Best DSLR *FOR VIDEO*!!

IanThePotato

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a YouTube channel and am disappointed with my old Camcorder. I want an upgrade, so I was going to go with a DSLR. I am looking for one around 399.99$ - 499.99$. I want it to have a Microphone input as well. I have seen the Canon T5, but it doesn't have a Mic Input. And an LCD screen that can rotate would be preferred. Any feedback would be appreciated :).

Thanks!

You're going to want a mic. I won't watch YouTube channels that have poor sound.

I meant I want the option to add an external mic ;)

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
One thing i do have to mention is that the live view of nikon is among the worst.

I have a D5300 that takes great photos and ALSO will take very nice video BUT!!! it's not a video camera and not nearly as easy to use for good video. Personally I would never recommend buying a DSLR for the purpose of shooting video. If you have a DSLR and need occasional video it's great.

Canon 70d, ticks all your boxes.

Just be aware that unlike a camcorder, most DSLRs do not perform continuous auto-focus when shooting video. That means if your subject distance moves (and since it's "video" that's probably going to be true) you'd either need to manually focus, or force the camera to perform auto-focus (but you'll see it "hunt" for focus in your recorded video.)

There are some DSLRs that will perform continuous auto-focus while recording video (and do a great job) but the price point on most of these models is currently closer to $1000 and up.

If this feature is important to you, you still might want to look for a camcorder.

From what I hear, Canon are the best when it comes to video work. I'm a Nikon user though, so I don't know which Canon to recommend.

On the Nikon side:
I think the Nikon D5500 is a great choice. My boyfriend had its older version the 5200. It captured great video and descent audio. The only issue is the, D5500 is almost $800. However, you may be able to find a good 5200 or 5300 for the price range your looking for.

Nikon D5300 on Adorama:
Nikon D5300

Nikon D5200 on Amazon:
Amazon.com : Nikon D5200 24.1 MP CMOS Digital SLR with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR NIKKOR Zoom Lens (Black) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) : Digital Camera : Camera & Photo

I recommend looking around on Adorama if you wanting a really good camera for your price range. You can probably find a good refurbished version of what you may be looking for. Adorama is pretty good and trustworthy. I got my Nikon D600 refurbished from there with an awesome 3 year warranty included.

Best of luck!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back