Best 'bang for buck' digital SLR?

TBel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Currently I'm using a Sony DSC-v3, which is a decent camera but I'm looking to buy a digital SLR. But, I'm looking to recieve it as a Christmas present, so it can't be too too expensive, but I still want high quality.

I'm looking for a quality DSLR at 600 dollars or less, any suggestions?

TBel said:
Currently I'm using a Sony DSC-v3, which is a decent camera but I'm looking to buy a digital SLR. But, I'm looking to recieve it as a Christmas present, so it can't be too too expensive, but I still want high quality.

I'm looking for a quality DSLR at 600 dollars or less, any suggestions?
you wont find a new DSLR for that price. or if you do, it will be body only, no lense (which will cost you additional money).

IMHO, go with a canon XTi. amazing quality, and wont put too much of a dent in your pocket.

the other option is to buy second hand.

Nikon D50, hands down. Last I checked it was four or five hundred cheaper than the Xti and takes fantastic pictures.

An alternative would be the Pentax *ist DL, but it doesn't have NEARLY the system of glass and accessories behind it as Nikon and Canon do.

i didnt realize the d50 was so cheap (pricewise). $550 is definately in your budget. if all youre looking for is a cheap slr to learn on, then youll be fine with a d50 for now.

bitteraspects said:
i didnt realize the d50 was so cheap (pricewise). $550 is definately in your budget. if all youre looking for is a cheap slr to learn on, then youll be fine with a d50 for now.
The d50 actually leaves a lot of room to grow. Aside from the frame rate(2.5 fps) and lack of a finger dial, there's not much to complain about.

I was just looking up the d50 and it looks pretty promising... but would it really be worth it to drop 500 dollars on it when I already have a high-end non-SLR digital like the DSC-V3?

it depends what you want. ANY slr will give you more flexability in your shooting. if youre looking to take your photography up a notch, then any slr will do as far as allowing you to learn more. but if youre looking to get serious, id say save for a good camera, not the cheapest one on the market. the have those price tags for a reason.

If you can afford a new model it will have the extra and newer features on it. also of course 5 years down the line it will be better than an older model. The XTi is a good camera as is the nikon equiv. Stick to a name you know and one with the system back up. If you already have an SLR kit maybe a digital SLR from the same manufacturer will use the same system kit? could save some money there. Alternatively , now could be a good time to "Bite the bullet" and go for a better neweer system like the Canon/Nikon .

Most reactions

Back