Arguments in the Challenges - COVID Stress?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude... I live in CHINA.
I understand the relevance you're associating in reference to the word censorship, but I'm failing to see it's relevance to the point you're making in this conversation.

So, you don't think I understand about censorship? Really? You say you don't like censorship. I will guarantee you that I am an expert in this area and don't like it either. Relevant to your comment.
To answer your question, no that's not what I think and that's absolutely not what I said. You also omitted and ignored a very important detail that I did say, as I did not simply state that I have a distaste for censorship, I also finished that sentence with "over the sake of cushioning one's needless sensitivity to someone simply disagreeing with them, because it's just that: someone disagrees." I was trying to understand how living in a country with so much needless censorship is relevant to why you believe the horrible red X of disagreement is so awful when the context of the discussion is whether it should be removed from the site because a few people take offense to it, as I believe doing so is also needless censorship, simply because some people choose to interpret in a way that causes them to completely blow it out of proportion because they can't handle a simple "disagree". That's all.

Last edited:
Dude... I live in CHINA.
I understand the relevance you're associating in reference to the word censorship, but I'm failing to see it's relevance to the point you're making in this conversation.

So, you don't think I understand about censorship? Really? You say you don't like censorship. I will guarantee you that I am an expert in this area and don't like it either. Relevant to your comment.
To answer your question, no that's not what I think and that's absolutely not what I said. You also omitted and ignored a very important detail that I did say, as I did not simply state that I have a distaste for censorship, I also finished that sentence with "over the sake of cushioning one's needless sensitivity to someone simply disagreeing with them, because it's just that: someone disagrees." I was trying to understand how living in a country with so much needless censorship is relevant to why you believe the horrible red X of disagreement is so awful when the context of the discussion is whether it should be removed from the site because a few people take offense to it, as I believe doing so is also needless censorship, simply because some people choose to interpret in a way that causes them to completely blow it out of proportion because they can't handle a simple "disagree". That's all.

I am sure, Mr. Ostergren that there are issues within your life that upset you and I would consider being "blown out of proportion". It is what it is, I suppose. Am happy we had this discussion though and I still love your work. ;-) Be well, gotta go teach journalism students about censorship (hahaha! I promise.).

Does this include when someone is crossing the road on a green light and someone doesn't yield making a right hand turn and nearly hits someone on a bike??? Asking for a friend... :)

Seriously? You graduated from Bama and you question how to handle that scenario? :allteeth:

What does Bama have to do with that??? Hahaha! Anything to dig in, right? :) . You have to understand the mindset of the drivers here in China. There are only 10% of the population here that has a car, so they consider themselves "elite" and because of that they feel they have "priority" over everyone else on the road. In the last month, I have had about 6 close calls with cars speeding or not giving right-of-way as they should. The big issue with this is that there is no traffic enforcement in the cities, so people just run wild. Kinda like the cows in the Auburn city limits. :)

Dude... I live in CHINA.

I am sure, Mr. Ostergren that there are issues within your life that upset you and I would consider being "blown out of proportion". It is what it is, I suppose. Am happy we had this discussion though and I still love your work. ;-) Be well, gotta go teach journalism students about censorship (hahaha! I promise.).
OK Mr. Dawg1, have fun with that. Thanks.

people just run wild. Kinda like the cows in the Auburn city limits.

Watch it now, there might be some lurkers that would get offended by that and hit you with the RED X. :allteeth: With season openers this weekend, smack talk is firing up here. You know why Bear Bryant kept calling Auburn that "Cow College?".........................."Because all the bull is in Tuscaloosa".

BAMA plays MIZZOU Saturday, should be interesting, I'll either be hiding or bragging after. :apathy:

I take it none of y'all are America's Got Talent fans [emoji1787][emoji777][emoji777][emoji777][emoji777]

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

If it's anything like it is here in the UK it's a sham, fraud and extremely contrived.

Yo Pixeldawg1 at least in Bama you get an education.

Here in between the student protests against censorship while shutting down a speaker you don't like, you get ripped off with a trip to Scottland and bad BB players!!!

:)

Sometimes two individuals just rub each other the wrong way, and are compelled to push each other's buttons-including the red X. That's okay.
I think it would be fun to have an over the top critique section similar to the old SNL "point/counterpoint". I want to be, like, " @Derrel you ignorant slut! More contrast!"

