Awesome sister shoot

ang1995

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took these last month of some of my sister and now I am trying to do a shoot with everyone of them before winter (there are 5 sisters and 1 brother) so I know what I will be doing for the next week and what you'll are going to be seeing :) They are pretty though so that should help. :D

Here are a few of my favs that I got.

Please feel free to C&C!

47a1d735b3127cce985485a00d8e00000035100AbNnLdo0YsmVg

This really cute little boy came up and thought he had to get in the pix too. How could we not let him in????

47a1d735b3127cce985485a18cbf00000035100AbNnLdo0YsmVg

47a1d735b3127cce98549a254d9c00000035100AbNnLdo0YsmVg

I know this is really creepy looking!
47a1d735b3127cce98549a6b4dd200000035100AbNnLdo0YsmVg

C&C per req:

1. Nice composition and posing, but you're exposure is wayyyyyy out. Because you're shooting a back/sidelit subject, your camera's meter has been 'fooled' and drastically under-exposed the faces. This is where a reflector or OCF would have saved the day.

2. Much better exposure; still a mild case of racoon eyes, but not too bad. I'm not a fan of the angles, but that's a purely personal thing. Make sure you watch for things like kitty in the background and either include her, or shoo her away.

3. Nice; the strongest of the set IMO. Good exposure, WB seems slightly off, but that's easily fixed.

4. I like this, a well executed pose, but the exposure still needs work. Don't forget that even outdoors on bright days, supplemental light is very often, nay, usually necessary to achieve optimum exposure. A reflector and OCF would have helped greatly here.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

I agree with tirediron on #1. Also, I would have cropped out a tiny bit more of the sky and left a tiny bit more on the bottom, but that's just my preference.
I like #2, I really like the angle. The cat is distracting, and to me the sister on the right's foot half cropped out is also distracting.
#3 is great
I like the pose in #4, but you're right, its creeping me out a little bit! ;) Cute though.

C&C per req:

1. Nice composition and posing, but you're exposure is wayyyyyy out. Because you're shooting a back/sidelit subject, your camera's meter has been 'fooled' and drastically under-exposed the faces. This is where a reflector or OCF would have saved the day.

2. Much better exposure; still a mild case of racoon eyes, but not too bad. I'm not a fan of the angles, but that's a purely personal thing. Make sure you watch for things like kitty in the background and either include her, or shoo her away.

3. Nice; the strongest of the set IMO. Good exposure, WB seems slightly off, but that's easily fixed.

4. I like this, a well executed pose, but the exposure still needs work. Don't forget that even outdoors on bright days, supplemental light is very often, nay, usually necessary to achieve optimum exposure. A reflector and OCF would have helped greatly here.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

Thanks so much for the feedback!

I totally agree with you with what you said! I keep hearing that a reflector would help a lot but I do not have one so I can't use that.

I agree with tirediron on #1. Also, I would have cropped out a tiny bit more of the sky and left a tiny bit more on the bottom, but that's just my preference.
I like #2, I really like the angle. The cat is distracting, and to me the sister on the right's foot half cropped out is also distracting.
#3 is great
I like the pose in #4, but you're right, its creeping me out a little bit! ;) Cute though.

Thanks for the advise!

#3 is definitely my favorite out of the lot =) You should have it printed and frame it for her!

I keep hearing that a reflector would help a lot but I do not have one so I can't use that.
Then GO GET ONE!! Staples, Wal-mart, dollar-stores.... a piece of 3x4 posterboard or foam core in white or very light yellow, a silver car windshield heat-reflector... Photo gear doesn't always have to be expensive. $10 will put you into a usable reflector!

The subjects and poses are fine, but I'm a little taken back because of the lack of lighting on the subjects due to shadows. If you are able to do the same shots but with some extra lighting, that would help a lot. Was any type of flash used when shooting these?

The subjects and poses are fine, but I'm a little taken back because of the lack of lighting on the subjects due to shadows. If you are able to do the same shots but with some extra lighting, that would help a lot. Was any type of flash used when shooting these?

No, there was no flash used on these. I do agree with everyone about the lighting and I should go back and try to fix them up and I will do that as soon as I can.

I keep hearing that a reflector would help a lot but I do not have one so I can't use that.
Then GO GET ONE!! Staples, Wal-mart, dollar-stores.... a piece of 3x4 posterboard or foam core in white or very light yellow, a silver car windshield heat-reflector... Photo gear doesn't always have to be expensive. $10 will put you into a usable reflector!

I know I need to get one but honestly I'm not sure exactly what I'm supposed to do with it. I need to study up on it some.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back