Attempt at "Edgy" Prom Shots C&C

You might want to check out ilovephotography.com they are much kinder, and less critical than this forum. You will fit right in.

Holy ****! I wonder if they could fit some more links and buttons on their main page?!?

It's nice though. They have links to all the places that sell props, walls, floorboards, Actions, etc...

At first, I couldn't tell where the forum began. After a year and a half of scrolling (I bent space/time to post this in a timely fashion) I got to the forum index... Which I couldn't view as a guest.

Seriously?

:lmao:

I joined. I am nosy. :lmao: They have about 10 billion rules. F that. Oh and I am not in the mood for any actions. I got some when I first got PS a few years ago and quickly learned that they weren't for me. ;)

Nope I don't know how to use off camera flash...........I could learn, if I choose to. I am choosing not to at this point. I LIKE the look of photography taken in all natural light and in my opinion you can not get studio lighting to look exactly the same as natural light.

• What evidence and/or experience is your opinion based upon?
  • The "natural" lighting of today is not guaranteed to be the same tomorrow.
  • The "natural" lighting" at this moment is not guaranteed to be the same in the next 5 minutes, much less the slotted time of your shoot.
  • If the "natural" light also contains a lot of moisture, I can throw my "unnatural" light a hundred feet from a dry shelter to light my subject.
At a glance, can you tell me this wasn't lit from an open window?
1244477336_zEsK4-XL.jpg

At a glance, can you tell me why using fill flash makes this unnatural? Oh wait....... she's missing the raccoon eyes. nvmd​

sartain%20steph%20wedding-802a-L.jpg

Now I do hope to get some reflectors and learn how to work with the natural light better, but I'm not choosing natural light because I'm too stupid to figure out a flash.
It is nothing more difficult than learning how to operate your camera. It takes time, desire and lots of bad shots.

The tilt.......I don't think it is intended to show movement at least not in my pictures, it is just a different perspective but I can understand that it appeals to some but not others.

I appreciate the input.........thanks!

This is what I was talking about. You defend everything you do, so why bother posting for CC?

The bolded part above shows that you understand absolutely nothing about composition and the elements of design. DIAGONALS ALWAYS SUGGEST MOVEMENT, whether you don't intend them to or not DOES NOT MATTER. It is NOT just a different perspective.

My advice to you is to get books on composition and the elements of design, for both photography, and art in general, and you will begin to understand.
If you choose to make excuses for the very good advice you have been given and ignore, so be it. But why waste peoples time?

You might want to check out ilovephotography.com they are much kinder, and less critical than this forum. You will fit right in.

I'm not defending........I am just trying to discuss. I didn't realize that when asking for C&C I was supposed to take YOUR opinions as 100% truth and not discuss my point of view on them. I wasn't getting pissy because of the criticism and I said THANK YOU.

Nope I don't know how to use off camera flash...........I could learn, if I choose to. I am choosing not to at this point. I LIKE the look of photography taken in all natural light and in my opinion you can not get studio lighting to look exactly the same as natural light.

• What evidence and/or experience is your opinion based upon?
  • The "natural" lighting of today is not guaranteed to be the same tomorrow.
  • The "natural" lighting" at this moment is not guaranteed to be the same in the next 5 minutes, much less the slotted time of your shoot.
  • If the "natural" light also contains a lot of moisture, I can throw my "unnatural" light a hundred feet from a dry shelter to light my subject.
At a glance, can you tell me this wasn't lit from an open window?
1244477336_zEsK4-XL.jpg

At a glance, can you tell me why using fill flash makes this unnatural? Oh wait....... she's missing the raccoon eyes. nvmd​

Now I do hope to get some reflectors and learn how to work with the natural light better, but I'm not choosing natural light because I'm too stupid to figure out a flash.
It is nothing more difficult than learning how to operate your camera. It takes time, desire and lots of bad shots.

In my opinion both of these do look like they are obviously lit by an "man made" source. There is a glare on her hair and she just looks plastic to me.

I don't understand why you people think it is your way or the highway. Whatever. I'll get in my car and drive I guess.

Kyna, i prefer the straight-forward style of 1 but it's a bit too off center IMO. The focus in 2 is much better but the branches in the way distract. People choosing to stand on railways lines, for me is really becoming tedious and looks cheesy. I'm just being honest..appologies if it comes over rude.

I'm a fan of natural light for a certain style of shot (more the candid/documentary type). For a portrait, pure use of available light should be where it has a dramatic quality.

I don't understand why you people think it is your way or the highway. Whatever. I'll get in my car and drive I guess.

I don't understand why you would intentionally limit your skill set or abilities by not utilizing flash. Light is light (whether you understand that or not). Whatever. I'll get in my car and smoke a joint I guess.

I absolutely love this, great example Kundalini!

Kyna. I tried to use natural light for everything at the beginning. On an overcast day or in shade (equal to room light) my shutter would be too slow or I'd have too high of ISO or worse yet I'd have such a wide open aperature that the dof would be way to narrow. When I started using flash those settings became so much easier to set and the overall shots became better. If you do not make a persons eyes pop in a picture you have missed their soul. 7 out of 10 people will miss what's wrong in the rest of the picture if the eyes pop. When you achieve that ability you will see more in that person than you did before.

Most reactions

Back