Bacon Causes Cancer

The wife cooks in bacon grease. She has a can near the stove. Is that bad? I'm only 80lbs over weight. [emoji37]

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

If we are discussing ways to die, I choose exhaustion after a 72hr sex bender with the entire Dallas cowboy's cheerleaders.

For instance, a certain number of people with cancer watched Sesame Street as a kid, ergo..... watching Sesame Street causes cancer.
I dislike correlation studies, because of what you state here.

However, I think this was a causation study.

If we are discussing ways to die, I choose exhaustion after a 72hr sex bender with the entire Dallas cowboy's cheerleaders.
72 hours? More like 7.2 minutes for me

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I remember the very moment it hit me that it's all over. It was about 30 years ago. I was standing in line at the grocery checkout when I looked over at the tabloid magazines, and there it was: "Water Causes Cancer".

Bacon? Sure, it was inevitable. At least it tastes and smells great, unlike so many things that also give us cancer. :)

the problem is lack of physical activity and lack of moderation. If I ate bacon cheese burgers every day and did nothing other than sit at a desk, im sure id have cancer, a heart attack, or a stroke. If you ate a few strips of bacon every so often, ate fairly healthy with the right sized meals while being active through running, hiking, biking, swimming. . . some form of activity, youd be just fine.

I'm not surprised that this terrible news ended up being reported here, nor am I surprised that this thread is already 3 pages long. :biglaugh:

the problem is lack of physical activity and lack of moderation. If I ate bacon cheese burgers every day and did nothing other than sit at a desk, im sure id have cancer, a heart attack, or a stroke. If you ate a few strips of bacon every so often, ate fairly healthy with the right sized meals while being active through running, hiking, biking, swimming. . . some form of activity, youd be just fine.

You mean I have to assign myself some personal accountability?!

Meh, I'd rather find some company/product to blame for my woes.

Ummm... No, unfortunately, that's not borne out by the facts that surround us in reality.

People who pursue an active, healthy lifestyle, replete with exercise, healthy eating, no smoking, and all the rest, are still candidates for virtually any kind of cancer we can name, as evidenced by the fact that those people are sitting and laying right next to everyone else in the chemo wards. I myself can attest to this. I've had lengthy conversations with some of them over the past 15 years, as we sit there together for hours with tubes in us, delivering our very special Toxic Slushies. Got nothing better to do than chat, as in this cartoon I made back when:

baldchicks34_350.jpg

I myself was no health nut, per se, but other than smoking, I was a really healthy guy, climbing up and down utility poles all day for a living for most of my career, which amounted to 10 hours at the gym every day, then spending weekends hiking around, up and down mountains and valley and so on, shooting photos all over the country, wherever my job took me. I ate fairly healthy too, starting with a sit down breakfast every morning of eggs, potatoes, whole wheat toast, orange juice, sausage or - oops - there it is - BACON! :)

Anyway, I got a blood cancer that nobody has yet ID'd the source of - for anyone who's got it, not just me. They don't know what causes it. It's not like how people who smoke are more likely to get lung cancer, so if you get lung cancer the first thing they ask is, "did you smoke"? If you say no, it's, "oh, well, it happens". Maybe second-hand smoke got you, or pollution, or a combination of the two, or nobody really knows for sure.

Point is, sure, I was no Jim Fixx, but a fairly healthy lifestyle didn't save me from getting cancer.

Even toddlers and children who haven't had a chance to screw their lives up with bad habits yet get cancer. So, no, I must disagree with the premise that all it takes is healthy living to avoid it.

At present, I believe the statistics are that 42% of Americans can now expect to get cancer at some time in their lifetimes.

It's no reason not to pursue a healthy lifestyle, of course. But facts are facts, and we must acknowledge them.

Ken Burns recently released a 3 part / 6 hour documentary series on the history of cancer research and treatments from the very beginning to date, and it's an amazing and fantastic piece of work. You can see it for free at the link I'll place below, right after I go look it up again. I enjoyed it so much that I bought the DVD set.

Link: Ken Burns and PBS present: "Cancer: The Emperor of All Maladies"

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back