Aspiring Photographer needs help!

DissolvedOne

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
To all the experts out there:

I am new to photography. I enjoy taking pictures with digital cameras, but I feel a lack of control. I will be taking classes in the fall and I'd like to get a nice SLR beforehand to tinker before I am into a class.

A few recomendations would be great. Many people have refered me to different brands, but as it is now, I have no clue what the differences could be. I have read many reviews of Nikon, Pentax, Cannon, etc., and still have no starting point.

I want to reserve about $300-$400 for body, a lens or two, case, tripod and one of those cables you use to take pictures without jilting the camera body (the name of those escapes me at present).

I currently own no camera and have no bias towards any company. Have fun to those who post here, no flame wars or insults. I really want great factual information and any that is offered will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance to any that take time to respond.

Note: Non-Digital SLR recomendations please.

Oh, I also want to get a flash within that price range as well.

I will be developing my film at a local photo-studio or Ritz Camera (they do a pretty good job) or at school, so developing equipment, paper, chemicals, etc. will come later.

Hey, I am about in the same situation as you right now, I have no experience and i am starting photography classes soon.

I started by buying a Nikon N80 for about $200USD on ebay, everything looks fine. btw a lot of ppl have recomanded this kind of camara for starters like you and me. google it for reviews and tests.

As you may have read in my topic, I am to a point where i am looking for a good lens.

Good luck, and keep us updated on your decisions. It will probably very useful.

cheers mate

Id suggest getting an older manual slr off of ebay (i'm sure there willl be plenty of people to follow me w/ models soon) you can get one very cheaply off of ebay. As far as which one in particular, in reality it probably doesn't really matter all that much. BUt keep an eye on where you may want to go with your equipment in the future. If you think you'll want to buy a buncha lenses for this camera then go to a digital slr later. Look at which DSLR you may want and see if you can get a camera where it lenses will work w/ the camera (or the DSLR lense will work with the manual camera is a better way to put it probably)

haha try Zenith12 xp :) that is a veeeerrrryyyy old russian cam, so solid and heavy :) but you'll surely learn basics with it :) it's so hard to "navigate" heheh - sometimes it opens rapidly letting sun light into the body and crashing your film... sometimes it forgots to roll the film (although you have to do it manually - it has difficulities :p), there's no auto mode so you do everything by your own :) this was my first camera and I do not regret using it... but to be serious - I've no idea what to recommend right now ... I use my zenith still :)

Thanks to those that have replied already.

I was told that Pentax was a great place to start. someone even recomended a k-1000 to start off with, but it seemed a little to dated for me.

I'm looking for something a little newer, but not overly pricey.

Let's keep this rolling, any recomendations of lenses, cases, accessories, film, etc., would also be greatl appreciated.

A couple of manual type cameras to look at:

Canon A1 or AE1
Minolta X-700
Pentax K-1000
Nikon FM or FE

Should get you an nice set-up for $200-$300

I am currently drooling over the Canons. ^_^;;

What are the major differences between the A1 and the AE1?

Can anyone help me decide if the "CPU" is actually going to make much of a difference and explain what it's purpose is?

F.Y.I - the update version of the K-1000 is the ZX-M (its pretty much just an updated manual camera

I am more looking for something along the lines of Novie - Advanced. I want something that will be easy to leanr on AND have the ability for more advanced/complicated funtions.

I don't want to buy a beginer camera that will be useless once I learn the basics.

Personally, I would stay with either a Nikon or a Cannon. In that way, if you happen to get some good lenses along the way, you can stay within a system and update to a dSLR body without having to get all new lenses. I used to shoot a Nikon film. I started with a body and a 50mm/1.2f and over time built up a nice set of lenses. Recently, I got a Nikon dSLR and the great thing is I can still use all my lenses for the digital.

Be selective about lenses since you can use them for a long time. I would personally buy the best I can afford. Start with a 50mm prime (you can get a really good one for less than $100). Then, as you save more money, add more lenses, but go for quality. Forget those cheap zoom lenses (unless it comes with the camera for free). I have a bunch of them, but I would say 70-80% of my pictures are still taken with my trusty 50mm.

Thanks for the insight K, I was seriously considering that Canon A1, but I don't know if I should shoot for the AE1.

Can anyone offer me an explanation to the differences?

Also, to anyone reading this thread, let's try and keep it alive!

This could become a great resource for aspiring photographers and newbie buyers!

::coughcoughadminsstickymepleasecoughcough::

DissolvedOne said:
I am currently drooling over the Canons. ^_^;;

What are the major differences between the A1 and the AE1?

Can anyone help me decide if the "CPU" is actually going to make much of a difference and explain what it's purpose is?

Well, right now I have two A1 selling at ebay!! :mrgreen:
As for the differences, the A1 just gives you more options. If you're going to learn, I would spend a little bit more (just a little bit, really) and go for the A1.
The time will come when you want to start experiencing with some things that the AE1 won't let you. The AE1 is also really good, though, and I'm sure it would satisfy you as well, but my recommendation is the A1. It is a great camera. For me it has been really hard to sell it, since this is one of the cameras I most like. Very solid construction and a lot of features, with full manual control or full automatic, apart from every possibility in between.
And it's also a beautiful camera!

Well, maybe this is just my sad goodbye to a beloved equipment :cry:

Go that way. You won't regret it. You can get EXCELLENT equipment at ridiculous prices

Most reactions

New Topics

Back