Little Advise For The Future

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Attended my granddaughters graduation from Mizzou at Hearnes Center on campus, a large indoor arena. I guess the school must be on an austerity program because only a fraction of the overhead lights were on and those that were, cast a yellowish glow. Shooting from seating about 30' above the floor. The first is ISO 25600, F/5.6, 1/80 200 mm, with a heavy crop. The WB was sampled from the white program Our Bailey is far left on both images
no-image-available-grid.jpg by William Raber, on Flickr

The second is at ISO 12800, F/4.5, 1/100, 50 mm cropped, but not as much as the first. Again the WB was sampled from the program on the chair behind them.

no-image-available-grid.jpg by William Raber, on Flickr

I knew the lighting would be bad going in, but I didn't anticipate the problem being as bad as it was. Obviously can't do it over, but any suggestions for the future? 2nd granddaughter graduates in 2 yrs, so I have time to practice LOL

I just got started editing these in LR, and will probably take them into PS to do the final editing. Again suggestions?

Last edited:
The first seems soft, then second seems spot on. How fast is that 200mm? If it was F/2.8, that what I would have used and then bring the ISO down. The second shot is remarkably clean for 25600 and a crop on top of that.

You got two tears to get a longer lens to reduce the need to crop (or a better seat :cool-48:).

The first seems soft, then second seems spot on. How fast is that 200mm? If it was F/2.8, that what I would have used and then bring the ISO down. The second shot is remarkably clean for 25600 and a crop on top of that.

You got two tears to get a longer lens to reduce the need to crop (or a better seat :cool-48:).

Part of the softness was movement. Tried using some of the holding methods mentioned in another post to overcome some of the problems I have. The Pentax 50-200 I was using was at it's maximum for both aperture (5.6) and zoom 200mm, so that was likely a contributing factor also.

The second image was at ISO 12800 not 25600, plus I was closer.

Doubt the seat can be arranged, but I'm always up for new glass. LOL

The 2nd photo is a keeper -- you got the shot under adverses conditions. WB is a little yellow in what you've posted here.

Joe

Part of the softness was movement. Tried using some of the holding methods mentioned in another post to overcome some of the problems I have. The Pentax 50-200 I was using was at it's maximum for both aperture (5.6) and zoom 200mm, so that was likely a contributing factor also.

The second image was at ISO 12800 not 25600, plus I was closer.

Doubt the seat can be arranged, but I'm always up for new glass. LOL
One would think a big donation to the school would go long way to a front row seat. (But I think new glass would be cheaper and more fun.)

@Ysarex Thanks Joe. It seemed like the lights they had on were on low power. There was a terrible yellowish tint.

@Gary A. Closest seat was still a good 20' off the floor. They were running graduations from different schools throughout the day, at multiple locations. Health sciences (her degree) alone had over 500 graduating. Already mentioned what you said about new glass to the wife. Got a big eye roll!

If you shoot raw images, you can adjust the white balance effectively in the computer. Congratulations to you and your daughter.

@Ysarex Thanks Joe. It seemed like the lights they had on were on low power. There was a terrible yellowish tint.

@Gary A. Closest seat was still a good 20' off the floor. They were running graduations from different schools throughout the day, at multiple locations. Health sciences (her degree) alone had over 500 graduating. Already mentioned what you said about new glass to the wife. Got a big eye roll!
LOL ... okay, it's a uphill battle. You gots some time.

If you shoot raw images, you can adjust the white balance effectively in the computer. Congratulations to you and your daughter.

But can't you catch something from raw under cooked files???? :1247: I "shoot" manual, I "save" as Raw files to the SD card, unless I need a hurry up JPEG, in which case I'll save as Raw+. In my OP, I mentioned that the WB was adjusted by sampling the white programs. Thank you for looking/commenting and thank you for the congratulations. However, it was my granddaughter, not daughter who graduated.

@Gary A. I told the wife that "you" had highly recommended I get another new lens. Got a double eye roll on that one!!! LOL

But can't you catch something from raw under cooked files???? :1247: I "shoot" manual, I "save" as Raw files to the SD card, unless I need a hurry up JPEG, in which case I'll save as Raw+. In my OP, I mentioned that the WB was adjusted by sampling the white programs. Thank you for looking/commenting and thank you for the congratulations. However, it was my granddaughter, not daughter who graduated.

@Gary A. I told the wife that "you" had highly recommended I get another new lens. Got a double eye roll on that one!!! LOL

Then congratulations to you and your grand daughter.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Be aware that most 'white' paper actually has a distinct and purposeful blue tint.
Which is why a calibrated gray card (equal RGB channel values)works so much better for setting white balance.

Don't leave home without one of these:
GENUINE WhiBal G7 Certified Neutral White Balance Card - Pocket Card (2.1"x3.35")

Based on the quality of the light I'd say that the blue in the paper was mixing with the yellow to make green crud. Had one of these Vello White Balance Card Set for Digital Photography WB-CS B&H in my bag, but my arm wasn't long enough to get it out over the wall, because the light was different on the floor where she was. :1247: Their gowns were black, and there was a white strip that I also used, but it still needs some more work.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I've edited your photo in attempt to correct colors, I've might pushed a bit too much to the red side but I think it is more pleasing to the eye than yellow faces.
Regards,
EP

34663397895_fd3c0b38c6_b.jpg

Since it is probably a one off occasion, think about renting a f2.8 lens. You should be able to get one for a week for about $100.

I've edited your photo in attempt to correct color

Thank you, but I've already corrected them in the final. I posted them as they were in the OP to show the problems I had to deal with and looking for suggestions on dealing with these issues in camera for the future.

Since it is probably a one off occasio

The saying "never say never" comes to mind. The last time I was in this field house was to cover a speech by Jimmy Carter. Considering my age I might not be here that long in the future. LOL FYI I've already used all the new glass arguments on the wife and she isn't buying it........yet.

Most reactions

Back