Any Rumblings from Canon?

Yes, a 200-400 f/4 would be ideal. The reason I don't have a 100-400 is because of the push/pull. I thought it was clunky and inaccurate... I'm sure it was just me. Hopefully Canon will figure out that people want a farther reach in a wide aperture zoom. Then the world will be a better place.

We have to remember though that the £1000 price point is pretty much the big dividing line for many people - a £2000 100-400mm L or even more expensive 200-400mm would really see slower sales to the more casual markets. Yes the pro and more keen amateurs would eat these up - probably quite quickly. But it would see very few sales from the larger casual market. That might be why canon has held off on a 100-400mm replacement - because they know that new pricing on it would possibly cripple its viability unless they keep it and the original in production and aim for an approach like their 70-200mm line of lenses; which is stable at 4 options (far as I know the 70-200mm f2.8 IS L original is now out of production)

a 200-400mm lens is only a 2x zoom... and at only an f/4 aperture, it does not need to be a HUGE piece of hardware. I should think they could do it and hit the $1600 price point that they seem to like so much.

Also, they did just release a 70-200mm f/2.8 IS L II lens that is WELL above the dividing line for price that you mentioned, so I don't think that hitting a price point is as much of a concern as you think it is.

a 200-400mm lens is only a 2x zoom... and at only an f/4 aperture, it does not need to be a HUGE piece of hardware.

I'm not optics or lens expert but something tells me that that might not be as easy as one would think. The 400mm f/4 IS DO lens is pretty sizable at 1x zoom with "only" an f/4 aperture.

I also don't think going from the 100-400 to a 200-400 lens is going to be a good market move for Canon. Most zooms have increased range which is important to those that do shoot with zooms (that's the whole point). The 28-70 was slightly increased to 24-70 f/2.8 for example. Furthermore, the 100-400L is one of Canon's successful sells which is one reason why it has a long market run. You could potentially loose some of those loyal customers looking for an upgraded 100-400L by changing the way they shoot if replaced by the short 200-400 range. One of the biggest selling points of the 100-400 is the 4x range... lets not forget their competitor is Sigma and a 200-400mm wouldn't compete well (at least on paper). At least at the retail counter it would be a difficult sell to the typical consumer; 200-400mm versus 50-500mm, 120-400mm, from sigma.

I'd personally like to see a 100-400L with improved IS capability (it was one of the first and has been long obsolete), built in extending hood (the current on is a PITA and jams), and improved optics. I'd like to see better flare control. It must not be increased in size nor weight (selling point of current). I know a lot of customers wish it would be redesigned as a twist zoom rather than push pull although that doesn't bother me much. It would be in their best interest to increase the far end to 500mm as this lens' biggest competitor is from Sigma.

Last edited:
I've read rumours on a 60D (closest to being true), 1ds IV and a giant maybe on a 5D Mk III. The reason for the 5D Mk III is if/when Nikon bring out a D700s/D800 or something similar. The new AF system that is in the 7D (and in the 1DIV) is pretty nice, and the video functionality in the 7D is great, so I'm thinking they would want to throw that in a new full frame body to keep their 5D line at the top of the want list. There was a note from Vincent Laforest indicating that the 5D MkIII would be out "next year"

But yeah, they are all rumours. I think the xxD line is the next to be upgraded though. The Rebel line has had many upgrades in the last few years. I bought my XSI in 2008 and since they have released the T1i and the T2i (and the 5DII, 7D, 50D, 1dIV)

In terms of lenses, to throw another one in the mix, I have read about the 24-70 potentially getting an upgrade as the lens is older.

Also read about a 30 1.8, GPS grips, 135 f/1.8 or f/2 IS L, a new 580 EX, a patent for in body stabilization, ... all this mostly from canonrumors.com.

But yeah, expect the 60D soon

I've heard people guessing that the new 5d might have two processors and be able to do ~10 fps... If that happens, the 5dmkIII might turn into one of the best packages on the market. It's already pretty good!

I've heard people guessing that the new 5d might have two processors and be able to do ~10 fps... If that happens, the 5dmkIII might turn into one of the best packages on the market. It's already pretty good!

I would be very interested in the 5d if the added the processors and the AF system.

This is what prompted me to start this thread.

Buy the 5D now or wait to see if Canon decides to change it later this year or in the spring.

Also, a 60D sounds promising.

new 5d ff
or
new 60d small frame
???????

I could go back to a nice P&S :mrgreen:

The 60D will almost surely be this year.
The 5D III will be late this year or early next year. But remember that the price will probably match the new features.

I was in the same boat, wanting to upgrade my body, and then got caught up in the rumour mill and kept putting it off. I decided to finally buy a 7D and just work with this for a bit and not stress out so much about what is around the corner. I'm very happy with my purchase :)

in my mind, you have 2 options:
1. Buy the latest and greatest right now...
2. Wait until something new comes out and either pay a premium to get it, or pick up the previous one from someone who is upgrading.

I prefer to get the older one. I did it with my 50d when the 7d came out, and I did it with my 70-200 when the II came out. I paid $2000 for a setup that should have cost me over $4,000 if I had bought it new... I'm lovin' that.

I think Canon will update 60D and 1Ds first.
The product announcement of 30D (02-06), 40D (08-07) and 50D (08-08) are about 1 year apart. And Canon did not have anything for the 50D replacement for almost 2 years now. (kind of like from 20D (08-04) to 30D)

So I guess Canon may announce the new 60D in Sept at Photokina.

Pierre
(I feel like I am responding to myself, so few people have the name :mrgreen:)

In the past I was a buy first ask questions later kind of guy. These days I have slowed down a tad and ask first. I am sort of spoiled as I can spend a little more on the 'nonessential' items, such as a new camera and my wife supports this new habit 100%.

If I have to wait until later this fall or even next spring...I most likely will. I was headed to B&H next week to possibly purchase the 7D or 5D. I think I will purchase a new lens and just play with the 2 cameras while I am there.
In the mean time I will stick with my T1i and learn to be better at this art.

Pierre
(I feel like I am responding to myself, so few people have the name :mrgreen:)

In the past I was a buy first ask questions later kind of guy. These days I have slowed down a tad and ask first. I am sort of spoiled as I can spend a little more on the 'nonessential' items, such as a new camera and my wife supports this new habit 100%.

If I have to wait until later this fall or even next spring...I most likely will. I was headed to B&H next week to possibly purchase the 7D or 5D. I think I will purchase a new lens and just play with the 2 cameras while I am there.
In the mean time I will stick with my T1i and learn to be better at this art.

hehe, not too many Pierres on here, we gots to stick together lol. Although its a pretty common name where I'm at :)

I hear you. It all depends on what you need and what you have up coming. I wanted to go full frame, but didnt have the budget to replace my beloved Canon 10-22. While the 60D was rumoured to come out, I needed something sooner rather than later to replace my XSI as my shooting schedule had me doing quite a bit of lower light shooting and some sports (concerts, reception hall parties, pro soccer game, pro lacross game). While I could of made due with the XSI, I preferred to buy the 7D now, but this after 2 months of waiting and reading and debating between 50D, 7D, 5D, 5DII.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back