Apparently D800's Aren't Waterproof...

Sorry about your gear. It's a great shot but not worth risking life and limb (or gear) over - no shot is.

Please post back about your insurance experience. I've found that most insurers suck when it comes to paying up (not gear specific, just in general) and I'm curious how you make out.

Will do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couple years ago I went to a water fall that had steep dirt & root inclines on either side. It started raining.
It was not fun. It wasn't fun before it was slippery either.
From that point forward I decided to get and learn how to use repelling gear. The safest solution. It's no guarantee but it helps in all situations. It may seem like over kill once in a while but at least if you slip you won't fall. For under $400 you can get some good basic equipment (and not the cheap stuff either). I also use it for when I go exploring/camping, just in case.

Couple years ago I went to a water fall that had steep dirt & root inclines on either side. It started raining.
From that point forward I decided to get and learn how to use repelling gear. The safest solution. It's no guarantee but it helps in all situations. It may seem like over kill once in a while but at least if you slip you won't fall. For under $400 you can get some good basic equipment (and not the cheap stuff either). I also use it for when I go exploring/camping, just in case.

It's funny you say that: there's been a few places where I've seriously considered investing in exactly that (this place being one of the main reasons). Tying off to a tree and repelling down would likely be so much safer than scrambling from tree to tree. Maybe I'll need to do some research and look more seriously into that.

Jake

" any advice?"
Yes, you should have listened to your mother :)

Sorry to hear about the gear, but wow, what a photo.

Well, my dad was the one who was on me to get insurance.

My mothers the one who went here once with me, stayed in the car, and then told me I should never go there alone. Haha. So... yeah... Shoulda listened to her.

And thanks! It's been a well received image so far... so I guess that's good.

Jake

The best learned lessons are often the most expensive.

The best learned lessons are often the most expensive.

Yeah, sad but true. Guess we'll see how it all goes! Might spend my yearly gear budget here fixing this mess rather than buying shiny new things... but that's ok. Haha.

Jake

Sorry to hear about the camera, but great shot. I suggest taking climbing classes and not just rappelling as you are going to have to climb back out of some of the spots you might rappel into. And your mom is right, you don't go climbing without your buddy just like you don't go scuba diving without your buddy. Good thing is the camera can always be replaced.

It's funny you say that: there's been a few places where I've seriously considered investing in exactly that (this place being one of the main reasons). Tying off to a tree and repelling down would likely be so much safer than scrambling from tree to tree. Maybe I'll need to do some research and look more seriously into that.

Jake

What's interesting of the few steep places I've been since, other ppl have asked to use the rope to get up/down. Just having a rope, much less any other safety gear with the rope, makes it much more safe and easier.

Love the picture, not so happy about lose of good camera. Good luck with insurance.

Well that's one photo you'll never forget, if that's not one to print and hang I don't know what is. Of course, sorry to hear about the gear. It's my biggest fear to have any of my stuff destroyed. Great image though, and photos with stories are the best ones.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back