Attempting to move from cybershot to 20D

Parrotrosie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone!
I have been using a Sony Cybershot with a 10x carl zeiss telephoto lens - its about ten years old. Up until now, it has served me very well (and it actually still does now that it is considered my 'beater' camera and goes camping and to the beach with me) But, I really enjoy Macrophotography and my daughter ice skates and the sony just does not cut it with either anymore.

So, I decided to pick up the hubby's Cannon 20D with macro lens and I have had good success with that. I recently tried the telephoto lens to shoot the ice skaters and what I saw through the viewfinder was very exciting! I got home, dumped to my computer and was so very disappointed. The shots were soft, grainy, not quite in focus. Poo.

Turns out it was set to RAW mode, which my hubby loves. Apparently I hate it. I want to set to high JPEG but he is recommending against that. He says the RAW mode is the most powerful...but I don't like the photos and I don't know how to post process very well.

What are your suggestions as fellow photographers....should I try the JPEG or should I learn the post-processing process? (FYI - I am not the swiftest of learners with megaprograms like photoshop):lol:

Any suggestions for the beginner to real DSL photography would be appreciated!! Thanks!

Your better half is correct, rosie: if image quality is in any way important to you, I recommend shooting and learning to PP RAW. Imo it's the difference between taking snaps and making photos!
The basics aren't difficult to wrap your head around, but you can make it as complex as you want. And you are in an enviable position: you've got a personal RAW teacher at hand!

What Dolly said! There's really not a lot of difference between PP in RAW and PP in .jpg; it's just that you have a LOT more scope with a RAW image in terms of what you can do; changing white balance, greater latitude to increase & decrease highlights, dark areas, saturation, etc.

As an aside, one of the reasons your images may have been soft when using the telephoto is because of a low shutter speed. Your shutter speed should at least equal the focal length of the lens, and ideally 50% again if you are hand-holding. So, if you have a 70-300 zoom, and it's stretched out to 300mm, your shutter speed should be at least 1/300 sec, and ideally more like 1/450 because the longer lens is harder to hand-hold.

Good luck.

Aaaaa,

The RAW vs JPEG debate all over again.

I am a proponent of RAW but that doesn't mean JPEG wouldn't serve your purposes. They both have their own advantages and disadvantages and a quick search on this forum or any search engines will list all of them so I am going to refrain from listing those all over again.

What I am going to say is that if your photographs are for personal use and since you are not (at this point in time anyway) that adept to learning photoshop,shooting JPEG will be more than adequate for you. Its more than adequate for a lot of pros too so you shouldn't be worried about that. There are still plenty of adjustments that you can do to JPEGs if so you wish to do at some time.

Having said that although JPEGs take advantage of some sharpening within your camera just beacause you shot RAW your photos shouldn't be that soft (I haven't seen them just taking your word on it). I am going to venture and say that since the photos were of skating there was some movent going onand that the softness was more because of that movement and maybe a bit of camera shake as well. Something that even if you had shot JPEG wouldn't have benn corrected.

Like I ssaid before I like shooting RAW but if you really don't want to be involved that much in post JPEG is more than adequate. I would go out and practice shooting moving objects though. It is a very dificult skill to master. Takes time and patience.

Good luck with your endevours

Ok..thanks for the replies...I won't get into the apparent RAW/JPEG debate here then...lol I will go research that a bit more myself.

I thought I would post three pics for examples...two are motion shots and one is a still, and even with the still I had issue. But lo! I was talking to the hubby today about some advice and suggestions and he goes on to tell me...that I had the wrong shutter speed, and I didn't have the lens stablizer turned on (what?!) and blah blah blah...so he is holding out on me!

Anywhoo..here are the three

1)
IMG_5329.jpg

Taken With: Canon Canon EOS 20DFile Size: 178 kb - 800x533Taken On: 2008:05:21 15:41:13Camera Make: CanonCamera Model: Canon EOS 20DDate/Time: 2008:05:21 15:41:13Resolution: 800 x 533Flash Used: NoFocal Length: 200.0mm (35mm equivalent: 320...CCD Width: 22.48mmExposure Time: 0.0080 s (1/125)Aperture: f/2.8ISO Equiv.: 800Whitebalance: AutoExposure: program (auto)

2)
sammy1.jpg

Taken With: Canon Canon EOS 20DFile Size: 213 kb - 800x670Taken On: 2008:05:21 15:19:47Camera Make: CanonCamera Model: Canon EOS 20DDate/Time: 2008:05:21 15:19:47Resolution: 800 x 670Flash Used: NoFocal Length: 185.0mm (35mm equivalent: 459...CCD Width: 14.52mmExposure Time: 0.0040 s (1/250)Aperture: f/3.2ISO Equiv.: 800Whitebalance: AutoExposure: program (auto)

and 3)
IMG_5313.jpg

Taken With: Canon Canon EOS 20DFile Size: 199 kb - 800x533Taken On: 2008:05:21 15:31:53Camera Make: CanonCamera Model: Canon EOS 20DDate/Time: 2008:05:21 15:31:53Resolution: 800 x 533Flash Used: NoFocal Length: 145.0mm (35mm equivalent: 232...CCD Width: 22.48mmExposure Time: 0.020 s (1/50)Aperture: f/2.8ISO Equiv.: 800Whitebalance: AutoExposure: program (auto)

For all shots I was using a Monopod. I have included all the captured data from each photo, so perhaps I need not be in a JPeg vs RAW discussion, rather than a remedial photography discussion? Like I said, I have always used a point and shoot and I suppose I am feeling quite overwhelmed by Fstops, aperatures, shutterspeeds and so forth.

I guess I need to get a Photography for Dummies book and get back to basics. You see, I am the more artistic type, not that you can tell from these pics. I loved the old camera because it was easy. But to do the subject matter I wish to do now, I have to grow...owwww...the growing pains...ow!!

So, can you evaluate my data and tell me, I had the camera set all wrong for what I was trying to do ...didn't I....sigh.:blushing:

Thanks

Most reactions

Back