Are these worth buying?

Just make sure you both get the same brand so you can swap lenses.

+1

Lenses will wind up costing far more than the camera if you go very far with photography. If you can share with your sister then you can cover a lot more territory in lenses. ~IF you can share.. ;)

Canon makes a nice camera, Nikon does too. I shoot Nikon because 1: They feel good in my hand and 2: Nikon doesn't really make any "bad" lenses. My $300 (MSRP) kit lens is for most purposes as good as my $1200 (MSRP) short tele, just not as fast.

Pentax also makes a good camera, have you looked at any of those?

If you get the body and lens do you need to get a adapter?

What kind of adapter?

Generally, no, a camera and lens and memory card are all you need.

The battery comes with an adapter, or should.

Where are you looking on line? Some places on the internet will take your money but won't really give you what you thought you were getting and sometimes won't give you anything at all.

Dao Well actually we are searching them on the internet, we haven't looked at them at the store yet. I looked at the reviews for the canon on amazon, and they were good but Im just really worried that the kit lens doesn't work good. So I think I am going to get a body only and then get a lens for it. Do you know a good canon camera body, that is around the price range of 600$ and lower. Also is there any Canon lens you recommend for people photography?

If you have a chance, I recommend you go to a store and play with them. Not just play with the Canon, try out other cameras as well. (I use Canon, BTW) Once you check them all out, narrow it down to few of them you like and compare them. Most of the entry level DSLR cameras are quite good.

As far as the kit lens goes, the one that shipped with the Canon Rebel XSi is not bad at all. Much better than the one it replaced.

Lens reviews:
Photozone -
Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS - Review / Test Report

Slrgears
Canon Lens: Zooms - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS (Tested) - SLRgear.com!

Although the kit lens is not bad, but it has limitations. The lens itself is very plastic feel and build quality is nowhere near those high end Pro grade lens. It works, and do the job.
Another draw back is it is not a fast lens. Not a fast lens means the max aperture of the lens is not that wide. f/3.5 at 18mm and f/5.6 at 55mm. (the lower the number, the wider the aperture so f/3.5 is wider than f/5.6)

In general, when you take photos with plenty of light (i.e. day time, or w/flash), it is not going to be a problem. However, when light is not sufficient, and the aperture of the lens cannot be opened wider to allow more light to enter the camera, the camera may need a longer shutter speed to obtain a properly exposed image and that may cause a blurry image due to camera shake.

Of course, Image Stabilization (IS) helps in some cases (i.e. taking a photo of a stationary subject indoor)

And that is one of the main reason why a lot of people choose a different lens other than the kit lens.

If you are tight in budget and new to photography, starting off and learning with a kit lens is not a bad idea. Once you know more about photography and camera gears, you can buy different lens(es) later. i.e. If you like to take close-up photos of bugs, choose a macro lens. If you like to take breathtaking type mountain scene, get a ultra wide angle lens. Interested in bird photography or fast action sports? Go rob a bank first since those lenses cost a lot of money. (just joking).

Ok when my mom takes me and my sister shopping we can test out the cameras In a store. Can you remove the kit lens? cause if you can I will buy it with the kit lens instead of buying a new lens.

Yes you can remove the kit lens. I would recommend starting with it and maybe buy a second lens in a while.

Ok I will get the kit lens with the camera. I thought it would be a good idea for me and my sister to get the same camera's, so we could share the lens but she still wants the nikon d5000 and I really want the canon. Is the Nikon good because I have heard that it will suddenly shut down. We read the reviews and some of them said that it was an awsome camera but then some said it broke after a few weeks of owning it.

Thanks for the replies everyone ;)

Have fun with your new camera! (or are you getting it with Christmas??)

We are getting them for christmas, but Im really excited! I wish I could have it for my aunts wedding. ;)

Hi Rissa,

Since you and your sister are only 14, I would suggest that you try to come to an agreement on a camera body (Nikon or Canon). This, I believe, would make it easier for you to share lenses later and keep the expense down.

I've been a Canon fan for a very long time but I am now looking at the Nikon. In fact, we are both looking at cameras in the same price range. I really like the way the Nikon feels in my hands better than the Nikon.

As others have suggested, don't decide until you have a chance to look at and play with both in the stores.

Hi Rissa,

Since you and your sister are only 14, I would suggest that you try to come to an agreement on a camera body (Nikon or Canon). This, I believe, would make it easier for you to share lenses later and keep the expense down.

I've been a Canon fan for a very long time but I am now looking at the Nikon. In fact, we are both looking at cameras in the same price range. I really like the way the Nikon feels in my hands better than the Nikon.

As others have suggested, don't decide until you have a chance to look at and play with both in the stores.

I looked at the Nikon but the only one I would ever want to get would be the NikonD5000, and thats the one my sister wants. I dont want to get the exact same camera as her, but I wouldn't mind the same brand. I really like the Canon, but it would be a really good deal to get the same brand. Are there any other Nikon cameras just as good as the NikonD5000, but it has to be the around the same price? Or should we both get Canons, but she doesn't like the way they look? Are Canons better or are Nikons better? We will also look at them at the store.

buy used! I got a nikon d200, a huge step up from the d5000, for 600 dollars, and that was WITH an 18-135mm lens. The d5000 with kit lens was about a hundred bucks more. Granted, its a more professional-feeling camera, and is not as easy to use as a d5000. But buying used is not a bad thing. However, make sure you can play with the camera a little before you actually make the purchase. AFter 20 mins of playing with mine, i knew it was a done deal.

Most reactions

Back