480sparky

Chief Free Electron Relocator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
pixels.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Sauntered into the local camera store yesterday and spotted a slightly rare lens in the Used Nikon case: A Nikkor Reflex 500mm f/8N.

After sleeping on it last night, I went back this morning and picked "Big Daddy" up.

500ReflexHC.jpg

Came with the hood, a Tiffen 82mm Haze filter, cap and L39C rear filter.

What is that particular lens used for? What will you use it for? F/8 is fairly slow...

What is that particular lens used for? What will you use it for? F/8 is fairly slow...

Well, it's a 500mm. It's used for pretty much any use a 500mm would be used for.

Yes, f/8 is slow, but I don't use long lenses enough to justify lugging around an f/4 500mm the size of a shoulder-mounted rocket launcher.

I have the earlier version, excellent lens.

Its a good long telephoto in daylight, also used on a telescope mount for night shots.

Im trying to see this in perspective... its a fixed 500mm that uses an 82mm filter. My 24-70 2.8g uses a 77mm filter and that seems big to me. That lens must be very awkward looking due to how stubby it is on a camera body.

Can we see it on the D600 for perspective? =)

Being able use a 500mm on a hiking trip without the need for a large bag is pretty cool!

Congrats on that sweet lens

Im trying to see this in perspective... its a fixed 500mm that uses an 82mm filter. My 24-70 2.8g uses a 77mm filter and that seems big to me. .......

You really don't put filters on lenses like this. ND filters make them impossible to focus, and there's really no reason to put a CPL or anything else in front of it.

.....Can we see it on the D600 for perspective? =) ........!

Nikkor500ReflexNC2.jpg

............Being able use a 500mm on a hiking trip without the need for a large bag is pretty cool!

It's not a perfect substitute for a traditional long lens. There are drawbacks. But for the price, it'll get you there!

Haha yeah its an awesome carry size. Nice find, cant wait to see images from it.

Haha yeah its an awesome carry size. Nice find, cant wait to see images from it.

If I've whetted your whistle for one of these, DO NOT buy one on ebay for $129 or $159 or $179. You'll quickly get rid of it. The vast majority of new mirror lenses today are absolute j u n k.

If I've whetted your whistle for one of these, DO NOT buy one on ebay for $129 or $159 or $179. You'll quickly get rid of it. The vast majority of new mirror lenses today are absolute j u n k.

Yeah I cant justify it for how much I would use it, but I sure can appreciate it and live through others.

Don't think I've ever seen a Nikon lens sell for such wildly varying prices as these. I've borrowed them from friends and found the OOF hi-lite "donuts" to be the only thing I didn't like.

Agree that not all mirror lenses are created equal...

Don't think I've ever seen a Nikon lens sell for such wildly varying prices as these. .....

That's because there's a lot of different models and versions.

As for the donut bokeh, sometimes its unavoidable. But sometimes you can mitigate and even eliminate it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back