What's new

Beginners: Do Not Buy The D40/D40x

Here in Mexico that's 100% out of possibilities, but I guess it's possible in USA.

Really? You couldn't look on a photo forum and find some one selling used that's shipping internationally. People will do that at the POTN forums. I'm sure they will at FM and Nikonians as well.
 
I cant believe this thread is still going ha ha. You sure did stir up the hornets nest huh sabbath? How about we all just agree that some people are willing to buy the d40 line and live with the limitations, while others are not, to each his own. And END THIS ARGUMENT. lol. That is all, (mash reference).
 
sabbath has already recanted :mrgreen:
 
http://www.flickr.com/cameras/nikon/d40/

I have to disagree with sabbath999. Just click on the link above. These photos were taken with the D40 and are absolutely stunning! Now for the D40x, I agree, don't buy it. Besides, if you are buying a D40 you probably don't have enough money to buy all the nice non- AF-S lenses anyways, so the D40 is great for the beginner.
 
sabbath has already recanted :mrgreen:

Recanted only when the price of the camera with lens is less that $400. Not one penny more. :)
 
Really? You couldn't look on a photo forum and find some one selling used that's shipping internationally. People will do that at the POTN forums. I'm sure they will at FM and Nikonians as well.

Because my beloved country will charge me 26% more, and for that kind of camera, the shipment to Mexico is around 130 dollars, 600 bucks became 900 that fast.

Plus, buying used will left me with a lot of doubt because, as it being send from USA, I can't feel and look at it until I payed it.

Lastly, the photographer matters more than the camera.
 
I was looking at getting a D40 for awhile and still have not made up my mind on what DSLR to get. Does the D70 have any of the limitations of the D40? Or is the D70 good for someone who has been using manual focus film cameras for about a year now and wants to upgrade to Digital.
 
I was looking at getting a D40 for awhile and still have not made up my mind on what DSLR to get. Does the D70 have any of the limitations of the D40? Or is the D70 good for someone who has been using manual focus film cameras for about a year now and wants to upgrade to Digital.

The D70 does not have the same limitations as the D40/D40x/D60 and is often considered to be a better camera for somebody who already knows a bit about photography.
 
Not sure if this is the right place to keep asking these questions but is it comparable to a canon XT? better or worse?
 
I recently purchased a D40X, knowing the lens restrictions. But for me, the hobby photographer who just wants a good camera that does not break the bank, I think this was a good fit for me.

I think that not EVERYONE goes big in photography.

I also think that not everyone will get multiple lens.

I see lots of people buying a DSLR because they simply want to step up and get "a better REAL camera" so they buy a kit from COSTCO or wheverever,............. COuld be a D40 with a 18-55 or with a 18-135 or ehatever........ And they are MORE than satisfied.

I owned a D40 at one time. And a D80, and now a D300. Previous to that, several different P&S. Previous to that film bodies and multiple lenses etc all MANUAL FOCUS only....

To say the D40 or D40x is a horrible beginner camera is rubbish. To say it is a horrible beginner camera for someone who will continue on to buy multiple lenses is still rubbish.......... You can;t base everything on the fact that a certain '50mm lens won;t work on this' make it crap..

C'Mon. Not everyone has the bankbook or desire to take this to the next level. Now tell everyone plainly about this particular camera's limitations, that you can ONLY use an AF-S lens etc........ FINE!!! GREAT!!! OK NO PROBLEMS! There are lots of choices out there for AF-S lenses in quite a range. Bet that those will do just fine for most people too.

* The above is only MY opinion, and not an attack on any one poster or on the OP either.
 
I was going to write one of these, but you beat me to it.

The D40 is a good camera, but the lens selection is limited. If you don't have enough money for a D80 or above, then you probably don't have the hundreds, even thousands to blow on large and expensive AF-S lenses. Nikon's AF and AF-D line of lenses is as valuable to the budget photographer as Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina are. Nikon's reasons for denying these users access is beyond me.
 
Haha great job bringing an almost one year topic back lol
 
While I understand what you are saying, I would have thought that most people looking to buy a DSLR will do a large amount of research before they spend their hard earned cash, (I know that I did before I brought my camera.)

I agree. Although my reply doesn't pertain to Nikon, it has to do with my choice of a beginner DSLR.
I did a lot of reading, and made an informed decision. I decided on the Sony a200, and have been 100% completely happy with it so far. It was easy to learn how to use, there are tons of Minolta lenses out there for sale that are great quality and take very good pics, the image stabilization that the a200 uses is in the body, not the lens, and it won quite a few awards when it was introduced.
The nice thing as well is that when I decide it's time to upgrade to either a Sony a350 or a700, all of my lenses, batteries, and all of my accessories are 100% compatible. All I have to do is purchase a new body.
If you haven't, give the Sony a200 serious consideration, as it's a great beginner's DSLR.
 
manual focus ftw

Though this guy might be joking a little, I agree in a way.

95% of the time I manually focus. It's not difficult and sometimes the camera cannot get the right focus, either that or I want to manipulate the depth of field. Even for some action shots I'll focus on a spot ahead of time but of course this is due to my lens' autofocus limitations.

From what I understand, some of the higher-end(and of course expensive such as the 70-200 f2.8 or 200 f2) AF-S lenses have very fast autofocus mechanisms. Some of the lower end AF-S lenses(such as my D60 Kit lens or the 55-200 VR) do not have very fast autofocus mechanisms and hence have trouble with tracking moving subjects.

My question is, if the focus motor is moved to the camera itself(D50, D70), is autofocus performance still dependent on which lens you are using or is it more about the motor in the camera?

And yeah, where do people dig these threads up...:lol:
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom