Anyone have any experience with Pelican hard camera and

jim44

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
lens cases? They're expensive but seem to do the job at least in their advertisements. They come in different modes but the foam interior is what I'm looking at.

I've seen the cases first hand and they are pretty good. The foam is pretty good as well. It is scored so that you can pick out cubes to customize the fit.

The company I work for, has a foam division and they make custom case inserts for Pelican and other cases. It's better than the do-it-yourself foam cubes but way, way more expensive.

I have a Pelican hardcase and love it for travelling. They're not terribly heavy, but offer good protection, and they're waterproof. I was convinced to get one when a friend related a story how his closed pelican case got washed overboard from a zodiac and they found it several hours later, downriver, intact, and with the cameras dry and fully operational. I only use it when travelling, or near water, as it's not particularly convenient to carry 'as is'.

My school uses Pelican and Calmut castes for the small format and 4x5 kits. The pelican's are pretty good but i'd rather use my backpack.

I dont have any experiance with them as far as photography goes but I have been using them at the fire dept for the last 5 years with great results.They are nearly indestructible even for firemen!! they get dropped , kicked and thrown around and the little drug vials never get broken.I think the sales rep says they are supposed to keep the contents safe up to 55 mph fall crash.If I ever need anything stronger for travel I would deffinantly sink the money into a pelican case.

Seen them used to store a d200 and 80-200 f/2.8 for two weeks straight rafting the grand canyon. Held up perfectly. Keep in mind that the guy who owns these is a guide and makes about six two-week trips per year in the Grand Canyon and spends additional time elsewhere. The cases hold up great.

I've got a couple and swear by them. They are indestructable!

The instructions for pulling foam could be better. Take your time and make sure of your layout for the entire case before starting. Leave a divider a minimum of two squares wide for every compartment . . . that will make sense when you start looking at the fresh foam.

There are three remaining camera shops in Kansas City . . . and as you might guess, on a high margin item like Pelican prices vary widely. But the most expensive offering in KC plus sales tax still beats eBay plus shipping in my experience. . . . for the eBay stores offering new Pelican gear. My second case was used from an individual on eBay and had foam pulled but in a pattern I could use. (Much easier to judge on your second case than your first <grin>) But I scored that one for about 1/3 retail. Bargains are there if you are patient.

Just ordered the Pelican 1510 after getting a lot of advice on the same subject a few weeks ago on this forum. Got it on ebay for under $100, it's only slightly used.

A good friend has a pelican case for a smaller camera. He kayaks when on vacation. Says he tipped his kayak, couldn't find the camera case for a while and assumed it sank in the water. Eventually it floated up to the surface, with a completely dry camera inside. Seems worth the money to me.

Seen them used to store a d200 and 80-200 f/2.8 for two weeks straight rafting the grand canyon. Held up perfectly. Keep in mind that the guy who owns these is a guide and makes about six two-week trips per year in the Grand Canyon and spends additional time elsewhere. The cases hold up great.

Mine hauls around a Panny DVX100B, extra batteries, D100 body, 80-200 f2.8, 70-300 f4.5, 28-80 f3.5, 2 boxes of miniDV tapes, trigger cable, tripod mounting plate, and who knows what else. Great cases.

I don't own one, but have carried them for friends while white water kayaking in some class V rivers, which are pretty rough and rocky, without any troubles. I wouldn't hesitate to use one again if I needed for my own gear .

We use them for medical boxes and they are firefighter proof. I've never seen one break and they take a beating every day.. Can't go wrong with one.

I know that some of the clients that we make case inserts for...use these cases for equipment worth over $100,000.

There are also other companies who make similar type cases. Pelican is one of, if not the, top names...so you can't go wrong with one of them.

IIRC.. Pelican made it to the top because they own many of the government contracts to provide cases for the military and police enforcement.

I have one of htose nameless brand ripoffs with the fresh do-it-yourself foam cutout blocks and it rosk just fine. I don't know about waterproof and all that but it is aluminum and has kept all my gear (see sig) in tact well. (the crappy shoulder strap sucks and has broken twice but the cameras took the sudden drops to the ground just fine)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back