Best aspect ratio

1:1 aka. Square

Shooting wider than usual, regardless of aspect ratio. That way, you can crop to whatever aspect ratio you want/need.

In my opinion the photo determines the aspect ratio that is appropriate for that photo. Cut the paper to fit...........
On purely artistic basis, I agree completely. If you're shooting for someone else however, I would recommend sticking with standard ratios. I personally prefer 4:5 for most single and two-person portraits.

4:5 and 4:3 are both pretty nice... 3:2 wastes a LOT of either A)image area or 2) paper.

For 8x10 enlargements, a 4:5 crop is perfect! Same with a 16x20 enlargement.

In Europe, most photo paper is only readily available in A sizes. This is very close to 3:2 and only requires a slither to be cropped off one end so I always crop my photos to fit the A ratio (300:212).

My exception to this is when I am using a medium format camera when I will stick to the negative ratios.

Sent from my A1-840 using Tapatalk

What is the best aspect ratio cropping to print different sizes of papers?
Do you want to print full bleed (all the way to the edges of the paper) or with some blank paper as a border to facilitate presentation/framing, like with a mat between the print and the glazing?

AspectRatioChartv2-1.png

In that case I would export the image in the highest resolution the camera can output.
Than you can crop whatever aspect ratio you want depending on the size of paper.

I try to shoot with the more common aspect ratios in mind; 4:5 and 2:3. IME, people look better in 4:5 usually.

There are 2 other reasons, one practical, one a bit more esoteric.

A standard aspect ratio means that pre-cut mats are usable, rather than custom.
I want people to look past the frame to the image. I believe that aspect ratios very different from what people are used to draw attention to their shape - exactly what I don't want.

In that case I would export the image in the highest resolution the camera can output.
Than you can crop whatever aspect ratio you want depending on the size of paper.

My concern is if I give a client an image file, let says 8x10, this client probably wants to print 10x12 photo paper. The client may struggle with cropping the image.

Which is why you should be the expert and the one that has made/or makes prints.
The average customer has no clue about aspect ratios, cropping, or the many other considerations related to of having prints made.

absolutely.
Give the client images labelled for size paper. Dunce_couple_12_4x6.jpg, Dunce_couple_12_8x10.jpg, etc.

Give them as few opportunities as possible to screw up and blame it on you.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back