Beginners: Do Not Buy The D40/D40x

I've just found out that you can cut a Nikon K3 focusing screen down to fit the D40, and it is very easy to change. You don't need to make the little tab - you can just cut it down to a plain rectangle. The K3 is the $30 screen with the split-image rangefinder prisms. It improves manual focusing and has no effect on any other functions. I can provide more details if anyone wants them.

Very interesting. And at $30 a lot cheaper than the KatzEye option. Add a small fee for cutting and you have a nice business idea there. ;)

Fitting a manual-focus screen is a great idea though. I know plenty of people focus manually with D40s, Rebels etc, but for me almost any dSLR is horrible for manual focusing. Guess I've been spoiled by film cameras. If I were in the Nikon system I could definitely see myself using the D40 with a split-image screen as a manual-focus backup, or for specific uses (for example I'd much rather use manual focus for macro). This little modification would be a great improvement IMO (if the camera can't autofocus with autofocus lenses then why not make the most of manual focus?)

I've just found out that you can cut a Nikon K3 focusing screen down to fit the D40, and it is very easy to change. You don't need to make the little tab - you can just cut it down to a plain rectangle. The K3 is the $30 screen with the split-image rangefinder prisms. It improves manual focusing and has no effect on any other functions. I can provide more details if anyone wants them.

I'll cut another one down for a friend, and take pictures.

Best,
Helen

I for one would like details... perhaps you could do a thread of it on its own with pictures of the process. Does it meter exactly the same?

Well I never intended in buying this camera but the price is right and I found they are having a sale at a local store of all digital cameras they only have a D40 kit for only $365 going rate for this is over $500 so ya im going to buy it and im debating if I want to try to sell it or use it as my crap camera in cases of high risk of breaking the camera. Though I want to get a D300 eventually but first I need some more good glass lenses.

The D40 is a beginners camera. I read dozens of reviews and every single one of them state it's for beginners.

With that said I purchased one for my 13 year old daughter. They sold it with the kit lens and a non-VR 55-200mm zoom for about $680.00.

After I bought it my daughter asked for a Macro lens. I knew about the camera not being able to meter and so I purchased a second hand Gossen Luna Pro incident light meter from ebay for $28.00. The lens, a 55mm F/2.8 Micro Nikkor set me back $87.00 on ebay. Does she miss not being able to autofocus with the macro lens? Not really, she normally sets her 18-55mm kit lens to manual when she used it for close up work. As far as using an external meter she loves using the incident light and spot metering feature on the Gossen. She saids it allows her the flexibility to define shadows more accurately.

Presently I'm looking to buy a Non-Ai manual focus lens since this camera can accept those lenses without a hitch and she can use her incident light meter with it also.

If anything, as a beginner, she should know how to use an external meter. So, as it stands, that limitation of the D40 worked out great in my daughters case.

Ordy

With Macro photography a D40 will work fine cause most cases you will get better result manually focusing unless your blind.

With Macro photography a D40 will work fine cause most cases you will get better result manually focusing unless your blind.

Or unless the companies design their cameras for autofocus, which means no manual focusing aids like microprism or split screen, and they need to keep costs down, which means a dark pentamirror and small viewfinder. Oh wait, that's exactly what happens. :p

Having had the D40 since practically the day it came out, and being a beginner who wants to go into more advanced photography, it is definitely a limiting camera. It is a "soccer mom" camera. Yes, it gives you options that you can't get with a point and shoot, and you can change lenses (albeit the more expensive ones), but that's all that really separates it from a point and shoot.

I became frustrated with the camera about 5 months after getting it. I wanted to move into studio photography and found out that it is much more difficult to sync multiple flashes with it. (I don't know the ins and outs of this so don't snap back). I found that very frustrating.

I also was looking to expand my lens collection and I have found AF very useful. I like having it there. I bought the 50mm 1.8 even though I knew I would have to manual focus all the time. I love the lens regardless, but it would be nice to be about to AF with it.

I think the D40 is meant for people who want a fancy point and shoot with a few extra options. Or for people who have tons of money to spend every time they want to buy a lens.

I agree with so much in this thread (and the original post).

I had a D40 kit for 2 months and got rid of it for a used D70s (should be here Monday). It took no time at all to find that the limitations of lenses was going to make me unhappy. I really wanted a 50mm f1.8 and wasn't about to try and keep up with my son with manual focusing. Not only that but as I learn and get better, I'm going to keep finding limitations.

I bought the D40 kit with the expectations to upgrade in a year and a half or so. Little did I know that it would be more like 2 months before I was unsatisfied. All the lenses I wanted were 500 and up. Now most of the lenses I want are around 300 or under (mostly primes like 50mm f1.8, 85 f1.8, and 35 f2)

I agree the D40 is not for the aspiring photographer that is going to grow a system out of there first DSLR. But face it, most who buy this camera are point and shooters that just want a little better than the P&S they got at WalMart or Walgreens. OTOH, how many decades did we go without auto focus, and even light meters? I still use a lot of MF glass, so to me that would not be a limitation. I have not used the D40, but for a camera to keep in the car or take where a D200 might be a temptation to the local low-life, it has it's place. Even for the serious armature or pro.

I think the D40 is meant for people who want a fancy point and shoot with a few extra options.

I suppose if someone considers the flexibility of lens choice on an dSLR one of those "few extra options" then agreed - totally no difference between the D40 and a Coolpix.

For those that actually want an entry level camera, the D40 is fine to use as a starter. It's just like a motorcycle - you're not gonna tell someone to hop on a Hayabusa, you recommend the moderate Ninja - both have enough power to get you where you need to go, and fast - but one is simply more advanced than the other.

As for being able to buy a D50 - sure, but its more than likely not going to come with a robust waranty/return policy as a D40 will have from someone trying to clear out stock.

I wouldn't get one if I could afford a D80; but if the D40 was in my price range, and my comfort level I would jump on one - it is far from a bad camera, it simply isn't a very "advanced" one (and isn't meant to be).

Answering another thread has reminded me that the D40 and D40x are compatible with pre-AI lenses, while a lot of the other Nikon digital bodies are not. This means that if you can use a light meter or a histogram and you are capable of focusing manually you can use pre-AI lenses, some of which are very good quality and excellent value.

Best,
Helen

Sir, you are being a Troll digging up nothing but a Cannon vs. Nikon argument. Perhaps the next mod through would be so kind as to lock this thread.

I love my D40, I will upgrade sooner rather than later, however I am sure I will keep the D40 till it dies. Lightweight, easy to use, extremely cheap. Great casual shooter.

I have to say, I'm with you and all the other D40 owners on the site. Kinda got my blood pressure up (as it does anytime I see D40 bashing) I spent $650 on a camera I want to feel is the BEST without people saying it sucks. I mean, it's a no-brainer that my camera vs a new $3,000 DSLR is going to suck.

If you can afford those cameras, FANTASTIC, some of us can't.

Most reactions

Back