Best Camera for $300

wow there are so many choices I am kind of overwhelmed. I wish there was a set winner in that kind of group but there seem to be a lot of options.

of all the cameras mentioned whether is be the canons I mentioned or the A720 or the other cameras mentioned. Is there one that shines above the rest?

Also what do you guys think about the canon S5 IS?

of all the cameras mentioned whether is be the canons I mentioned or the A720 or the other cameras mentioned. Is there one that shines above the rest?

Also what do you guys think about the canon S5 IS?

Your first post only mentioned image quality: "What I am looking for in a camera is something that takes pictures that are crystal clear. I want details to pop out and be seen. I want to feel as if I am looking at the real world image of what ever I took a picture of."

The S5 uses the same sensor and same Digic III operating system as the A720. The S5 compromises somewhat on image quality in favour of a long zoom. It has a twist-n-turn LCD like the 650 and it allows an external flash if that's of interest. It is not much smaller or less expensive than a DSLR, so it's not a camera that I would recommend to someone who has any interest in a DSLR.

There is no one camera that stands above all the rest because people have different priorites and use their cameras differently. Decide on what's important to you first, then you can narrow your choices.

I agree about the Canon Point and Shoot's. I have a Canon A620 (my wife's now), and it takes incredible pictures for a P&S.

Have you considered a used camera. I'd bet you could pick up a used XTI (check FS forums here) for your budget. Also, why not consider the regular Rebel XT? That's surely $90 under an XTI or less.

Your first post only mentioned image quality: "What I am looking for in a camera is something that takes pictures that are crystal clear. I want details to pop out and be seen. I want to feel as if I am looking at the real world image of what ever I took a picture of."

The S5 uses the same sensor and same Digic III operating system as the A720. The S5 compromises somewhat on image quality in favour of a long zoom. It has a twist-n-turn LCD like the 650 and it allows an external flash if that's of interest. It is not much smaller or less expensive than a DSLR, so it's not a camera that I would recommend to someone who has any interest in a DSLR.

There is no one camera that stands above all the rest because people have different priorites and use their cameras differently. Decide on what's important to you first, then you can narrow your choices.

So the A720 will give a better image than the S5? If so I will go with the A720.

I agree about the Canon Point and Shoot's. I have a Canon A620 (my wife's now), and it takes incredible pictures for a P&S.

Have you considered a used camera. I'd bet you could pick up a used XTI (check FS forums here) for your budget. Also, why not consider the regular Rebel XT? That's surely $90 under an XTI or less.

I looked into used XT and pretty much everything was $50+ over my budget. I really wouldn't mind going used as long as I know the thing isnt going to break down a month after I but it.

if its in good condition, and looks well look after, and you can see that absolutely everything on the camera works

im not sure theres alot that can go wrongggg

The Canon S5 is a very good choice but still a bit over your stated budget. However, the S3 is still available. It is still a very good camera and you can purchase it for probably $30+ less than the S5. (But I would probably stretch my budget a bit and get the S5.)

Have a good day.

Sorry have you actually seen these deals because if I can get an XT for my budget, ill do it in a heartbeat.

Ok guys after taking your advise I've narrowed my choices. At first I considered the Canon SD1100 IS due to the fact that it would be nice to take a picture, put the camera in my pocket, and keep walking. Yet after seeing some sample pictures I was not happy.

So now its down to these three:
Canon A650
Canon A720
Canon A590

I liked the A650 over both of them but was wondering if it was worst the over extra $100 for it over the other two. One of the posters above said the image quality between the A650 and the A720 was very similar. How does the A590 compare to the other two?

Once again, right now just looking for the best image quality.

I just got a new Canon XS100IS for $250. I really like it so far, I looked at the SD1000, but for about $50 you get 10x optical zoom, instead of 4x, that was a big factor for me. Here's a shot I got of the moon here in FL last night, I like the camera because I can put it in Manual mode and change the aperture and shutter speed an iso, etc.

NewCamera035c.jpg

So now its down to these three:
Canon A650
Canon A720
Canon A590

Once again, right now just looking for the best image quality.

IQ will be comparable on all three. Check this comparator, it contains samples from each. http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

What you need to do now is handle them all, because they are quite different in size. The 650 has a higher resolution flip LCD but the camera is quite a bit bigger than the 720. The 650 has better flash recycle times, but the 720 flash has better reach. The 590 is smaller than the 720 but only has 4X zoom. Frankly I found the 570 & 590 cameras a little too small and for about 20 bucks the extra zoom is nice to have. But if you want the most pocketable, it's the 590.

Bottom line, you won't go wrong with any of these.

its a 400 dollar camera with a 40 dollar card. Rebels on B&H are 409 and I got my 8gig card for around 90 bucks. It looks like going rate.

Maybe I misunderstand what you think is fake.

Its not american based though because its 350d instead of what the states use Rebel XT

On dell you can get Rebel XT with 18-55mm and 75-300mm with 1 gig card, bag, for 699.99

sorry I am used to seeing that Rebel XT logo on the bottom. Does that mean that if someone were to buy something like that they would not get US warranty and would have to say ship it out somewhere for it to be fixed?

Still in the end its the same exact camera?

I'm lurking around ebay for deals on XTs. I am willing to stretch the budget a little if it means a DSLR(good choice right?)

as far as the warranty goes I don't know. Same camera yes. In fact the manual I got with my camera says 350d I think with "/XT"

If you are willing to stretch your budget towards SLR than I suggest you get the Rebel with the 50mm f/1.8.

I have nothing against kit lenses but I wouldn't fight a war for them. the 50mm f/1.8 though was 90 bucks when I got it and its very quick and I've taken shots with as little as what seems to be end of cigarette light and the shot came out light.

I should have done this but just got back into photography and was anxious since my fiance let me spend money.

Most reactions

Back