

I would rather see Canon release a nice 200-400 f/4L similar to Nikon's before another variable aperture, push pull 100-400.

I really do NOT anticipate Canon introducing much more this year, except for the 1Ds Mark IV. Canon has a pretty complete lineup right now, and is doing well in multiple segments. Their 7D is doing very well, and has a solid place in its market segment. The 5D Mark II is doing well,and has an enviable reputation and is doing well in the $2,400 segment. The T2i has good video, high MP statistics, and decent price. The 50D still wins its category MP-wise, which is enough to keep it alive despite mediocre sales. The low-end Rebel market is still doing okay. Canon seems to be doing quite well across a broad range of prices. They have a couple of gaps, which Nikon fills quite well, so there's really not much pressing "need" for Canon to try and introduce cameras that would cut in to the sales numbers for their 1-series cameras. For example, Canon has no answer to the Nikon D700,and if they were to try and move into that category, a new entry could seriously cut in to the 1D Mark IV's sales and its high profit margin, so I think Canon will continue with the 5D-II as a "good enough" body with a good sensor and video, at the $2,399 price point. The 7D is so,so new and is selling well,and is a lot higher-spec'd than the 50D, and it's fulfilling a need at a price that keeps it separated from the 1D Mark IV, but allows buyers to buy lenses with the price difference between a 1D Mark IV and a 7D body.

Like Big Mike said, you could look at Canon's past introductions as a sort-of guide to the future; in looking back, I see Canon as just having made introductions that will carry them through another year, or slightly more. I really think the 5D-II is going to be "it" for a while longer...I do not see Canon moving to offer a more-robust body in the mid-priced FF segment...the "real money" is made at the consumer and mid-level body sales points, where huge unit sales really add up,and new customers join the system.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back