I commented in this thread to support @gk fotografie because I believe he is good for the forum. Maybe not always so much for the exchange of pleasantries, but for being a prolific participant. Nearly unmatched. Not only for sharing his own unique work like most of us, but for encouraging others through his challenges, top 3 threads, always making nominations, etc. Spending time to aid others is pretty darn friendly.

To comment quickly on the OP: I will be the first to admit to many outside influences that can affect both the extent of my participation and my demeanor at TPF. I've had some heavy, heavy things going on in my personal life and surely I'm not alone. Add Covid and everything else...sometimes it isn't easy to be human. Sometimes it's easy to be snarky. I'll try to give people a break when needed and hope for the same consideration.

@zulu42 love love love the SNL idea. Maybe post something in the just for fun section. I’d be happy to contribute to that thread.

gk is a valued member of the forum. His passionate posts!!!!! are always interesting to read and I look forward to seeing his photos in the challenges.

There are different “rules” for the various challenges and POTM contests and they are spelled out in the lead posts but it’s easy to miss them in one’s enthusiasm to participate. I find a gentle reminder to be sufficient but everyone has their own style. The internet is not an easy place for the easily offended.

Screenshot_20200918-101458.png

And even though asked to provide some kind of written rebuttal, not one single character has been posted since--not a period ,not a letter, not a word,not a sentence, not a paragraph.

In my opinion this is a great example of passive aggressive behavior.

View attachment 197887

And even though asked to provide some kind of written rebuttal, not one single character has been posted since--not a period ,not a letter, not a word,not a sentence, not a paragraph.

In my opinion this is a great example of passive aggressive behavior.
With all due respect, and there is much respect here from me to you Derrel, but I personally think anything beyond the fact that it's just a red X that say's someone disagrees, is simply personal interpretation. I think that if someone is having a hard time with receiving a "disagree" vote, it may be a sign that this person might want to work on how they take that "disagree", rather than faulting other's for one's own personal interpretation of it. I've received plenty of those red X's during my time here, some more petty than others (some from you, in the exact fashion that is causing so much upset here), but it's just not something worth expending enough energy to be upset about it, or to consider removing from the site because some of the members interpret it way too personally.

As well, if we're to assume that this issue is being brought up due to the disagree function being used in this contest thread that you posted a screenshot of your notifications from (Black & White Challenge: candid photography), I think it could easily be assumed that the creator of the contest was only using the disagree function in order to both express their opinion and also not spam their own contest thread with an argument, and that seems more than reasonable to me. Making an entirely new post in the thread in order to bring light to the fact that someone doesn't like being disagreed with is the more concerning aspect of this, or another post where someone took it way too personally that their image didn't meet the requirements of the contest creator so they decided to make it known that they wouldn't be participating, rather than saying "Ok cool, let me try something that fits with the contest organizer's requirements". Instead this person was snarky about it, and then came here to complain about how they think the red X is snarky.

Last edited:
I think if you go back and look at the actual timeline of events, I asked him for some defense of his definition and within 3 minutes and without a single word he fired off three straight X's.

with respect I don't think you have paid enough attention to the actual evidence nor consider the implication of his actions. I asked for a simple defense of his definition. there has been absolutely nothing contributed on his part to defend his extreme position and his ludicrous definition which flies in the face of modern terminology. If what he wants is very hidden camera photography then come right out and say it, and do not hide it under his warpe definition of candidm

I think if you go back and look at the actual timeline of events, I asked him for some defense of his definition and within 3 minutes and without a single word he fired off three straight X's.

with respect I don't think you have paid enough attention to the actual evidence nor consider the implication of his actions. I asked for a simple defense of his definition. there has been absolutely nothing contributed on his part to defend his extreme position and his ludicrous definition which flies in the face of modern terminology. If what he wants is very hidden camera photography then come right out and say it, and do not hide it under his warpe definition of candidm
I don't believe you're entitled to this person's argument, no matter how badly you might want to argue about it in their contest thread, nor if you request from them that they argue with you about it in their own contest thread. Not responding to someone and instead simply "disagreeing" is just that, not responding and disagreeing, regardless if you believe their definitions are extreme or ludicrous. I'd have to say that the only extreme aspect of this that I have seen are the people who are blowing a red X completely out or proportion. That is extreme, and that is ludicrous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back