Any tips for shooting fireworks?

Babs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Given that it's Guy Fawkes' Night next week (where us Brits celebrate someone being unable to blow up our parliament in 1605) I thought I might go out and try getting some nice shots of some firework displays.

Any tips on where to start?

I should have a tripod by next week after winning an auction on eBay tonight ( :thumbup: ) - would that help at all? As the displays are small, local ones, there aren't going to be loads and loads of fireworks going off, so when is best to start shooting - as soon as I see the initial trail of the firework? I was thinking of using my 50mm lens as it's good in low light ... is that a good strategy?

In addition I only have one 2gb and one 1gb CF cards so if I shoot in RAW I can only manage a couple of hundred shots, which I'm thinking might not be enough. Given that I can't stretch to a bigger CF card before Friday (I prioritised the tripod), should I shoot in JPEG to increase the number of shots I can take?

Thanks for any advice. I'm not expecting to come home with much but (weather permitting) I thought it could be fun!

Buy a remote switch partner. Shoot in bulb mode. Low ISO. Click and hold shutter open when it goes off. Let go when it's done. That's what I do

Buy a remote switch partner. Shoot in bulb mode. Low ISO. Click and hold shutter open when it goes off. Let go when it's done. That's what I do

Ooh - thanks :) Sounds like as good a starting point as any :mrgreen:

I should have a tripod by next week after winning an auction on eBay tonight ( :thumbup: ) - would that help at all?
Yes! A tripod is the second most important thing you need (after a camera).
... is that a good strategy?
Here's what I like to do:

Tripod (of course), set shutter speed to bulb, f/8 or close to that, ISO 100.

Using a remote in bulb mode, open the shutter as the firework goes up, close it when the explosion is done. You can leave it open for multiple explosions if you want. Ambient exposure will be controlled by your aperture.

Stop down more if you want less, open up more if you want more.

It helps to find a good foreground for the fireworks. Ideally, you'd want to set that up before it gets dark.

If you can use an LCD preview of shots taken, that will help a lot to fine tune exposure/composition.

Assuming that it works on your camera, I see no reason that it wouldn't work perfectly.

Thanks for your help.

I may (or may not) be back next week to show what I got! ;)

Just to update this thread. I headed out last night with my tripod and shutter release to see how I got on. I think it's fair to say I'm not going to win "fireworks photographer of the year" :D but I think for a first attempt I did not too badly.

The main thing I learned over and above what you all said last week, was that you need to stand FAR AWAY from the fireworks! I stood where I thought was pretty far back but without knowing where they were being set off from it was a bit hard to judge. As it turned out I was a bit too close. But as a learning experience it was good.

Here are a couple of the best. Rest are on flickr for anyone who wants a nosey!

Thanks everyone for your help. Maybe next year I'll do better!

WOW they're so busy, so many fireworks! Where was you? It was almost dead in Dagenham. That's Beautiful!

Thanks. I'm in Ashford in Kent and the fireworks were in the next village over (Great Chart). It was the local cricket club display and I have to say it was fantastic. 30 minutes of non-stop fireworks upon fireworks. It would have been impossible to get a shot of a single firework going off! Hence why the shots are so busy.

A lot of the shots were blown because of it, but I'm pleased I got some with some colour in them!

So Kent is where i should have been! But i was too busy watching x factor and moaning that the new estate they've built infront of my house was blocking out loads of fireworks lol.

The shots are great, i never would have thought you've only been at it for a month!

wow good job for it being your first time. i like the 1st one great composition.

Thanks both :) I really appreciate the nice comments.

Excellent fireworks shots, I tried taking some as well on the weekend, I should have read this thread and purchased a remote switch beforehand, In the end I just put the camera on timer, which meant I lost the ability to pick the best times to take the photos. Next time I'll be more prepared! Anyway, here's my shot:
fireworks-small.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back