Better newb setup, D5000 with 35mm or kit lens?

Digital Dustin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, I will be buying a D5000 soon and am at a crossroads here.
I can buy the kit or spend 100 dollars more and get a Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX.

The kits lens is more versatile but the quality is so much better with the 35 but comes with limitations. I wont have options of the different types of shot I would with a range of 18-55mm vs 35mm. I would have liked to buy the 50 1.4 but it is out of my budget range the boss(my wife) is allowing me.

So the question is, if you were buying your first "setup" which option would you go with?

A. D5000 kit
B. D5000 (body only) with Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX

Well, here's a simple question you should ask your self - how much do you know about photography?
It is a new trend to buy higher end gear, but kit lens although isn't the best - IS good enough for family pictures, it's good enough to learn photography and actually allow you to learn what other lens(es) you'll be needing.
Personally, I'm not looking into another prime ever again. I had enough of them with film and LOVE power and versatility of zoom lenses. If I'll ever change my style and begin using two bodies for EVERYTHING I do (from work to family) then perhaps I'll go primes but until then, I'll stick with decent zoom lens.]
Good luck and happy new year!

kit, i would prefer the versatility of the 15-55 or the 18-105 or w/e it comes with, to the 35 f/1.8 where you are fairly limited

thanx for the replies. Well I'm not trying to join the " I've taken pics with my first DSLR for 2 weeks now, I'm ready to go pro" club anytime soon. I'm just hoping to take some nice pics of the kids/family and some nice landscape shots to frame/mount all over the house. Being a pro photographer is not in my immediate plans, just a fun hobby for now.

Kids/family/landscape type shots ......
If I were you, I will get the camera with kit lens instead of the 35mm lens. Especially if you do not know why you need to choose the 35mm lens or the kit lens (Do you? :) )

Kids/family/landscape type shots ......
If I were you, I will get the camera with kit lens instead of the 35mm lens. Especially if you do not know why you need to choose the 35mm lens or the kit lens (Do you? :) )

I've got a pretty good idea but am no expert. I'm just trying to put together the best possible setup with the funds I have now, I'm not sure if I will be buying extra lenses in the near future.

If you are not planning to get a extra lens in the future, then get the kit lens or a better standard zoom lens. :)

35mm is just not wide enough. (At least for me) Go to a camera store and pick up a camera and set the focal length of the lens to 35mm and see if it is good enough for you. For landscape type shots, a lot of people use a focal length shorter than 35mm (especially on a cropped body).

If you are not planning to get a extra lens in the future, then get the kit lens or a better standard zoom lens. :)

35mm is just not wide enough. (At least for me) Go to a camera store and pick up a camera and set the focal length of the lens to 35mm and see if it is good enough for you. For landscape type shots, a lot of people use a focal length shorter than 35mm (especially on a cropped body).

got any suggestions for a better standard zoom lens? I've heard good things about the kit lens that comes with teh D90 but it is out of my price range. It doesnt have to be a pro lens or anything, just better than the kit lens.

I would buy the D5000 with the 18-55 kit zoom lens if I had only one zoom. The 35/1.8 prime would make a nice second lens, but is not wide enough for many indoor/outdoor family situations.

The next step up would be something like the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 zoom lens, which is in my estimation, a full step up from the kit lens, due to the constant f/2.8 aperture. Same basic focal length range as the kit zoom, but it admits four times more light at the longer end than the kit zoom, so the 17-50 will allow you to shoot without flash in many more situations.

My feeling is that the 18-55 f/3.5~5.6 kit lens is *really* designed to be used in conjunction with a good flash unit in almost all indoor social photography situations--or, with the pop-up flash on the camera at close ranges. I think your second needed accessory is a speedlight SB 600.

I would buy the D5000 with the 18-55 kit zoom lens if I had only one zoom. The 35/1.8 prime would make a nice second lens, but is not wide enough for many indoor/outdoor family situations.

The next step up would be something like the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 zoom lens, which is in my estimation, a full step up from the kit lens, due to the constant f/2.8 aperture. Same basic focal length range as the kit zoom, but it admits four times more light at the longer end than the kit zoom, so the 17-50 will allow you to shoot without flash in many more situations.

My feeling is that the 18-55 f/3.5~5.6 kit lens is *really* designed to be used in conjunction with a good flash unit in almost all indoor social photography situations--or, with the pop-up flash on the camera at close ranges. I think your second needed accessory is a speedlight SB 600.

awesome suggestion, I appreciate it.

Until you know for sure that you really need or want either a 35mm or 50mm prime, that focal length is already covered in the kit lenses.

Once you have a camera body and kit lens or two, a good flash is WAY more important than more lenses. Learn to use what you have to it's potential, THEN upgrade to something better.

I also vote for the 18-55mm zoom. A good lens and far more flexible than a 35mm.

Most reactions

Back