Best Way To Change Image Proportions

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Have several images that I need to resize in width only to fit a specific crop. In PS I can add to the canvas then either use the transform tool or select, copy paste on layer, but it's all time consuming. Is there another quicker way that I'm not aware of.

"Crop" is the magic word in my opinion. Crop it to the desired aspect ratio then resize as desired.

"Crop" is the magic word in my opinion. Crop it to the desired aspect ratio then resize as desired.

There in is the problem I don't have enough margins on either side to crop to the aspect ratio I want and not crop off the feet of the subject in the center of the image.

I think the best option I have seen used is the PS content aware scale. Put a layer with the size you want below your photo and then use the Transform - Content-aware Scale to add to one or both sides without affecting the aspect ratio of your main subject.

I think the best option I have seen used is the PS content aware scale. Put a layer with the size you want below your photo and then use the Transform - Content-aware Scale to add to one or both sides without affecting the aspect ratio of your main subject.

Thanks Dave, I'll check that out. Do you know if by content aware, assuming I have a person in the center of the image, will it leave the person alone, and not stretch them?

You could create a new image file with the width you want then copy-paste the layer in the middle of it - select transform the imported image layer to fit. Might be faster and simpler then adding to the canvas ?

@Dave442 Thanks for the tip. I was able to use the Content aware with a selection that protected the subject. Worked fast and simple. Word of warning, I didn't have anything detailed on the sides to contend with. If you do it won't work.

Most reactions

Back