Despite the OP's viewpoint which I respect, there are still a good number of beginners and other D40 owners here (perhaps even a majority?) who bought the D40 and have no regrets. It's a great little camera at a great price, and it's incredibly easy to use. Like some of them said, if it wasn't for the D40 they might not have ever gotten into photography in the first place.
Just my $0.02 on some of the points that have been made...
"
If you don't plan on adding lenses, then there really isn't much of a point in buying a DSLR over some of the really good point and shoots out there."
A few people made this point. The mere fact that you now have a DSLR class camera with the D40 means you get:
- super fast focusing
- far more resolution
- 2.5 fps,
and it will re-focus and re-meter each frame
- clean iso800, and completely usable iso1600. No P&S can touch this.
- iso3200 when you need it. Again, no P&S can touch this.
- the ability to use external flashes for bouncing, which most P&S's don't let you do.
- the ability to switch lenses and choose among many, despite no AF on some of them.
- The D40 specifically has 1/500s flash sync, which is extremely important for outdoor action in the sun. This is better than any current Nikon DSLR, including the $5000 D3.
- depth of field control. Even with the 18-55, you still have far more depth of field control than a P&S.
You get all this just for getting a DSLR and I haven't even started on the lens issues yet. Considering you can get a basic D40/18-55 kit for only a little bit more money than one of the "prosumer" P&S cameras out there, I'd say the D40 is an incredible value. And judging by the sales figures and the fact that Nikon has passed Canon in Japan as far as DSLR marketshare thanks to the D40, I'd say that the consumer buying public generally agrees.
"Also I've seen a few of you argue you don't need AF, or as thefizzle put it AF is a luxury. That is a huge load of crap. AF is a tool in the camera. I challenge you to point your D40 with a 200mm f/2.8 at something on the horizon and get the shot in focus."
Easy, just focus to infinity and you'll nail it.
You really
DON'T need AF all the time. I put my 10.5mm fisheye on my D40 all the time and get a lot of great photos with it. The depth of field is so huge with the fisheye even wide-open at f/2.8 that you can pretty much just park the focusing ring at 6 feet / infinity and everything is in focus. Wide angle lenses are also incredibly easy to manually focus. Putting my 35mm f2, 50mm f1.8, or 85mm f1.8 on my D40 and trying to manually focus for wide-open shots, yes that's a bit harder, particularly if the subject is moving. But guess what?
Even my D80 with the same exact lenses can have trouble keeping moving things in focus on a prime wide-open. Duh, because you have a tiny depth of field and a moving target at close range. That's why you stop down. I gave up on trying to keep my 9 month old in focus as she's moving about and usually shoot my 50mm lens at about f/4 now.
You don't
neeeeeeeeeeeed AF support just to enjoy primes. My 50mm f/1.8 is the sharpest and contrastiest lens that I own. Images look fantastic with it straight off the camera, and it's one of the few lenses I own that really doesn't need any post processing or sharpening done to the images straight off the camera. I have DxO with its calibrated module, and guess what? There's no distortion to correct, and no sharpening that needs to be added. It basically does nothing besides what ever other things I might do to images on my own. It's incredible, all for 100 bucks! You're only really asking for trouble when you try to shoot at larger apertures than f/2.8, at which point the modern focusing screens stop showing any differences. No problem. Get one of these K3 screens that Helen will hopefully post the goods on, or the Katz Eye screen. I'm seriously tempted to do this on my D40 because I love it. Ultra small and lightweight primes along with the ultra small and lightweight D40 body is the perfect combination.
"It's simple as that. The camera is simply not good value for money for anyone who intends to venture outside of the point and shoot arena and actually may one day own more than 1 lens."
Again, manually focusing is not impossible. And just because you have a prime doesn't mean you MUST shoot it wide-open. f/2.8 and smaller apertures you can get good results, while still enjoying the benefits of primes. I've tried it and done it. And not ALL non AF-S lenses are a burden to autofocus. The 10.5mm fisheye is brainlessly simple, as will be most wide-angles. Even telephotos might not be so bad provided you're zoomed in enough to fill the viewfinder. And as some others pointed out, manually focusing is actually
preferred for macro photography. I wouldn't hesitate to pickup a used 55 or 60mm f/2.8 micro lens and plop it on the D40 and manually focus.
You can still get the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 if you want a large aperture prime, and a whole ton of other Sigma HSM lenses. There's tons of great Nikon AF-S lenses out there that are affordable ($500 or less) like the 18-135, this new 18-55VR, and the 70-300VR. Just over that range is the 18-200VR. Want f/2.8 zoom lenses? You can get the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 HSM for well under $500. The D40 is a huge seller, and the 3rd party lens makers know this, and more and more "AF-S equivalent" lenses are coming out all the time. I'm sure Nikon will eventually offer more AF-S lenses as well, particularly primes, but you can't re-build your entire lens lineup overnight.
Basic D40 kits are being sold in the upper-$400 range right now (just checked B&H, $469.95). That's not a whole lot more money than the more advanced P&S's out there and you get FAR more capability. It's an outstanding value, which is why so many people buy them, and have no regrets even in spite of some of its limitations.
"I always urge everyone to stay away from [kit lenses]... unless they really do not care about getting pictures any better than most low end P&S cameras can do out of the box. Everyone that I know that has ever invested in one and developed more than a passing interest in photography are always sorry for doing that and always wish they had put the money into a better lens from the start."
This is OT, but I started with an 18-55 kit lens, think it's a great little lens, and have a ton of great photos to show for it where people honestly couldn't believe that I took it with the cheap crappy kit lens of all things. I hardly shoot with it anymore because now I have other lenses with either more range, or more speed, but it doesn't mean it's not a good lens. The 18-55 is perfectly capable of making thousands of great photos.
Here are just
three of many great photos that I've taken with the cheap crappy 18-55 kit lens. :mrgreen:
By the way, the one with my daughter on a swing was made possible thanks to the D40's
1/500s flash sync. I tried the same shot with my D80 which only does 1/200s flash sync, and at that crappy slow flash sync speed it just couldn't fill in the deep shadow on her face from the mid-day sun (flash power becomes more efficient at higher sync speeds). I had to toss every single photo from the D80 just for that reason alone, and it's one of the best features of the D40, and one of the things I hate the most about my D80. The 400D/XTi is no better than my D80 at 1/200s flash sync. I've thought about selling my D40 a few times to fund some glass, but it's just such a great little camera, and the fast flash sync speed is insanely useful, so I've held onto it for that among other reasons. As a sidenote, the D40x only does 1/200s flash syncing, which is one of the reasons I got the D40 and not the "x". Cleaner high ISO performance from fewer MP's on the sensor was another.
~~~~~~~
I think warning people about the limitations of the camera is a great idea. But at the end of the day people will decide on their own if these limitations matter to them or not. As Helen stated, there are many different kinds of beginners, so there really isn't a one size fits all answer. There are many different forms of photography, people will be looking to do a zillion different things with their cameras, and depending on all of those, the limitations may or
may not matter. I do not see FLOODS of disgruntled D40 owners pouring onto forums complaining about what they could have researched and figured out beforehand, which tells me that most 40 owners are probably pretty darned pleased with their cameras. I know I am!