Anybody know anything about shooting water polo?

fjrabon

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Shooting water polo this saturday and I know next to nothing about the game, or especially any special tips on how to shoot it, what shots to look for, etc. Anybody have any advice?

shooting with a 7D and a 70-200 f/2.8 IS II L, if that makes any difference.

Like shooting most action sports, you need to have the camera at or below the participants eye level.

Pool chemicals, like muriatic acid and chlorine, are not good for camera gear.

You might visit Flickr and search for water polo groups, you can visit Youtube to watch water polo, and you can google for water polo strategy and rules.

Are you shooting it just for fun or more? I ask as if its just for fun I would suggest just watching the first few games - get a feel for how the game runs and what happens when. If you can't do that on the day see if there is a practice session you can attend before the game. The more you know about the flow of the game the more you can predict action and important events as well as letting you better position yourself to get good shots. It will take time to get that experience and you won't pick it up in one or two games (heck many sports photographers say that the best way to know the sport is to have played it).

After that I would suggest a water proof cover, an OP tech rainsleeve is the cheapest at $5 for 2 and more than enough to keep light water splashes off the camera and lens body). You shouldn't be poolside during the game, though if you've got a front seat you'll be close enough to get a splash or two.

(if you are pool side for whatever reason make sure you take it slow - nothing worse than running, slipping and then - splash! Because nothing short or an underwater housing is going to save your camera at that point.

Treat it like basketball. Pick and end of the pool, get to one side or the other of the goal area, closer to the corner and shoot the action coming at you. Get as low as you can and as far back as you can and just stay put.

Most reactions

Back