Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

maverickphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Looking for ideas. Im leaning towards a backpack but thinking or other options

What do you shoot primarily, how long are you usually out with your gear? What type/amount of equipment do you take?

What Peanuts said!
What and how you shoot will affect how much weight and now many items you have to carry:
That said:
Shoulderbags - good for ease of access whilst on the move - allows for easy access to kit (such as memory cards and lenses) without having to remove the bag first. Problem though is that one shoulder is taking all the weight - which with heavy kit can be tiring on a long trip (that said I know hikers and campers that use shoulder bags because their rucksack is full of camping kit)

Backpack - good for longer distances and carrying large amounts of kit - get one with chest and weist straps for added comfort. Only downside is lack of easy access to kit - though there are some that allow quick removal of the camera and attached lens whilst the bag is still worn - but any lens or kit changing has to be done by pausing and taking the bag off.

Waist bags - good for quick access and can be make for more even weight distribution then a shoulder bag, though not nessessarily the best for larger/longer lenses - good for shorter lenses and quick changing of kit whilst on the move.

d> all of the above

I have a lot of bags and always find myself needing or wanting more.

I find a standard shoulder-slung messenger bag is great for gigs, it's easy to drop on the floor if I need to, and I can get at stuff while I'm on the move and it's on my shoulder. Larger and smaller sizes depending on how much gear I'll need on the site.

A backpack is excellent for trips when you want to have something a bit easier to manage, but can be more difficult to get equiment out of... but also tend to be good options for bringing "other stuff" (in my case... usually diapers and sippy cups!) :lol:

Those sling packs that go over one shoulder are also very cool... they do a bit of both of the things I describe, but they tend to be a bit more limited on size and I don't personally love the way they tend to open up and such... also not the best thing if you need to "look nice"... somehow a messenger bag looks better IMO. (totally IMO here)

I am finding that I need at least a couple of types.

I have a sling bag (Lowepro Slingshot 200) that I love. Absolutely perfect for 1 camera and couple of lenses (even a spare P&S) while we were at Disney. You don't have to take the bag off to get at the camera and since it is on youback, you don't have to worry about running into people and it being knocked around.

But not so great if you need to take more equipment like a tripod, second camera body, etc. Which is why I'm getting a backpack in addition to the sling bag.

And I can see getting a hard case for storage and travel.

I suspect you'll end up with more than one bag, depending on the situation.

I like backpacks myself...but I usually wear them like shoulder bags, just slung over one shoulder.

I like to bring my long lens along, and it really doesn't fit in anything except a backpack.

I also have a backpack with wheels, for airline trips. It holds my laptop as well as my camera gear, and complies with airline carryon guidelines (just barely).

When I'm not bringing the long lens, I use a sling-style bag. It's very convenient, because you can slide it around to the front to easily access your camera, and use the bag as a base to steady your arms while you shoot. Very quick.

I have a sling bag (Lowepro Slingshot 200) that I love. Absolutely perfect for 1 camera and couple of lenses (even a spare P&S) while we were at Disney. You don't have to take the bag off to get at the camera and since it is on youback, you don't have to worry about running into people and it being knocked around.

I have that one as well and I love it. Highly recommended. :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back