Back from the (almost) Dead

Scoody

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This past week I picked up a camera for a paying gig again after a four month hiatus. This past October 6th I was out riding my motorcycle with a couple of friends. We were ripping the curves pretty good. I pushed it a little too hard and high sided into the ditch at 85 maybe 90 miles an hour. Suffered a lot of serious injuries. I broke my left arm, broke 9 ribs, all on my right side. Punctured a lung, lacerated my liver. I ripped a chunk out of my left leg to the bone. Peeled a slice from my right leg. While the broken bones have healed, the injuries to my legs have not. My left leg actually had a drain tube on it until last month. They still look like someone slapped a raw hamburger patty on them.

The first month was the worst. I had great difficulty getting out of bed. This led to me have having accidents. Shitting and pissing myself in bed way too often. The pain, the difficulty walking even with the use of a walker made it easy to get depressed. I could not wrap my mind around being so helpless. I grew up breaking horses. Boxed in the Texas Golden Gloves. Was awarded a college football scholarship. Served in the Army during the Panama Invasion and Desert Storm. I was alays a take charge kind of guy. I always prided myself on never showing a weakness. Now here I was, unable to even wipe my own ass.

In all of this, the soul who became my rock to lean on, my port in a storm was completely unexpected. It was my dog, Polo. Polo never left my side. He would help me out of bed. I would hold on to his collar and the would help pull me to my feet. He would walk me to the bathroom and wait by the door to guide me back. If I needed more help than he could provide, he would get my wife or my son.

I am not 100% yet, but I am well enough to start taking on gigs again. Between my dog and my work I should be okay.

Ouch sounds like you had a very unlucky and nasty accident, but that you've also had a very lucky pull through considering how the injuries make it sound like it could have gone a lot worse.

All I can say is hope you can continue to take it as easy as you can and let your body continue to recover. Sounds like you've got a lot of work ahead to rebuild what you've lost and considering the leg injury I hope you've got access to a good seat or even wheelchair if need be. Recovery is a tricky process of leaning to push yourself just far enough to recover, but not so far that you do further damage ontop of what you've already got.

Hope that your recovery continues well and that before long you're fully up and around as normal!

Good that you had that dog. I don't know how dogs know how and when, but they do.

Wow, lucky to be alive. Glad your moving forward and what a dog.

My Pitbull, Polo

Sorry to hear about your accident and injuries. Take the recovery at your own pace and try to stay positive. Glad you're feeling well enough to work again.

Holy crap, you've been through a lot! I guess you got tired of hearing how lucky you were to be alive, since you were so challenged in your recovery.

Polo sounds like a special dog. :)

Scoody, glad to see you back on here. Sounds like a long stretch and I'm glad you're getting back into things. Keep on with your recovery.

Hi Scoody sounds like you had a bit of a graze - but as another ex military bike riding dog lover I feel there is only one question to ask ........ How's the Bike ?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back