Bison Photos for WildForever

robbins.photo

Yup, It's The Zoo Guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Since the topic came up recently I thought it might be helpful to post a couple of Bison shots with settings used, not that I'm claiming these are the end all be all of Bison shots you understand but they are some of the ones I've taken that I like best:

20140405 1176 by robbins.photo, on Flickr

Shutter 1/500, Aperture 4.5, ISO 100

20140420 N85 455 by robbins.photo, on Flickr

Shutter 1/400 Aperture 4.0 ISO 100

20140419 S200 1011 by robbins.photo, on Flickr

Shutter 1/500 Aperture 5.6 ISO 320

20140420 s200 363 by robbins.photo, on Flickr

Shutter 1/400 Aperture 6.3 ISO 100

Mmmmmmm, Bison. Nice shots

Nice photos but you made in zoo I suppose, please correct me if I'm worng. No doubts it becomes much more difficult to make such photos in wild nature when you can't get too close to an animal or shoot as many times as you want because the animal can't leave enclosure. I think WildForever worries more about composition and a moment but not exposure settings.

Nice photos but you made in zoo I suppose, please correct me if I'm worng. No doubts it becomes much more difficult to make such photos in wild nature when you can't get too close to an animal or shoot as many times as you want because the animal can't leave enclosure. I think WildForever worries more about composition and a moment but not exposure settings.

Actually no these are not shot at a zoo, but these critters are not exactly roaming free over the plains either. That's just not something you see all that often - in fact as far as I know pretty much never. The closest thing to seeing a "wild" bison you'll find will be at a huge national park like Yellowstone, and while they do have a pretty large area that they can roam around in they aren't truly "wild" in the traditional sense. As it is these Bison are from a local safari park, and while they don't have unfettered freedom to wander anywhere they please, such as out to the interstate, etc - they do have acres and acres of land that they do have access to and roam freely across.

As to why I included the exposure settings, there were some issues with Wildforever's shutter speed that was causing the ISO to get rather high, therefore I thought this might be helpful to include. By all means though if you have some compositional tips to add feel free.

Unfortunaly my attempts to make a picture of a bison in Belovezhskaya pushcha weren't very successful. The one I saw out of an enclosure in the forest (not truly wild of course) was staying in bushes so even I had plenty of time I just couldn't find a good point of view. Also I had only 18-105 with me so it also restricted.
This is one the pictures
$bison in pushcha.jpg

Attachments

• $Зубр в Беловежс&#1.jp
    $Зубр в Беловежс&#1.jp
    615.8 KB · Views: 72
Every one of those is significantly better than any Bison picture I have ever taken.

Fun Activity for the Day: See if you guess how many Bison pictures I've taken. :lmao:

Ok, well if everyone of those is better than any you've taken.. my guess would have to be none. The big nada enchilada.. because I've seen your pics and they are awesome.

Unfortunaly my attempts to make a picture of a bison in Belovezhskaya pushcha weren't very successful. The one I saw out of an enclosure in the forest (not truly wild of course) was staying in bushes so even I had plenty of time I just couldn't find a good point of view. Also I had only 18-105 with me so it also restricted.
This is one the pictures

I really hate it when they get off in the tall grass like that, or in one of the dozens of stands of trees - no way your getting a good shot through all the branches. There is one bull in particular who also seems to have a perfect knowledge of the minimum focusing distance of any lens I'm using - because the minute he sees me coming he will close that gap. Only thing worse than a buffalo genius is a smart alecky buffalo genius.. lol

Great shots of the Bison :)

Nice shots! I particularly like the 2nd.

This is one the pictures

I really hate it when they get off in the tall grass like that, or in one of the dozens of stands of trees - no way your getting a good shot through all the branches. There is one bull in particular who also seems to have a perfect knowledge of the minimum focusing distance of any lens I'm using - because the minute he sees me coming he will close that gap. Only thing worse than a buffalo genius is a smart alecky buffalo genius.. lol

And this genius bufallo lives in other continent that why I couldn't make a good photo:D

Very good shots! I always have problems with the lighting............ buffalo are very dark around their faces and head area. I'm learning to wait, and to look for the sun to light the head better.

The waters dropping off of the bison in #3 looks amazing.. Great shots robbins. :)

Nice shots, #3 in particular. I'd be glad of a fence or some restrictions between me and them when they look like that

Most reactions

Back