Baby Portrait and Headshot feedback!

rhyno214

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Now that I have finally found this website and realized how useful it can really be, I would like you guys to tear apart some of my work. I am not a professional, but I enjoy taking pictures for my friends and would maybe like to make some money some day.

So, the first two pictures are of a baby shoot. I am terrible with babies, but they really wanted some... I think they turned out ok, but what do you guys think?
untitled%20shoot-0067-Edit_zpskirz0ytd.jpg

untitled%20shoot-0039_zpsgv9sllbe.jpg

The second three are from a headshot shoot for an acting agency. (The first one needs some extra touch ups on the left side, I am still working on them)
untitled%20shoot-9890-Editfinal_zpsxthbuqwl.jpg

untitled%20shoot-9878-Edit_zps7jngisxs.jpg

untitled%20shoot-9799-Edit_zpsnnafbuev.jpg

Note, I was told to not edit too much for these three photos.

And the final two are from a shoot where I was just trying out some techniques.
untitled%20shoot-9364_zps0ckv4tep.jpg

untitled%20shoot-9493_zpspznk4e1k.jpg

Thank you so much for your help!

Last edited:
That's a lot of pictures for one post! For best results when asking for C&C, 4 images or fewer is generally recommended, but what the heck, it's Sunday.

1. A cute image and nice expressions. I think your depth of field (DoF) was a little shallow as some of Dad's face seems soft. There's also a bit of a green cast in the skin, but that's easily correctable. The exposure on the child seems just a bit hot; maybe 1/2 stop or so, and I kind of wish that you hadn't cropped of quite so much of Dad's head.

2. Great smile; this would have worked much better shot in portrait (vertical) aspect so as to avoid the awkward crop at the child's wrists. Cutting limbs is find, but avoid doing so at joints. I would also crop the edges to remove the lawn; that looks a bit messy to me.

3. Very nice; I like the exposure and conversion here, but there's something messy going on around her right cheek; did you try and hide some fly-away hair? Try and avoid having subjects turn their head quite so far or at least moving their eyes so far; it's generally desirable to have a bit of sclera showing on each side of the iris.

4. Nicely done again, 'though it doesn't matter too much here because of the crop, it's generally not appropriate to pose subjects, especially young ladies square to the camera. This is often referred to as 'football shoulders' and emphasizes the broadness of the subject; a 15-20 degree turn of the body usually provides a much more attractive body shape for the camera.

5. See comment in #3 regarding the eyes; also note the rather pronounced neck wrinkle that such an extreme turn of her neck has caused.

6. Interesting... technically it's fine, 'though it leaves the viewer wondering what's happening. Cropping some of the top and right side might not go amiss.

7. I like the look here, but her face is somewhat under-exposed and her eyes a bit dark. Overall however not bad given the lighting in the scene.

I didn't know about the 4 picture thing... I will remember that for next time!

I was originally going for a more washed out photo for #1, but I see the problem with it being too shallow...

I was actually going to post this image for number two, but selected the wrong one >.< There is a little cut off in the elbow, but not as severe as the first one. I kept the grass only because I thought it added a really nice dark contrast opposed to the light pinks and blues.
untitled%20shoot-0063_zpsmcah9ymq.jpg

As for the green cast, I could not get it out of her hair for some reason... Her hair actually is that color, so it was proving difficult.

I didn't hide any hair that I am aware of, but I might just be forgetting something. I also see your point about not having them turned around so much. That makes a lot of sense.

For the 6th picture, I was just trying to show her personality. That more or less explains who she is, but it is a little weird for someone who doesn't know her.

I would have preferred to have a reflector or something with me at the shoot, but I don't have one and I had no one to help hold it :(

Most reactions

New Topics

Back