Backside in direct sun

jcdeboever

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, it may not be everyone's cup of tea but I took this shot as more of a challenge. The sun was high and in front but I was interested to see if I could capture the wonderful illumination of the petals. I liked the outline of the petals caused by it's last days. I had to frame it correctly as well so I could do the square crop. Those were my goals while keeping that bright dappled light in check. Oh, @astroNikon helped me with this shot at the gardens in AA

DSC_0370e.jpg

Last edited:
nicely done. If memory serves I believe Ed Brown the oldhippy did several backlits as well. Ed's still life flowers is approaching, or got there, world class

nicely done. If memory serves I believe Ed Brown the oldhippy did several backlits as well. Ed's still life flowers is approaching, or got there, world class
I agree. He is very talented and I couldn't carry his tripod. Working on it though...

I agree. He is very talented and I couldn't carry his tripod. Working on it though...

this shot is a good shot! Now all you really need to do is find a perfect bloom, no blems, and your gallery bound!!!!!! :)

Awesome shot,
gotta go back there in the spring.

It speaks to your photographic eye that you are now looking at the backside/underside of flowers/plants. I think that backlighting and flower is almost redundant. Difficult and seemingly bad/tricky lighting will also deliver much more drama when captured properly. I like the DOF of the shot and you still managed quite good looking bokeh.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Flowers/Backyard-Series/i-kSWPtVp/0/L/Clematis-A-UE-L.jpg
(one of my backside shots)

I like it. I agree with you about the fading curl on the petals helping with the outline. And you didn't fool me for a minute with that title.

I disagree with the comparison to Ed though. Other than subject matter, this to me is not similar in style at all to Old Hippy's stuff.

I like it. I agree with you about the fading curl on the petals helping with the outline. And you didn't fool me for a minute with that title.

I disagree with the comparison to Ed though. Other than subject matter, this to me is not similar in style at all to Old Hippy's stuff.

Thanks. He wasn't comparing me too Ed, he was just stating he has done many world class backlit flowers. Or that's how I interpreted it.

Thanks Gary and Steve.

read jcdeboever reply. he got it exactly right.

Thanks. He wasn't comparing me too Ed, he was just stating he has done many world class backlit flowers. Or that's how I interpreted it.
I interpreted it that you are now world class :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back